Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:35 AM

732 posts, read 4,158,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Yes with lots of overtime. Same with the telephone company outside craft people. Do you know how hard those jobs are to get? They probably have 10,000 applicants for every job.
I have one of those and they arent that hard to get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 08:29 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
I have one of those and they arent that hard to get
I have one too and it took me 20 years to get it!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:31 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,403,757 times
Just a reminder, the original poster is LONG GONE.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I have one too and it took me 20 years to get it!
Which do you work in?

Old 12-08-2007, 06:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
Which do you work in?
I work for ATT in DLC

Old 12-09-2007, 08:17 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Quote:
Electrician and plumber are good only if you can get a union gig and then only after a 5 year apprenticeship period.
Spoken like somebody who doesn't really have a clue about these professions. Where are you talking about? Some areas are strong union, some are not. Even in strong union states there are plenty of non-union contractors in either profession. In general, Yes they do hire, yes they do pay better than average for the respective areas. No it isn't easy to get a job as either an Electrician or a plumber because there is just so many jobs an area can handle, and there is just so many a contractor can hire. Just the same as any job or profession, either white or blue collar. The union apprenticeship period is 5 years, yes. A regular apprenticeship is 4 years, then if you also meet the minimum amount of on the job hours, you can go test for your journeyman license. Another 2 years or 4000 hours and you can go test for your Masters. This is in general for all the states I am aware of.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:15 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,751,787 times
Quote:
The only 2 blue collar trades I would recommend to any kid are either Automotive mechanic or body tech OR HVAC tech. Those both are fairly secure and they pay decently.
I'd add electrical. 1) we can't do anything without electrical and 2) unlike plumbing and some of the other trades the high tech industry has impacted the need for more skilled workers.

DH works on medium and high voltage electrical and there's a shortage of workers qualified to work on 15kV equipment. We've got one kid working for us who started out as a "green" helper trying to make enough cash to pay for his car. Now he realizes the potential and has asked DH to mentor him. DH is 50 and in the top handful of guys with his skill set. And he's the youngest of that group with no real up and comers behind him.

It's a specialty within the trade but it's also one that hasn't been impacted by the economy as much as other trades. Even if new construction slows, equipment that is falling apart (or blown up) will need to be maintained, repaired or replaced.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:22 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,106,004 times
When I have kids I'd just tell them what my dad told me.

After a while its gonna be work and you're going to hate going in.

Find something else you enjoy.

Find something that will let you make time for your family.

I'd rather have a happy, smart, self reliant carpenter or plumber for a child, vs. an overworked doctor who gets divorced because they never see their spouse.

I tried teaching hated it after 2 years. Way to overworked and never paid enough to do more than live hand to mouth.

I'm going into the medical field and I'm deciding against being a doctor because the hours expected of them for the residency would mean my fiance and I would never see each other. Enough doctors I have met said they wish they had done something else that I've decided its not worth destroying myself. How can I help people if I'm a shattered emotional wreck?

Just whatever they do, get good at it and charge a fair wage. Be honest.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:06 AM

Be careful being a doctor. You will rack up in excess of $100,000+ in student loans and all the other BS. And dont even get me started on starting your own practice. It's not something you do for a few years to get rich. It will take you years just to get out of debt again.

But if you do it over your whole life thats another story.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Given the rising popularity of gambling I would suggest blackjack dealer. The hours are lousy and you have to deal with crazy people but it is indoor work and you never have to restore high voltage power lines in a blizzard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment