Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 07:47 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,635,242 times

Advertisements

I agee with Annerk-CYA Cover your a**...if you ever get fired you can use the documentation for UE. People do not realize that employees usually do not receive umployment benefits if you are fired for performance....

Also, find another job....if possible. Too many people now days are willing to anything to keep their jobs-seems like your boss is incompetant and you are going to take the fall
Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,618,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
The problem, though, is that the OP is trying to figure things out and is asking for help. You are merely telling her that she is worthless and not actually giving any advice or suggestions on how to be a better employee.
Did even you read what I posted? I detailed out step by step as what the OP should do.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,165,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Did even you read what I posted? I detailed out step by step as what the OP should do.
No, you provided one step--chase down the boss. That's not as easy as you make it sound, and gives you absolutely zero back up to prove that you did so. In a case like this it's got to have a "paper trail," otherwise it's far too convenient to the boss to forget.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
No, you provided one step--chase down the boss. That's not as easy as you make it sound, and gives you absolutely zero back up to prove that you did so. In a case like this it's got to have a "paper trail," otherwise it's far too convenient to the boss to forget.
I said "email, voicemail and phone calls." All of them will leave paper trail.

Please keep in mind, chasing down the boss is part of our job.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:

No, it's actually not. I would never expect anyone working for me to have to jump through hoops to get my attention so they could do their job.

And phone calls and voice mail do not leave a paper trail.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
No, it's actually not. I would never expect anyone working for me to have to jump through hoops to get my attention so they could do their job.

And phone calls and voice mail do not leave a paper trail.

True, you don't. As a good manager, you shouldn't expect anybody working for you to jump through hoops to do their job. It is your job to provide resource so that your employees can do their job.

On the other hand, as a good employee, you should know part of your job is to get your work done and done right. If it means that you have to chase down your boss, then you need to do that. "Failure is not an option" right?

These two paragraphs are called "working as a team." We all have our own priorities, we all make mistakes, and we aren't perfect. Both employer and employee need to work together to get to our goal - make money for the company.

By the way, any decently run companies would have detailed log and backup for both voicemail and phone calls.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
True, you don't. As a good manager, you shouldn't expect anybody working for you to jump through hoops to do their job. It is your job to provide resource so that your employees can do their job.

On the other hand, as a good employee, you should know part of your job is to get your work done and done right. If it means that you have to chase down your boss, then you need to do that. "Failure is not an option" right?

These two paragraphs are called "working as a team." We all have our own priorities, we all make mistakes, and we aren't perfect. Both employer and employee need to work together to get to our goal - make money for the company.

By the way, any decently run companies would have detailed log and backup for both voicemail and phone calls.
I've worked for a couple of Fortune 100's that didn't log phone calls and if you called the telecom guys to whine about needing a VM from two weeks ago, they'd laugh until they peed themselves. Even under SOX, record retention of conversations about what to order on the deli tray for the team lunch next week aren't required.

And teh small company I'm a co-owner of now? Really? Get real. We don't log phone conversations, we have zero need to do so.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I've worked for a couple of Fortune 100's that didn't log phone calls and if you called the telecom guys to whine about needing a VM from two weeks ago, they'd laugh until they peed themselves. Even under SOX, record retention of conversations about what to order on the deli tray for the team lunch next week aren't required.

And teh small company I'm a co-owner of now? Really? Get real. We don't log phone conversations, we have zero need to do so.
Don't worry to argue. This way beyond the topic. Go back and read my post. Keyword "decently run."

Old 08-24-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Don't worry to argue. This way beyond the topic. Go back and read my post. Keyword "decently run."
I have never in my lifetime worked for a company that logged every phone call and conversation. I higly doubt anyone has unless they worked in a prison or ultra secure Federal building.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:06 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,605,099 times
Quote:

Ummm, actually they won't.

Not only is the purpose to have a paper trail in the event you need it in the future - but, and perhaps more importantly, once you start dishing their words back to them in writing . . . . the bully boss starts to understand that you know what's UP. That you know they are targeting you for no good reason.

And, that you don't intend to back down without a fight. And sometimes this is enough to turn things around. The bully boss might seek out an easier target. Maybe not.

I'm not seeing a poor employee based on these posts. Assuming this is a good employee .. who has run across a very bad boss.

It does happen to most of us at one time or another. The survival strategies are well documented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment