Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:12 AM

786 posts, read 4,734,240 times

Advertisements

More and more kids today are going to college and not going into a trade. Many of them leave the University $50K in debt without a real skill. They end up working in a job they hate and struggle to pay back the loans.

Why don't more kids go into trade school and learn a real job skill. Blue Collar work is what built America, but few people tend to go to trade school anymore.

Would you encourage your kids to learn a trade? How about being a:

Electrician, Plumber, Drafter, Barber, Baker, Cook, Truck Driver, Auto Mechanic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 08:32 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,191,469 times
IF that's what they wanted to do, yes...

After all, how much do YOU pay to have an electrician come out to your house? Or a plumber per hour when things go wrong?

Electricians

Quote:
In May 2004, median hourly earnings of electricians were $20.33. The middle 50 percent earned between $15.43 and $26.90. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $12.18, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $33.63. Median hourly earnings in the industries employing the largest numbers of electricians in May 2004 were as follows:
Motor vehicle parts manufacturing $30.04
Local government 22.24
Nonresidential building construction 19.99
Building equipment contractors 19.76
Employment services 15.62

Apprentices usually start at between 40 and 50 percent of the rate paid to fully trained electricians, depending on experience. As apprentices become more skilled, they receive periodic pay increases throughout the course of their training.

Some electricians are members of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. Among unions representing maintenance electricians are the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers; the International Union of Electronic, Electrical, Salaried, Machine, and Furniture Workers; the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers; the International Union, United Automobile, Aircraft and Agricultural Implement Workers of America; and the United Steelworkers of America.
Hiring a Qualified Plumber | Plumbing | THIS OLD HOUSE

Quote:
What You'll Pay
The bill for emergency plumbing is almost always a shock. Are plumbers just taking advantage? Occasionally, but the short duration of the work contributes to the high rates. Though the plumber might spend only an hour at your home, you pay for his time (driving to and from the job, picking up parts) and more.

For a plumber specializing in drain-clearing services, expect to pay at least $70 per hour for drain lines and $125 per hour for sewer lines. Most problems can be fixed in an hour. For weekend or night calls, add $30 to the hourly rate.

For basic plumbing services, such as leak repair or installing new traps, you'll pay $45 to $65 per hour in addition to parts, which the plumber will mark up from his wholesale price. For weekend or night calls, you'll pay as much as $100 just for the call and $75 an hour after that. At these rates, you don't want to spend much time chatting, but do ask what the repair/parts options are and get advice on how to prevent the problem from recurring.
Liz

Old 07-16-2007, 09:20 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,908,956 times
No. A college education is needed in todays society. I would never do my children an injustice by NOT encouraging getting educated. NOW, that being said..if they said I want to run my own Day Spa , I would encourage being an entrepreneaur--getting a 4 year degree in business...AND then pursuing the neccessary vocational skill to complement it.

But to go to "nail school" to make 8 bucks an hour...nope..wouldnt do that.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:31 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
Yes I would! Expecially a girl. If she doesn't have a strong interest in something, she'll probably just take the usual liberal arts courses. Office work is boring and not exciting, but it will pay the rent. A short time at a good business school learning basic bookkeeping, might pay off better than four years at college. But if she has the drive or interest for something special, a college degree will pay off in the long run. It will get promotions to supervisory or administrative positions.

I had a clerk working for me once that felt she should be paid more because she had a college education and the other women didn't (neither did I) Her degree was in English Literature. All she needed to know for her job was the alphabet and how to run a tape on an adding machine. Needless to say, she didn't get the raise. The worse was that she had to pay off her student loan and the others didn't. Then she go married and quit working. Her husband could pay off her loan. She wasn't even especially bright. Her college degree wasn't worth much in the Real World.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:37 AM

Nail school...maybe, and even some of those in some states are THREE year programs.

But there are many trades that a 4 year degree makes NO sense. And spending tens of thousands would be a waste when going for just two years may be all that is needed.

College Vs. No College - Forbes.com

Going to a Community College and getting a trade degree makes far more sense. A well rounded trade degree gives them the solid back ground needed to succeed in their chosen profession, without incurring tens of thousands in debt. Liz

Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 AM

578 posts, read 2,530,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
More and more kids today are going to college and not going into a trade. Many of them leave the University $50K in debt without a real skill. They end up working in a job they hate and struggle to pay back the loans.

Why don't more kids go into trade school and learn a real job skill. Blue Collar work is what built America, but few people tend to go to trade school anymore.

Would you encourage your kids to learn a trade? How about being a:

Electrician, Plumber, Drafter, Barber, Baker, Cook, Truck Driver, Auto Mechanic
Uh, its kinda bourgeois isn't it? Some of us (majority) cant afford college for our kids; we just want them to NOT GET KILLED, FINISH SCHOOL, and FIND A LEGAL OCCUPATION.
I would rather have my son pulling up in the driveway of a Doctor/Lawyer to FIX HIS SEPTIC TANK for $80 (just for the diagnosis of sewer system)...wouldn't you? My son is a software tech: He is like the 'Geek Squad" when the fancy-schmancy stockbroker/banker, etc. has a computer that freezes up, crashes & burns ...He tells them "here, just move" out of the way. Like Sat.night live character "nick burns the company computer guy". Wouldn't you like to fix the lighting or garage door of that white collar guy? The Vocational Tech. Schools teach making a fortune with their hands/sweat/muscles. I know PLENTY OF BLUE COLLAR guys that have boats, take european vacations ...>SO WHATS THE DIFFERENCE OF BEING BLUE OR WHITE COLLAR? That is an antiquated idea, along with being presumptively snobbish. Almost insulting making me want to say "how dare you? like you're sh*t dont stink" or something.
The "White collars" dont get their hands dirty; but are LOST and confused without "US" Blue collar, union folks, thats for sure.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:53 AM

My husband is "white collar", and engineer (thankfully a computer geek tho).

I am the one who runs a business out of the house, I remove spyware from people's computers like your son from the Geek Squad. I taught myself. And yes, I've dealt with professionals (like doctors, dentists, etc) who were absolutely clueless when it comes to computers. They spent fortunes getting their degree, I just spent TIME.

Amazing, isn't it??? Liz

Old 07-16-2007, 10:08 AM

982 posts, read 3,308,107 times
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being 'blue collar.' If my kids want to have a blue collar trade, they're more than welcome. But they will get that sheepskin - period. I don't care if it's a degree in basket weaving from Podunk University. My parents pounded the value of an education into me, but I didn't understand what they were talking about - until I entered the workforce without one. I have over 100 hours of college credit and nothing to show for it. Not having a degree hurts; heck, we're getting to the point where a bachelor's isn't enough anymore. Just having that piece of paper opens up more doors,(hopefully) provides a little more job security, and keeps options open if they want to do something different later on in life.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:13 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,908,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being 'blue collar.' If my kids want to have a blue collar trade, they're more than welcome. But they will get that sheepskin - period. I don't care if it's a degree in basket weaving from Podunk University. My parents pounded the value of an education into me, but I didn't understand what they were talking about - until I entered the workforce without one. I have over 100 hours of college credit and nothing to show for it. Not having a degree hurts; heck, we're getting to the point where a bachelor's isn't enough anymore. Just having that piece of paper opens up more doors,(hopefully) provides a little more job security, and keeps options open if they want to do something different later on in life.

Wonderul POST....especially the comment on having that "little ole" piece of paper... That little piece of paper opens up doors and gets you an interview..it doesnt guarantee a job..but it opens up doors....and honestly even a 4 year degree is "average" at best these days...people are going for more.

But you know what I like the best..is when the non-traditional student (above the age of 30)..realizes this..and GOES BACK for a degree because they realized not having one, wont cut the mustard. That is really cool.

And of course if you are in IT..you can sort of be self taught and run a biz from home...not doubt you dont need a degree for that..but still to go off an encourage NOT getting one...

And as far as NOT affording college..good grades can equal scholarships and assistance..and yes...any financial advisor will tell you student loan debt is GOOD debt.

I dont understand why a parent would not encourage a college degree.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:16 AM

578 posts, read 2,530,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
No. A college education is needed in todays society. I would never do my children an injustice by NOT encouraging getting educated. NOW, that being said..if they said I want to run my own Day Spa , I would encourage being an entrepreneaur--getting a 4 year degree in business...AND then pursuing the neccessary vocational skill to complement it.

But to go to "nail school" to make 8 bucks an hour...nope..wouldnt do that.
Uh, where did you get the idea that a Nail Tech. only makes $8 hr.? They get $25-50 PER CLIENT ...booking every 30 min. generally. If you dont own your own salon; then all you pay is the 'booth rental space' usually. Thats here in Mich. If someone you know is only making $8hr. either they LIED to get a better tip...or they are stupid for getting suckered by a pimping-shop owner. Sorry, just telling it like I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment