Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,252,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Hehe, you just set yourself up NJBest, can you please pay for half of my insurance?
If you manage to get employed by me, sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I think it's more of a control thing -- on the part of this company, anyway. Even us creaky old Baby Boomers can figure out remote connections and smartphones.
But, how many baby boomers know how to use a TI-86? Everyone 35 and under can tell you how to calculate regression in seconds. I don't see what this has to do with the modern office, but Z3NITH mentioned the TI-86.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:46 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,986,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
But, how many baby boomers know how to use a TI-86? Everyone 35 and under can tell you how to calculate regression in seconds. I don't see what this has to do with the modern office, but Z3NITH mentioned the TI-86.
Sorry, just my nerdy side coming out. Ask an engineer, he'll likely have a TI-86 or TI-89 at his desk.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:47 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,027,988 times
The newspaper should have REFUSED to publish the statement, offering an alternative of a live interview (with questions not forwarded in advance) to be broadcast regionally, with the 2 members of management whose email addresses have been posted on this thread.

The interview should have concluded with the phone numbers and addresses/websites of their competitors read, so if listeners doing business with haynes still sought an alternative, it would be readily available.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The newspaper should have REFUSED to publish the statement, offering an alternative of a live interview (with questions not forwarded in advance) to be broadcast regionally, with the 2 members of management whose email addresses have been posted on this thread.

The interview should have concluded with the phone numbers and addresses/websites of their competitors read, so if listeners doing business with haynes still sought an alternative, it would be readily available.
This is silly. So the owner makes a decision that people don't like, and you want to put 21 other people out of work?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:54 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,986,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is silly. So the owner makes a decision that people don't like, and you want to put 21 other people out of work?
No, I think he's got a point. Let the free market have the facts and then it will work it out for them. I don't know about you, but how a company acts towards the community in which it resides matters to me as a consumer.

Should an entire family suffer because the father overextended himself with credit card debt? I bet you would say yes. So why is this any different?

Corporate America needs to know that there are repercussions for their actions and that they are not too big to fail.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:54 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,058,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I think that is the point that manderly was making though.

He wanted time to be away from the office. Not to be connected via a smartphone or VPN. I.e. he would NOT be working during the normal workday and would put in hours at night, on the weekends etc.

I have no idea if that is feasible in his group or not. I know we had someone who had something similar (but it was NOT cancer-- but it required her to not be around during the day). To the group having her work at night or on the weekends was not acceptable-- and it didnt make sense in her role as a team lead over a group of junior clerks. They were not working at night or on the weekend, they needed her when they needed her.

However, my company is also over 40k employees-- she was able to take FMLA, have a reduced LOA when she returned and she had a new role that would be possible to allow her to work a more flexible schedule.

A company of 20 people (from what I read in the various news stories) does not necessarily have that same kind of flexibility which is why the law does not require them to participate in FMLA, etc.

Could they have made it work for the guy? I have NO idea-- none of us do really. Even what the guy may want may not be what the business felt was possible.

But as I have said before-- it is also a possibility that they were just jackasses too.
At no point in that article did Mr. Sorabella state that he would NEVER be in the office during regular office hours. He just needed a flexible schedule to be with his wife for important procedures and would make up the time.

Cancer patients sleep a lot. Or, they are too tired to 'visit'. It leaves opportunities for Mr. S leave the hospital room to check his messages, make phone calls and do work. It can be done anywhere - his car, the cafeteria, anywhere the hospital doesn't ban phones and internet connections.

What do you think CEO's do when they are out of the office???

Old 06-17-2011, 02:59 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,559,588 times
Yeah, cancer patients can be dropped off at 8pm and picked up at 3Pm at some cancer wards.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
No, I think he's got a point. Let the free market have the facts and then it will work it out for them. I don't know about you, but how a company acts towards the community in which it resides matters to me as a consumer.

Should an entire family suffer because the father overextended himself with credit card debt? I bet you would say yes. So why is this any different?

Corporate America needs to know that there are repercussions for their actions and that they are not too big to fail.
This is already in motion. The company is already getting bad press. There's no need to corner them. The facts are already out. In court, the company would be protected by the 5th amendment. I understand the press is the press, but the company shouldn't be cornered into making themselves look worse. If the press wants to discuss the facts, let them find em and display them.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:03 PM

3,730 posts, read 4,649,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I suppose wishing for the owner of the company to get cancer is hate-mongering, but other than that, I don't see too much of it. I see expressions of anger and outrage. Most people who hear of this react strongly and hope that the company goes out of business. That isn't hate-mongering.
Besides why is the focus on what posters are saying here? The focus should be on the despicable actions of that employer. People are going to react to such disgusting acts. I am seeing more reaction out of some getting their undies in a bunch over what posters are saying here rather than on the actions of the employer. For the record I am not speaking about those that are supporting this guy and his wife. I am speaking of those that are appalled by some of the comments here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment