Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times

Advertisements

Example 1 I can understand. She didn't sound like a good fit for the culture. It happens. I'm sure I have been turned down for jobs for that reason. Heck, I even withdrew from consideration at one place because I knew I wouldn't have gotten along with the people.

Example 2 seems like a stretch. The OP made a lot of assumptions about the candidate. Maybe her wedding ring was being cleaned. Maybe she was in a domestic partnership. Maybe her man couldn't afford a ring. Maybe she has a live-in mother who could watch her child. Maybe, maybe, maybe. There are tons of maybes and the OP just assumed the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 07:53 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Just petty.

And yet some on this forum wonder why folks are *(insert negative emotion)* about job searching.

Agreed.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:05 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
So, basically, he wasn't the best candidate?
Actually, the candidate was like, not the best so we actually couldn't like hire him basically because like, he actually had really like, bad communication skills.......

Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
i think getting a job is almost like getting a date, attracting someone of the oppossite sex

Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post

Second example - I know someone else (it wasn't me) who turned down a candidate partly because she mentioned having a child, but wasn't wearing a wedding ring. It wasn't a moral thing, he was just worried that there was no one to cover for her if the child was sick, etc., and she'd miss too much work.

This isn't real, is it? Because I know so many people, including my parents, who never wear wedding rings. My parents have been married over thirty years and I have never seen them wear rings...

At my previous job, I used to go through the resumes and pick people out. My bosses really wanted someone who spoke Russian because of the area they planned to be focusing on for business. The reasons given here for not hiring the girl aren't surprising---but I am surprised someone actually behaved like this when they were so desperate for a job:

-Called her for an interview and waited two minutes for her to find a pen in her own home
-Showed up without any type of professional attire
-Had her sitting in the waiting area for a few minutes---and noticed she was on her phone
-Came back a few minutes later and she was still on her phone---informed her I was waiting for her
-Five minutes later she was still in the waiting area, on her phone, when I walked up to her and asked her if she was serious
-Had no idea how to exit the building---we were on a single floor, and you can only walk one way or another---and then came back, asking me how to get home

Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
As I have already mentioned on other threads here, I often ask the questions of the interviewee: "What is the title of the position you're applying for?" and "What is the name of our company?" A solid 30% of people get those questions wrong or can't answer them at all. I don't know if this is surprising or not, but they weren't hired.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:34 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
As I have already mentioned on other threads here, I often ask the questions of the interviewee: "What is the title of the position you're applying for?" and "What is the name of our company?" A solid 30% of people get those questions wrong or can't answer them at all. I don't know if this is surprising or not, but they weren't hired.
Good point. Also knowing the companies history and mission is vital. A good interviewer wants a candidate with a real interest in working for that organization and will ask. Unfortunately, There are interviewers that themselves lack skills and go on assumptions (He/she is too old, too single, too chic) without actually communicating. The job market is almost like a cheesy singles event sometimes.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:38 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Good point. Also knowing the companies history and mission is vital. A good interviewer wants a candidate with a real interest in working for that organization and will ask. Unfortunately, There are interviewers that themselves lack skills and go on assumptions (He/she is too old, too single, too chic) without actually communicating. The job market is almost like a cheesy singles event sometimes.
I definitely agree that the market can be like a singles event. However, someone needs to get hired, and in this economic climate the differences between that person chosen and the person who wasn't chosen could be minute and seemingly petty.
That's the unfortunate lay of the land

Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 AM

305 posts, read 553,497 times
Quote:
All the candidates wondering why they didn't get hired makes me think back to some times when I participated in interview processes and people were not hired for strange reasons that they could probably never guess.

One example - I gave the thumbs down to a really great candidate because she was too nice. She was quiet and sweet and really knew her stuff, but would never have lasted in the viper's pit that was my workplace. All I could think was how everyone would take advantage of her, ignore her, sabotage her, etc. She probably couldn't figure out why she didn't get hired, and I know she was snapped up by another place pretty quickly. I did her a favor, but she'll never know it.

Second example - I know someone else (it wasn't me) who turned down a candidate partly because she mentioned having a child, but wasn't wearing a wedding ring. It wasn't a moral thing, he was just worried that there was no one to cover for her if the child was sick, etc., and she'd miss too much work.

What unusual reasons have you had for turning candidates down?
I worked for someone who would not hire black people to answer the telephone.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 AM

653 posts, read 1,802,885 times
Quote:
One example - I gave the thumbs down to a really great candidate because she was too nice. She was quiet and sweet and really knew her stuff, but would never have lasted in the viper's pit that was my workplace. All I could think was how everyone would take advantage of her, ignore her, sabotage her, etc. She probably couldn't figure out why she didn't get hired, and I know she was snapped up by another place pretty quickly. I did her a favor, but she'll never know it.
Well done. And you're right, she was probably snapped up soon after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment