Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:03 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,240,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I tried to work full time and go to school full time. It didn't work for me personally. I ended up working full time and going to school part time at some points and flipping it around to working part time and going to school full time on other points. I guess I was a wimp compared to many out there.
Does not really matter how you do it as long as you get the BS degree and your 40$/hr job. Getting the BS degree and 40$/hr job is like finally climbing out of the open grave that society is trying to fill in with you in there. Once your out of your own grave you can look around and create a plan maybe pick up a masters but you dont have to run in the hamster wheel quite as fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 08:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,206,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Does not really matter how you do it as long as you get the BS degree and your 40$/hr job. Getting the BS degree and 40$/hr job is like finally climbing out of the open grave that society is trying to fill in with you in there. Once your out of your own grave you can look around and create a plan maybe pick up a masters but you dont have to run in the hamster wheel quite as fast.
You're right. My story is a little different as I was making a lot more than a measly $40/hr before college and certainly make a lot more after. But you're right-on with your point. I'm working on my MBA as we speak.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,240,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're right. My story is a little different as I was making a lot more than a measly $40/hr before college and certainly make a lot more after. But you're right-on with your point. I'm working on my MBA as we speak.
I have not figured out how to make more than 40$/hr yet, unless I moved to a really high cost of living area. Have had offers for 44$ but nothing like 60-80.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,206,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I have not figured out how to make more than 40$/hr yet, unless I moved to a really high cost of living area. Have had offers for 44$ but nothing like 60-80.
Start an IT company and contract out services. Do this in a high cost of living area like NYC. Your rate will range from $80 to $200. Live in NJ.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:29 AM

2 posts, read 6,430 times
Yea i did this for 5 years manual labor to boot. Twas easy. Fell short of the 4.0 W. a 3.8 in my FIN/ACT double major. But CPA/CFA LV.2 Cert. and fully functional alcoholic to boot. Stay classy.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,430 times
My retarded brother owns an IT company

Old 04-25-2014, 07:09 AM

14 posts, read 18,337 times
I plan on doing it for a second bachelors in Computer Science. I currently work night shift full time, but there's a lot of downtime and I manage to get an hour or 2 of sleep at work lol. Of course I need more sleep than that, so I go home and go right to bed. I plan on taking evening courses full time, if it's possible. If not I would just take it down to 9 credits instead of 12 each semester and make up for it in the Summer. I would end up paying more but if it means I keep my sanity and my grades don't suffer than so be it.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:12 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,759,348 times
Yes I worked at least 40 hours a week and took on average 13 credit hours a semester. I went back to school as an adult and was used to working a lot, but between having a wife and 2 kids and a life outside of work it was very damn hard. I would not suggest that anybody else do it, but it can be done if someone is determined to pull it off and will to sacrifice all their free time.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:34 AM

249 posts, read 425,702 times
Doing it now. Work the overnight shift (9 PM to 4 AM), sleep until about 2 PM, and take classes in the afternoon.

Having a quiet, self-paced office job helps, and living 15 minutes by bike from the campus helps even more.

I'm basically busy from when I wake up until I go to sleep, but it's no problem. Don't have kids yet, so now is the time to do this kind of thing!

Old 04-25-2014, 01:32 PM

255 posts, read 403,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I am really not sure what I want to do. I am working full time right now but I might want to go back to school. I already took a semester off from school. I know it's hard to work full time and go to school full time but I need the money to pay off things.
Go part time. 6 credits a semester adds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment