Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 03:41 PM

644 posts, read 1,146,065 times

Advertisements

I have a job that I could get in Columbia, SC, but I'm in Florence, SC. It's about an hour and 30 minutes away from me. The problem is I don't have a car and my funds aren't looking too good, but I need a job ASAP and this career counselor told me I pretty much have the job. I asked my dad to take me, but he absolutely refuses which I almost had to give up on the job completely.

I thought about just taking a risk a just buying a car to drive myself, but don't you have to have proof of employment before you buy a car? I never owned a car before, but I'm desperate and I need a job ASAP.

No rude replies, please. I would appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,102,354 times
I can't blame your father for not wanting to make two three hour round trips a day.

How will you buy a car without money? You can't get a loan without proof of employment, and you don't have a job technically.

Frankly I think you need to rethink this and find something closer to home that you can walk, ride a bike or take the bus to. I can't believe an employer would even offer a job to someone without reliable transportation who lives that far away. Something just isn't adding up here.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,700,230 times
You DO NOT need proof of employment to buy a car. You will need prove of insurance. You probably will be required to show proof of employment if you are financiang the car. There are some good topic on how to buy a used car, how to get a good temp car until you can get something better, and how to get a car for trasnportation versus a car for looks on the cheap, in the Automobile Forum of CD.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I can't blame your father for not wanting to make two three hour round trips a day.

How will you buy a car without money? You can't get a loan without proof of employment, and you don't have a job technically.

Frankly I think you need to rethink this and find something closer to home that you can walk, ride a bike or take the bus to. I can't believe an employer would even offer a job to someone without reliable transportation who lives that far away. Something just isn't adding up here.
Who said he would have to do it more than once anyway? Columbia isn't even that far for a day trip. He drives more than that in a day buying cigarettes.

I can't work closer to home because there's nothing here. I actually have a chance of getting this job because this person I know in Columbia has connections there. Employers don't need to know your personal business nor do they care quite frankly. They don't need to know how I'm going to get to work.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You DO NOT need proof of employment to buy a car. You will need prove of insurance. You probably will be required to show proof of employment if you are financiang the car. There are some good topic on how to buy a used car, how to get a good temp car until you can get something better, and how to get a car for trasnportation versus a car for looks on the cheap, in the Automobile Forum of CD.
Thanks!

I have been looking into used cars around here, but some of them are just as much as a new car. I haven't found one that's dirt cheap.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:08 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,102,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Who said he would have to do it more than once anyway? Columbia isn't even that far for a day trip. He drives more than that in a day buying cigarettes.

I can't work closer to home because there's nothing here. I actually have a chance of getting this job because this person I know in Columbia has connections there.
OK, so how will you get there day after day?

If it's that important to you, take Greyhound.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
OK, so how will you get there day after day?

If it's that important to you, take Greyhound.
Do what some people I know and stay at a hotel until I get an apartment. I've already started looking.

I thought about the Greyhound, but it's cheaper and safer to go there by personal vehicle.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:00 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,522,079 times
Some options:

Rent an extended stay motel/apartment for a month. If it is within walking distance, and there are stores around, you can get by.
You'd be able to save and then put something down on a used car.

Talk to the people at the extended stay and say you're going to be there awhile and ask for a deal. You're guaranteeing them some real business.

I've driven close to 2 hours each way to a job, and it just drained the heck out of me.

If you can't find an extended stay, see if you can rent a room somewhere. You don't have to move all your things.

My last job, I drove pretty far, about 1.5 hours each way, and I was spending about $500+ a month on gas. I have a pretty efficient little car too.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:02 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,522,079 times
PS, You could try driving there in "rush hour" and back in "rush hour" if you are going to work 8-5 and see how the drive is.

I had one job that was a little more than 1 hour away, and it wasn't a bad drive at all....

Old 07-18-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Some options:

Rent an extended stay motel/apartment for a month. If it is within walking distance, and there are stores around, you can get by.
You'd be able to save and then put something down on a used car.

Talk to the people at the extended stay and say you're going to be there awhile and ask for a deal. You're guaranteeing them some real business.

I've driven close to 2 hours each way to a job, and it just drained the heck out of me.

If you can't find an extended stay, see if you can rent a room somewhere. You don't have to move all your things.

My last job, I drove pretty far, about 1.5 hours each way, and I was spending about $500+ a month on gas. I have a pretty efficient little car too.
Oh wow, $500 a month?! Yeah that's crazy.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking about doing. I'm already looking at some affordable one room apartments and looking at some cheap cars.

So far I started with this sales job(it REALLY sucks...it's door to door) and I'm ready to quit already. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment