Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The big reason black females are getting further now is because of their sexual appeal, not necessarily because they're more experienced/qualified than black males. The only thing a man loves more than walking into a business to be greeted with a blonde fashion model is to be greeted with a Nubian Queen.
This is a bunch of hogwash. The sales manager I worked with at a larger firm was a black woman and highly competent and she was the best person for the job due to her drive, great experience, attitude and work ethic. She was one smart broad.

Quote:
Catch-22.

In order for blacks to start a business they first need the capital, and that's opens a whole new can of worms (where are they going to get the money?).

And then who's going to support them if everyone in the black community is struggling to find stable/good paying jobs? And in order for jobs to be created there must be demand first.

Look for further than Detroit to see where I'm coming from.
What? You want someone to hold your hand in the process? This is exactly what I figured you'd come back with. With a little knowledge and drive to really want it, you will find the money as there are a lot of minority business loans and grants out there for the taking, including for women such as myself. You can start with the SBA. I write grants for minority business start ups all the time. You wouldn't believe the money that is available.

Were you aware that any government bid for contract gives minority owned business a 10 percent or more reduction in their bid amounts for comparison purposes? Thereby assisting in making minority owned business more competitive.

There's a ton of stuff like this out there for the taking and that's just two examples.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:37 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
This is a bunch of hogwash. The sales manager I worked with at a larger firm was a black woman and highly competent and she was the best person for the job due to her drive, great experience, attitude and work ethic. She was one smart broad.

What? You want someone to hold your hand in the process? This is exactly what I figured you'd come back with. With a little knowledge and drive to really want it, you will find the money as there are a lot of minority business loans and grants out there for the taking, including for women such as myself. You can start with the SBA. I write grants for minority business start ups all the time. You wouldn't believe the money that is available.

Were you aware that any government bid for contract gives minority owned business a 10 percent or more reduction in their bid amounts for comparison purposes? Thereby assisting in making minority owned business more competitive.

There's a ton of stuff like this out there for the taking and that's just two examples.
What you're highlighting here is that it's far easier to come up with simpleton arguments (women's looks) vs actually getting off a person's rear to do the research, write up the grants, or generally employ a bit of energy.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:40 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero977 View Post
Seriously, I understand this economy is tough for everyone, but it is especially rough for black men of all ages. I know most of you will give excuse after excuse, or say that they do hire minorities. With a rate of close to 20% usemployment, I would like some answers from because this is unacceptable. We can not have most black men relying on major private sector companies for employment. It does begin at the bottombwith small business's so all of you white small business owners be honest why would you not hire a qualified black man to do the job.
Ummm.... What about the small businesses that are owned by black men and women???

Old 09-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero977 View Post
What is it with you white people always deflecting the question. It is like you act like racism does not play a role. why do you think unemployment is high in the AA community. Everyone is so afraid to tackle this issue. This is the reason why it's a problem. because peeps like most of you avoid it, thinking everything is ok, when it really isn't.
And why do you immediately jump to the conclusion that the other posters are white?

Old 09-05-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What you're highlighting here is that it's far easier to come up with simpleton arguments (women's looks) vs actually getting off a person's rear to do the research, write up the grants, or generally employ a bit of energy.
Yep. If someone wants to ramble on with excuses they are plentiful in almost any situation.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
People here obviously don't understand the dynamic of the black community. Have any of you ever operated a business in (or lived in) a black community?

BTW, as for my post about black woman and their sexual appeal, of course it was proven in that other C-D thread in this section about how more employers would be willing to hire attractive woman for jobs that can be much cheaper to train an employee for versus a man.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Catch-22.

In order for blacks to start a business they first need the capital, and that's opens a whole new can of worms (where are they going to get the money?).

And then who's going to support them if everyone in the black community is struggling to find stable/good paying jobs? And in order for jobs to be created there must be demand first.

Look for further than Detroit to see where I'm coming from.

BTW, the white community is well aware of those catch-22s, which is why they tend to red-line and blacklist black/miniority communities.
There is a big risk factor in opening up businesses in lower income urban areas due to history of rioting, looting and crime within those cities. Seems that the criminal element ruins the neighborhood for the rest of the law-abiding citizens and makes it more challenging for the communities to get on firmer fiscal ground.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
People here obviously don't understand the dynamic of the black community. Have any of you ever operated a business in (or lived in) a black community?

BTW, as for my post about black woman and their sexual appeal, of course it was proven in that other C-D thread in this section about how more employers would be willing to hire attractive woman for jobs (that can be much cheaper to train an employee for) versus a man.
A minority owned business does not mean they cater to only the minority community. I found grant money for a Hispanic owned company who did some aspect in the construction field. All his customers were not Hispanic in fact far from it.

I think someone just likes to sit and whine about it. You know my parents didn't pay for me to go to college - I did and it was bust as$ work to get my degree. I didn't just sit on my duff and whine and give up. If you want something bad enough you will find a way to get it, but there are no free rides.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
There is a big risk factor in opening up businesses in lower income urban areas due to history of rioting, looting and crime within those cities. Seems that the criminal element ruins the neighborhood for the rest of the law-abiding citizens and makes it more challenging for the communities to get on firmer fiscal ground.
A minority owned business does not have to be located in a minority based neighborhood nor cater only to the minority.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:04 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I don't know what color your skin is, but lack of basic facility with standard English would lose you a lot of points: "Biasness" (should be "bias") and "there is" instead of "there are".
I work in logistics. I have read emails from top executives/managers/custom brokers/buyers with greater grammatical error. Why would the color of my skin matter?

Look at this job posting and critique it.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ofc/2558028391.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment