Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
As an employee, it is reasonable for me to assume that anything not locked up tight could be gone.
Bottom line, what I do to MY LUNCH is my business. Anyone who steals or tampers with someone else's lunch is committing a crime. It is not reasonable to assume it's OK for someone to steal someone else's lunch.

Using your logic, if my cupcake is loaded with almond oil, and the person who steals my cupcake is allergic to nuts and has an anaphylaxis and dies after eating the stolen cupcake, I'm responsible for their death. Hardly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 03:16 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Last place I worked was pretty diverse and I loved the occasional pot lucks we had. I got to try so many new things, most of which were quite tasty and a few that weren't.
I got to pick up some new recipes for the things I did like.
Of course there were a few people who couldn't cook to save their lives or they were kind of nasty in their personal habits and we sort of discreetly found out what they brought and put a small bit on our plates to toss in the trash later.

I don't think anyone ever got offended if some people didn't want to participate however there were always one or two who said they didn't want to participate, they never brought anything in, but they always loaded a plate up when lunchtime rolled around.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:32 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I used to eat the grossest things at work, so I wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings.

I worked in a little store with a couple of other ladies. Our break table was in the storeroom, about five feet from the bathroom door. I was in my first trimester of pregnancy, and my morning sickness was more like all-day sickness. One day the boss brought in a red velvet cake she'd made. It was from a mix, and instead of cream cheese frosting, she'd taken whipped cream cheese (that unsweetened stuff in the tub that goes on bagels) and smeared it all over the cake. On the best of days, red velvet cake doesn't look appealing to me. She cut a huge slice for me and I tried to graciously refuse..."My doc says too much sugar is bad for the baby," but she wouldn't take no thanks for an answer. She sat there and stared while I ate, until I had to get up and race for the restroom. Since our break table was so close to the restroom, there was no way to pretend I hadn't just hurled. My boss didn't speak to me for days, and she cut my hours.
Wow...just wow ~!

Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Actually, I lucked out, somehow I left it home. But that does not explain why the jeans which got completely filthy at work--and I changed out of into more presentable clothes--DID disappear from my bag, since I know I brought those with me. Why would you steal someone's filthy dirty jeans?
Oh, you'd be surprised what people steal. Let's just say that as a renter, I avoid any place where there is a community laundry room, having had a pair of jeans and 12 pairs of underwear stolen out of the washing machines.

It's no different at work. Lock the desk, make sure only the boss and someone in HR have spare keys, or you may find everything from a roll of Certs to a stapler missing.

And it's not okay because if they take my stapler, I'll set the building on fire.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Whether someone can cook or not can be subjective... Maybe YOU don't like the cooked items but that does not necessarily mean that others in your office dislike your colleague's cooking as well.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Just don't eat it! Simple solution there

Old 02-21-2011, 11:58 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,517 times
LOL, I can't eat other people's food.. yuck. Sometimes the food looks skeevy, sometimes the containers they bring this crap in looks dirty!! Yuck, no thanks.

I just tell people no thank you.
If they keep harping, then you tell them it looks gross or maybe they should of washed the bowl... lol

Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I found our breakroom thief, I think.

Guy asked me if I was going to eat the entire box of brownies. I said, "Eventually, yes." He asked me if I was going to be putting them in my bag when I left. "No, I'm going to be putting them in my locker."

Dude, if you want a brownie, then ask directly, don't hint around at it like you're looking for me to walk out of the room so you can snarf some down. I may have actually given him one voluntarily, but he was acting like a dang mooch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment