Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:28 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times

Advertisements

And I am more than willing to help you out.

And I bet that approach worked. A lot of sales is approaching people and finding a sales delivery that worked. I ued to tell people when a pair of sunglasses looked horrible on them, which is DIRECTLY against what you are supposed to do. But for some reason, it worked for me and my sales were phenomenal enough to get me promoted to the SM of the largest store in the area. So, finding what works for you and your style is a LOT of it.

Not sure if you would rather discuss in the thread or PM...but in order to really help you, I need some idea on your background and skills that we can use, or even reword, to turn them into those which will translate into getting you a sales job. I don't need specific companies, or even the dates, but the job descriptions and the "duties" that you put on the resume you are sending out would really help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 04:40 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
And I am more than willing to help you out.

And I bet that approach worked. A lot of sales is approaching people and finding a sales delivery that worked. I ued to tell people when a pair of sunglasses looked horrible on them, which is DIRECTLY against what you are supposed to do. But for some reason, it worked for me and my sales were phenomenal enough to get me promoted to the SM of the largest store in the area. So, finding what works for you and your style is a LOT of it.

Not sure if you would rather discuss in the thread or PM...but in order to really help you, I need some idea on your background and skills that we can use, or even reword, to turn them into those which will translate into getting you a sales job. I don't need specific companies, or even the dates, but the job descriptions and the "duties" that you put on the resume you are sending out would really help.
That would definitely go in to a PM...and I just saw I have one from you.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:45 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That would definitely go in to a PM...and I just saw I have one from you.
You do. We will take this to a PM, and I will see what I can do to help.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:47 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
According to some, one would think the end was near for the past six centuries in this place. Yes, it's small. No, I don't have a lot of office jobs to just up and apply for but there is work here. I just can't seem to get it. I have applied at even sort of fast food places and when I went with an acquaintance the other day to one of those places I applied for, I realized why I wasn't hired. I'm not 12!!! (Slight exaggeration on age.) There is most certainly age discrimination in this country...I'm not THAT old and I look way younger than I am but once they see it on your application...next!

Other places tell me I'm "overqualified". Yah, you know what? A college student is going to leave just as quickly as I am when a better opportunity comes up so can we knock that crap off with the "overqualified" business?

As for relocation...I just don't have the means to do that at this time. I just don't. If I did, I think I would move further south in the state because I think I would have more opportunity...but I just don't have the means.
Yes, I am in my mid-20s, so I haven't really had to deal with the age issue, though starting out you certainly do encounter your own unique issues with finding an employer who will take you in and groom you.

Relocation when you don't have the means is risky business to say the least. I did it immediately after college. It was quite a rush. Would I do it again? Let's just say I am much more risk averse than I was a few years ago. I wouldn't completely rule it out though.

Do you have friends and/or family that might be able to assist you if you were to make such an attempt? Perhaps that could loan you some seed money as you start your new life in a new place? One must realize, though, that taking such a risk requires absolute devotion to the cause. Looking for work will not just be a 9-5 job, it will be 6am till you go home to eat your Ramen dinner job. When I moved back in 2008, it took me about a week to find a temp job that paid the bills. It took me about a month to find a full time gig. You have to be willing to take anything when you start out. I wasn't making great money when I started my first full time gig. It was $14/hr with benefits. Not bad, but not good either. I was living minimally to pay rent and to put food on the table. But over the years, I have earned higher positions and have made more money.

I'm a firm believer that if you put your mind towards accomplishing a task and really commit to it, it will work out for the best. You might not be successful immediately, but you will succeed in due time, perhaps right before you think it's time to give up. There's absolutely nothing extraordinary about me, but I was able to accomplish something that people consider very risky. So, as they say, if I can do it, so can you.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Id like to say I feel bad for you, but I dont.

Why dont you go back out to the benevolent man and cry to them. You should be able to get your "choice" of jobs from them after all.

Good Luck.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
I had three part time jobs.

An intermittent government job.
A piddly b.s. part time job that I just got.
A part time job working for the government but as an Independent Contractor.

I just got laid off from the Independent Contracting job today. Son of a B****! Just when I had it all lined up that I could make it, albeit barely, with all three jobs, this happens and now I'm back to where I was a month ago.

I am so f-en tired of fighting for a job.
Please don't give up three wolves! I believe in you and I know it seems very hard now, but keep fighting the good fight and don't give up until the battle is won!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:57 AM

82 posts, read 313,986 times
OP, I sent you a private message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment