Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:51 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,687 times

Advertisements

Why is there always this association between college education and monetary greed? It's not about having money. It's about adding real value to your country by continuing to create and innovate, and that's not going to happen if the majority of your citizens have jobs that require little or no thought.

I did go to college because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life as a fast food employee, and thank god I don't have to deal with unions or any of that hell. I am an educated person who is not reduced to committing crimes in order to stay alive, nor am I afflicted with ignorance to an extent that I'm unable to approximate real civilized humanity. A country where people do not seek higher education is nothing to be proud of; it means a country full of people like fanatical Bible Belt science-beaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 02:01 AM

394 posts, read 1,007,047 times
plumbing and electrical apprenticeships in this state run 4 to 5 years [if you pass the state exam the first time], and you have to complete so many hrs a year of continuing education to renew your license. but plumbers and electricians make pretty decent money in these parts [probably 50k to 90k yr journeyman maybe more, not sure 25k to 50k apprentice] and there's a shortage of skilled labor in these trades. there's also a big push to recruit more women into these trades. it's not for everyone though

Last edited by scootertrash61; 01-06-2008 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: ;

Old 01-06-2008, 07:59 AM

782 posts, read 3,789,003 times
It depends on what area you live in.Refuse collector make a nice living.The scale driver here in chicagoland make 73k on average 50 hours a week.I will encorage my kids to get in a trade,but go to a least a community college to see is college for them.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:51 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
No. A college education is needed in todays society. I would never do my children an injustice by NOT encouraging getting educated. NOW, that being said..if they said I want to run my own Day Spa , I would encourage being an entrepreneaur--getting a 4 year degree in business...AND then pursuing the neccessary vocational skill to complement it.

But to go to "nail school" to make 8 bucks an hour...nope..wouldnt do that.
I must know at least 20 guys (3 work for me) that have collage degrees in some obscure area that has no realtionship to thier job. They earn far less then my non-collegiate self and are still paying of student loans. How can we expect to make a kid make a decision that will effect his whole life and their brain still is not completly formed????

Old 02-20-2011, 08:50 AM

35 posts, read 57,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
And as far as NOT affording college..good grades can equal scholarships and assistance..and yes...any financial advisor will tell you student loan debt is GOOD debt.
Debt is Debt. There is no such thing as good debt. It's just a marketing term made up by the lending institutions.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:42 AM

935 posts, read 2,411,059 times
Personally, I would encourage my kids to do what they want to do with their lives. If they said they want to be an actress or a writer I would advise them to also have a more stable secondary job interest in mind since I know many individuals in these fields who had to work as a bartender or administrative assistant before their writing or acting careers really took off (and some are still waiting for it to take off). However, I've seen parents who pressured their kids into business or medicine and a lot of them end up miserable and with low self-confidence b/c they do not control their own lives. There might be adults who are glad their parents told them to go into a field of study but I'm still waiting to see it.

Would I encourage them to enter a blue collar career? I guess it depends on what you would consider "encourage". If you mean tell them: "No, you're not going to become a CNN reporter. You're going to become a plumber/beautician and like it," then I would say NOOOOO. If you mean: "You want to be a plumber? Go for it," then yes. I wouldn't want my parents picking my career for me and I don't want to force my kids into a career that would make them miserable (regardless of money). I know from my own experience that making $10.00 and hour and working part-time at a great job is better than working $12 an hour full-time for a company that bores me.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:45 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post

Would you encourage your kids to learn a trade? How about being a:

Electrician, Plumber, Drafter, Barber, Baker, Cook, Truck Driver, Auto Mechanic
It depends. At first, like when they're 17 years old, I would not. But, if they're 29 years old sitting around the house smoking pot and posting on City-Data Forum all day with no job and no college education, sure, I'd encourage it.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 AM

935 posts, read 2,411,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Why is there always this association between college education and monetary greed? It's not about having money. It's about adding real value to your country by continuing to create and innovate, and that's not going to happen if the majority of your citizens have jobs that require little or no thought.

I did go to college because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life as a fast food employee, and thank god I don't have to deal with unions or any of that hell. I am an educated person who is not reduced to committing crimes in order to stay alive, nor am I afflicted with ignorance to an extent that I'm unable to approximate real civilized humanity. A country where people do not seek higher education is nothing to be proud of; it means a country full of people like fanatical Bible Belt science-beaters.
I totally agree. Don't get me wrong, I know plenty of religious people--including people earning their PhD's in the sciences--who are college graduates. Also, there are some people who slack off in college and it does not make them any wiser. However, college has the potential to broaden your mind and make you feel as though you're not just some slave to forces beyond your control.

It's frustrating living in a Southern region which sees a college degree with this expression and doesn't hire you b/c you're "overqualified". There have been days when I wonder if having a degree was a bad thing for a resume. However, I enjoy learning and I feel less trapped with a college degree.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:03 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Whatever, dude.

I had a 'master' electrician do some work at my house.

Said he charges $140 an hour, not including materials.

Doctors don't make $140 an hour.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:06 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Whatever, dude.

I had a 'master' electrician do some work at my house.

Said he charges $140 an hour, not including materials.

Doctors don't make $140 an hour.

What percent of "master electricians" make more than doctors and what percent of doctors make more than "master electricians"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment