Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:49 PM

653 posts, read 1,806,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
You should not "forget". It should be at the top of your list to turn it off (not just to vibrate) before you walk into any interview. If it is off, then there is no need to pull it out and "flip it to ignore" to begin with.
LOL, what is your problem Tober?

Try meditation. Or a hit of smack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 02:58 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,774,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
LOL, what is your problem Tober?
Probably needs more fiber in their diet.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:42 AM

469 posts, read 915,724 times
Ive seen a number of very qualified people turned away this year. Reasons vary. An extreamly attractive woman was declined because she would be a distraction .
This is not that unusual and happened at my last company as well. Next, excessive tattoos or people that look unhealthy. Overwieght, limping coughing etc. Each one is different.

What sux is the ones that fit the mold seem to be the wrong choice.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 AM

639 posts, read 1,969,838 times
I know a guy who was turned down because the boss had found out he had previously had cancer. He decided he would be too "weak" for the work and more likely to have health problems. He doesn't offer health insurance or paid days off anyway so I don't see why it mattered!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:34 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,501,302 times
There is validity to not hiring the hottest chick ro get the job. All the dudes would hit on her all day. She wouldnt have to do any work.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:09 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,488,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
There is validity to not hiring the hottest chick ro get the job. All the dudes would hit on her all day. She wouldnt have to do any work.
Adopting the strategy of hiring dudes who are mature enough to not hit on every hot chick they see would also be a valid option.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:19 AM

715 posts, read 1,077,270 times
Cell phones, either texting while waiting or having it ring during an interview, have been a big deal to hiring managers that I know. One manager I know had an informal meet and greet for the job candidates to meet the workers, learn more about the company from people who worked there, and also to see how they would interact with the people there. He said at least two people NEVER talked to anyone and spent the whole time texting and sampling the free food. Another two stayed on the phone most of the time there. One was particularly loud while talking. Although all were invited for interviews, he pretty much had already listed those people in the bottom of potential hires. Sure enough, the two who couldn't stop texting during the meet and greet were busy texting during their wait. The loud talker walked into the office with phone stuck to his ear talking loudly in a quiet environment and didn't bother to get off the phone until the hiring manager was literally in front of him looking to shake his hand and bring him in.

I know my last manager would not hire anyone who was overweight or didn't carry their weight well. He hired mostly thin and healthy people. He had a couple of exceptions in some older women, but they fitted the trustworthy, motherly type that he wanted on his team as well. His reasoning was, if you didn't look like you took care of yourself, how could you take care of your customers?

Looking for ways to not hire mothers is becoming more and more common it seems. BTW, I'm married and neither of us wear our rings either. My baby is in college though. Still, I have experienced in my recent interviews managers attempting to feel out if I had children or family obligations in a round about way. Questions like, what do you do on your weekends? What are your hobbies? What do you do when not at work? Is family important to you? I found myself mentioning my husband and son without meaning to do so. Very sneaky.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:56 PM

It is sneaky, but has some validity as well. Smoms are ALWAYS taking off work more often than others for children issues. Don't kill the messenger, but generally this is the case.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 PM

715 posts, read 1,077,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
It is sneaky, but has some validity as well. Smoms are ALWAYS taking off work more often than others for children issues. Don't kill the messenger, but generally this is the case.
It has validity from the employer's perspective, sure. I've always known that being responsible for children while also being an employee clashes in most instances - just look at typical school hours vs typical work hours. I was fortunate that I had two sets of grandparents to choose from when my son was growing up, but I still wanted to be around for my son even if it wasn't an emergency. And yes, there were occasional times I resented having to pick up someone else's slack because of family issues, but I never complained because I also understood. (There were some who really abused it though.)

Back when the economy was better, I used to see employers heavily promote their family-friendly benefits like on-site day care, flexible work hours, family time off, maternity/paternity leave, etc. Obviously now, with so many job candidates to choose from, many employers don't want to hear about taking off early to see your daughter's soccer game, your son's 102 degree fever, or that you need a half day off because the kids have a half day of school today. They'd rather avoid all of that by just not hiring someone who has those responsibilities. Like I read in someone's post, managers are trying to walk you to your car to see if you have a car seat and all kinds of mess like that... just crazy.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 PM

Walking to car to see car seats? That is awesome. I would just look at Facebook picture. Most smoms have kid(s) picture as their profile picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment