Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:23 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
DOCUMENT EVERYTHING VIA EMAIL!!

And send copies to yourself to a non-work email address.

If she asks you to set an appointment, send her an email saying

I'm confirming that you want me to call Jane Smith at 555-1212 to set up an appointment with her on Monday, June 30th at 9:00 am at Starbucks Coffee. Pleas let me know specifically which Starbucks you wanted to meet at as there are three of them in Your Town.

Now the onus is on her. Wrong number? She didn't catch it. Wrong Starbucks? She didn't answer your question.

As far as filing, send an e-mail and ask if there is a specific naming convention the company uses for files and whether they put the latest documents in an existing file in front or in back.

Bottom line, get it all into emails so when she tries to blame you, you can gently say, "I"m sorry, I sent an email verifying what you had asked me to do and didn't receive a reply so I assumed it was what you had requested."

She'll either back off very quickly or she's beyond psycho and at least you'll have backup during an unemployment hearing.
I had a boss who told me :"You know I don't read your emails."

It is our job to chase the boss down and at least put up enough effort to get the information from him/her.

When the boss asks, you can say "I emailed you twice and called you twice and left you two voice mails but you didn't answer any of it."

I don't see anybody can blame you for anything. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 05:00 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,739 times
Based on what you describe, I would just find another job as soon as possible, especially while you have one now.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
DOCUMENT EVERYTHING VIA EMAIL!!

And send copies to yourself to a non-work email address.

If she asks you to set an appointment, send her an email saying

I'm confirming that you want me to call Jane Smith at 555-1212 to set up an appointment with her on Monday, June 30th at 9:00 am at Starbucks Coffee. Pleas let me know specifically which Starbucks you wanted to meet at as there are three of them in Your Town.

Now the onus is on her. Wrong number? She didn't catch it. Wrong Starbucks? She didn't answer your question.

As far as filing, send an e-mail and ask if there is a specific naming convention the company uses for files and whether they put the latest documents in an existing file in front or in back.

Bottom line, get it all into emails so when she tries to blame you, you can gently say, "I"m sorry, I sent an email verifying what you had asked me to do and didn't receive a reply so I assumed it was what you had requested."

She'll either back off very quickly or she's beyond psycho and at least you'll have backup during an unemployment hearing.
This right here is excellent advice. It's documented and in writing and will be there later if you need it.

IF she gives you feedback that you did a lousy job - fire that right back in an email too. "It's my understanding that, specfically, these are the things that you were unhappy with." Then bullet point them. ESPECIALLY if they are stupid, petty things that bully bosses like to use just for fun.

You know there aren't that many bully bosses that I've run across - but when you do run across one - they can totally derail your career.

Good Luck and while you are doing all your documenting - be looking to get out. The sooner the better.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This right here is excellent advice. It's documented and in writing and will be there later if you need it.

IF she gives you feedback that you did a lousy job - fire that right back in an email too. "It's my understanding that, specfically, these are the things that you were unhappy with." Then bullet point them. ESPECIALLY if they are stupid, petty things that bully bosses like to use just for fun.

You know there aren't that many bully bosses that I've run across - but when you do run across one - they can totally derail your career.

Good Luck and while you are doing all your documenting - be looking to get out. The sooner the better.

I actually disagree. Where are you going with all the documentation? It's not like sexual harassment where you can get lots money. At best, you get unemployment - most people get that anyway.

In my opinion, the boss isn't really a bully. Demanding and rude, for sure. I still don't see the OP knows how to do the job. So... maybe something to think of.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I actually disagree. Where are you going with all the documentation? It's not like sexual harassment where you can get lots money. At best, you get unemployment - most people get that anyway.

In my opinion, the boss isn't really a bully. Demanding and rude, for sure. I still don't see the OP knows how to do the job. So... maybe something to think of.
It is good documentation for an unemployment hearing. Many years ago I had a similar situation with a psycho. I documented everything (this is before email) and kept it outside of the office. When she fired me and then tried to deny u/e, that documentation paid off during the u/e hearing.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
It is good documentation for an unemployment hearing. Many years ago I had a similar situation with a psycho. I documented everything (this is before email) and kept it outside of the office. When she fired me and then tried to deny u/e, that documentation paid off during the u/e hearing.
I still suggest the OP to change the work attitude and habit.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
I still suggest the OP to change the work attitude and habit.
Did you ever stop to think that there's nothing wrong with the OP? I've worked for toxic bosses and bully's. I was bullied by coworkers at a job about 10 years ago. My reviews were glowing, I never had a negative one or any sort of disciplinary action. I did my job, and regularly asked for more work or higher level assignments. I was promoted once and my pay almost doubled over five years time.

My boss knew I was being bullied but did nothing because he was having an affair with one of the bullies. One day I had enough and starting documenting everything. After three months I went to HR. The result: boss fired, one coworker demoted, two others with disciplinary actions in their permanent files. I found a new job and quit shortly after that. They offered me more money to stay. It was too little, too late. Their loss.

I had a toxic boss 20 years ago, she was a drunk who started every morning with whiskey in her coffee. I could do no right. She would tell me to order something and give me a sheet of paper with the item number and quantity. I'd order it and then she'd scream at me because I had spent the money to place the order. I lasted six weeks and walked out one afternoon. Interestingly she didn't contest the U/e claim. I suspect I wasn't the first or the last. I cross paths with other that know her in my industry fairly regularly who have also been subject to her demented wrath, and frankly at this point we just laugh about it, because the woman is obviously a pathetic drunkard.

It happens.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Did you ever stop to think that there's nothing wrong with the OP? I've worked for toxic bosses and bully's. I was bullied by coworkers at a job about 10 years ago. My reviews were glowing, I never had a negative one or any sort of disciplinary action. I did my job, and regularly asked for more work or higher level assignments. I was promoted once and my pay almost doubled over five years time.

My boss knew I was being bullied but did nothing because he was having an affair with one of the bullies. One day I had enough and starting documenting everything. After three months I went to HR. The result: boss fired, one coworker demoted, two others with disciplinary actions in their permanent files. I found a new job and quit shortly after that. They offered me more money to stay. It was too little, too late. Their loss.

I had a toxic boss 20 years ago, she was a drunk who started every morning with whiskey in her coffee. I could do no right. She would tell me to order something and give me a sheet of paper with the item number and quantity. I'd order it and then she'd scream at me because I had spent the money to place the order. I lasted six weeks and walked out one afternoon. Interestingly she didn't contest the U/e claim. I suspect I wasn't the first or the last. I cross paths with other that know her in my industry fairly regularly who have also been subject to her demented wrath, and frankly at this point we just laugh about it, because the woman is obviously a pathetic drunkard.

It happens.
Of course it happens. I worked for a few myself. In this case, all I see is an employee who doesn't know how to work though. The boss is not professional of course.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:23 AM

934 posts, read 1,939,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Also you apparently don't know what a Rightist is either.
Neither do you, and your interjection of politics into this issue is distracting, irrelevant, and unnecessary.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:42 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,474,247 times
Quote:
Of course it happens. I worked for a few myself. In this case, all I see is an employee who doesn't know how to work though. The boss is not professional of course.
The problem, though, is that the OP is trying to figure things out and is asking for help. You are merely telling her that she is worthless and not actually giving any advice or suggestions on how to be a better employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment