Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 05:34 PM

947 posts, read 3,573,282 times

Advertisements

I never went to college.. and actually never finished high school. I guess I have what would be considered a "blue collar" job.. it's not quite blue collar, not quite white collar.

While my parents aren't proud of the fact I didn't finish my education, what matters to them is that Im happy, which I am. As long as Im happy, that's what counts to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 06:33 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,439,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek2007 View Post
I never went to college.. and actually never finished high school. I guess I have what would be considered a "blue collar" job.. it's not quite blue collar, not quite white collar.

While my parents aren't proud of the fact I didn't finish my education, what matters to them is that Im happy, which I am. As long as Im happy, that's what counts to them.

Wooow man I felt identified with you, I didn't even finish high school either and my parents specially my father who is a Gastronenterologist always tell me that I should do it hehehehehe but I've never really felt the need to have a formal education to make a living, internet has been my school.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:23 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,659,555 times
Blue Collar? Heck yes, with a good skill you can make 6 figures here....

Old 10-21-2007, 10:13 PM

947 posts, read 3,573,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Wooow man I felt identified with you, I didn't even finish high school either and my parents specially my father who is a Gastronenterologist always tell me that I should do it hehehehehe but I've never really felt the need to have a formal education to make a living, internet has been my school.
Yeha, I'm lucky.. my parents support whatever I do which is really cool!

Old 10-22-2007, 09:33 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,633,610 times
Go for what your calling is.You CAN make it with or without a College degree. I'm in the trades industry and making a very good living and never went to any type of schooling as i learned all on the job. My sisiter is a school teacher and not happy with the monies she makes with her teaching degrees.

I know of HVAC technicians making over 100,000 a year in Phoenix Az with no degree or of Long Haul Truck Drivers making 80,000 a year. People working in the Shipyards in Norfolk Va where i was stationed in the Navy who learned on the job to be Pipefitters/Shipfitters and were making big money etc..etc...

I understand not glamerous but i think you get my point and you can make it if you are willing to work hard and learn. So again go for either College or Trades as both can be a good living in my personal experience....

Old 10-22-2007, 03:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
very interesting post. i have a 15 yr old now and it's something that i've asked myself. i think i have been brainwashed to think that we should all go to college ...not everyone needs a degree. ... i find that knowing a trade does pay off in most cases. you can go to a 2 yr community college and become a dental hygienist and make $30/hr or become an HVAC person or become a plumber. whatever. these people make decent middle income wages--which alot of college grads do NOT these days. i will support my child either way he decides. i actually think it's too bad people are not realistic and tell their kids its okay to go to trade school. a college degree is a joke if you pick the wrong major.

fully agree, ours were home schooled so they each had to build a home from scratch. They hated it, but it kept them in college ... It beat the alternative I offered them! (Dairy farm boarding school )
They had to do all car repairs as well, including one engine rebuild. I feel they got a shot stick, as I was a farm kid and had a lot more variety of learnings and more work...they seem to be surviving on their college ed, and paying bills (including student loans).

I would suggest a skilled apprenticeship age 13 - 17, (almost sounds 'historic') then work their way through college (in a different field) using the skill. After that, they can choose military or a career of choice (which will probably be something totally different than their learned ones )

I survived and supported the family on a blue collar job, which unfortunately led to a white collar job (less pay + a lay-off). My blue collar co-workers are still cranking handles, and I'm back in school (not that I would to switch positions with them) School seems so much better than work, at my age...

It's definitely a different work / career culture nowadays, I would hang my hat on a broad knowledge base, which probably would include a skill + some college. There seem to be plenty of BoZos doing jobs they are not skilled at, anyone with good work ethic is highly sought after.

But each to his own, it is most important to be pleased with your job, and find it personally rewarding. Money is nice, but not worth wasting your life to get. One lawsuit or medical problem, (or divorce) can clean out the bank. Poof --- "start-over-time"

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-22-2007 at 03:58 PM..

Old 10-23-2007, 04:13 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
Well, I just posted this on the Education forum. I think some of the nay-sayers should have a look at it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/educa...ml#post1804602

Old 10-24-2007, 03:50 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,151,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
More and more kids today are going to college and not going into a trade. Many of them leave the University $50K in debt without a real skill. They end up working in a job they hate and struggle to pay back the loans.

Why don't more kids go into trade school and learn a real job skill. Blue Collar work is what built America, but few people tend to go to trade school anymore.

Would you encourage your kids to learn a trade? How about being a:

Electrician, Plumber, Drafter, Barber, Baker, Cook, Truck Driver, Auto Mechanic
If that's what they wanted to do and I thought it had a future (some professions don't, blue and white collar), sure...why not?

Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 AM

153 posts, read 460,214 times
I think that the key word here is "skill". If my kids had a plan to acquire a marketable skill in a good field, I would support them. But my first preference would be a four year degree.

I myself do not have a degree, but I make a very good living at a "white collar" job in IT without one. I had a strong interest in my field and the desire to climb up the ladder...I started right out of high school doing data entry and now am in management.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:54 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
More and more kids today are going to college and not going into a trade. Many of them leave the University $50K in debt without a real skill. They end up working in a job they hate and struggle to pay back the loans.

Why don't more kids go into trade school and learn a real job skill. Blue Collar work is what built America, but few people tend to go to trade school anymore.

Would you encourage your kids to learn a trade? How about being a:

Electrician, Plumber, Drafter, Barber, Baker, Cook, Truck Driver, Auto Mechanic
No, I encourage my kids to be doctors, lawyers, engineers, dentists, scientists, mathematicians, and so forth. My goal is to make sure they do better than me, which should be the goal of every parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment