Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:46 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,727,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
I've waited up to 50 minutes for the interviewer to show up. Was I supposed to stare blankly at the wall for almost an hour?
You could continue to review your resume / CV, or any of the other documents you have with you before the interview. Or spend some time trying to formulate questions for the interviewer(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyreinphx View Post
Seriously? What do you think people did before cell phones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
My time is valuable too and if an prospective employer doesn't feel that way I am at the wrong place,
Agreed. If anyone interviewing for a position is made to wait more than 5-10 minutes past the scheduled time, they need to have the courtesy to let you know there is a delay and the reason(s) for it.

Still...put the damn phone away. People can live without it for a brief period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
I try to remember to put my phone on vibe before interviews, but when I forget and it rings, I ignore it without even looking. This tells the interviewer they are more important. If the phone is persistent I flip it to Ignore.
If someone's cel were to ring once during an interview, I would consider it a bit of an oversight on their part that they did not check to turn the ringer off before coming in. If it was persistent, I would consider it rude. Why not just turn it off before you walk in the door? Why does it have to even be on in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Good point. Also knowing the companies history and mission is vital. A good interviewer wants a candidate with a real interest in working for that organization and will ask.
Exactly. If I ask a person I am interviewing why they want to work for my company, I am not looking for, "because I need a job" as a response. I expect that they will have done their homework before the interview and actually know something about the company.

I interviewed for a position several years ago and, in reading up on the company, found out that they had recently been acquired by a larger company. I asked the lady who interviewed me about this, and what that merger meant for the company, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Person 1 did not take off her jacket. No one knows why but it didnt leave a good impression....
Some of those are very petty. But there is something to be said for common etiquette. If the interviewee is seated when the interviewer(s) approach them (eithe r n the lobby, a conference room, etc.), I expect that they will stand up when they enter the room. Many years ago a colleague and I were the second interview panel for a candidate. He was seated in a conference room waiting for us. When we walked in he just sat there and offered his hand across the table. The fact that he did not stand up to shake our hands demonstrated a bit of a lack in social graces. May seem like a petty thing, but in interacting with clients, that can be perceived as rude. Same goes for things like making eye contact when speaking or listening, not interrupting another person who is speaking, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Huge understatement.

That IS overtly petty.
That depends. If a candidate is interviewing for a job where they will be working with clients and customers, it seems reasonable to expect that in such a position they will be dressed appropriately. The problem is that, if someone presents themselves in a manner such as this in an interview (wearing an ill-fitting suit) it is like social courtesies - they may dress or act like this with clients. That is a risk. Now this applies in certain corporate environments, for other such positions, it may not be as big of a dea.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,542,890 times
Personally I always research any company I am interviewing with just the same as a prospective client I am looking to sell something to. I think doing research on companies for decent paying jobs is a requirement, but Wallmart or some retail no. I guess it would score brownie points with Wallmart to know that they have passed this milestone, but I really hope they don't expect candidates to have much other than a pulse for the benefits and pay they offer.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:33 AM

653 posts, read 1,807,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
If someone's cel were to ring once during an interview, I would consider it a bit of an oversight on their part that they did not check to turn the ringer off before coming in. If it was persistent, I would consider it rude. Why not just turn it off before you walk in the door? Why does it have to even be on in the first place?
Well; now; remember I said, "but when I forget" and "If the phone is persistent I flip it to Ignore."

Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,624,363 times
As an Office Manager, it's typically my responsibility to interview people. One company I was asked to interview people for 2 different positions, for a driver and a receptionist.

I had to narrow down the resumes and submit to my boss the ones I approved of, and then he narrowed it down further. Some of the reasons he gave me not to hire were petty and silly such as:

1. Person lives too far. (How do you know how far someone is willing to travel for work or if they might be moving in the near future?)

2. They were overqualified and might not accept the salary. (I hate this assumption).

3. If they were too old. (Boss automatically assumed they would be slow).

4. If they were too young. (Boss assumed they would be more concerned about partying and being on their phone instead of working).

Needless to say, I didn't stay at this company very long since the higher ups had quite a few prejudices and expected a lot of OT but didn't want to pay for it.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:57 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,542,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
As an Office Manager, it's typically my responsibility to interview people. One company I was asked to interview people for 2 different positions, for a driver and a receptionist.

I had to narrow down the resumes and submit to my boss the ones I approved of, and then he narrowed it down further. Some of the reasons he gave me not to hire were petty and silly such as:

1. Person lives too far. (How do you know how far someone is willing to travel for work or if they might be moving in the near future?)

2. They were overqualified and might not accept the salary. (I hate this assumption).

3. If they were too old. (Boss automatically assumed they would be slow).

4. If they were too young. (Boss assumed they would be more concerned about partying and being on their phone instead of working).

Needless to say, I didn't stay at this company very long since the higher ups had quite a few prejudices and expected a lot of OT but didn't want to pay for it.
I appreciate your opinion and "sticking up for us", but being objective I agree with him on 1 and 2 and here's why.

If you are in a cold climate state like mine I have turned down interviews recently because the commute was 60 miles each way, with no ability to work remote. That's going to be a 2-3 hour commute for me on snow day each way at that distance. His concern is valid IMO. I had a hiring manager ask me that about 18 months ago, " How are you going to make this commute 52 miles each way in winter?" I just gave him a pat answer and then realized he is right I would get burned out and quit within 6 months commuting that far for a sales job, on top of all the driving I would be doing to visit potential clients.

Point 2 I am getting a bit more desperate, honestly, and am considering taking a job in my industry for less pay just to spring board to something better after I have it. I have seen first hand that I am discriminated against because I am not currently employed. I would probably stay at a job 6-9 months and then start applying. Some may say that's unethical but in this economy it's every man for themselves. Loyality is gone. Why shouldn't I have the same attitude as an employer, do what's best for me and my family. They would have no problem axing me so I don't feel bad. So your boss is correct to be concerned about job jumpers.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:41 PM

131 posts, read 261,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyreinphx View Post
My husband is an interviewer and he does think less of the applicant if he sees them on the phone in the waiting room. It is standard interview practice to leave your phone in the car. If you are traveling by bus then put your phone in your pocket and pretend it's not there until you leave the building. It says a lot about people when they can't part with their phone for a few minutes.
What about an Einstein chess game (beats sitting around picking my nose).

Old 09-26-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Well; now; remember I said, "but when I forget" and "If the phone is persistent I flip it to Ignore."
You should not "forget". It should be at the top of your list to turn it off (not just to vibrate) before you walk into any interview. If it is off, then there is no need to pull it out and "flip it to ignore" to begin with.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:41 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,222,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
All the candidates wondering why they didn't get hired makes me think back to some times when I participated in interview processes and people were not hired for strange reasons that they could probably never guess.

One example - I gave the thumbs down to a really great candidate because she was too nice. She was quiet and sweet and really knew her stuff, but would never have lasted in the viper's pit that was my workplace. All I could think was how everyone would take advantage of her, ignore her, sabotage her, etc. She probably couldn't figure out why she didn't get hired, and I know she was snapped up by another place pretty quickly. I did her a favor, but she'll never know it.

Second example - I know someone else (it wasn't me) who turned down a candidate partly because she mentioned having a child, but wasn't wearing a wedding ring. It wasn't a moral thing, he was just worried that there was no one to cover for her if the child was sick, etc., and she'd miss too much work.

What unusual reasons have you had for turning candidates down?
When I was a manager back in the day, so much of the hiring process was being at the right place at the right time. I had gazillions of resumes and did interviews but usually the person who got the job was the one who walked through the door 15 minutes after three of my workers called in sick.

That's why I tell people (who ask), if you really want a job to contact them on a regular basis. You just might get them on a day when they are terribly understaffed and needing another person badly, especially one that is experienced and knows what they are doing.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Some of the reasons he gave me not to hire were petty and silly such as:

That is not always as petty as one may think. If the position allows for people to work remotely on occasion, it should not be an issue. But for a position where someone is required to be in the office at set hours every day, at some point the fact is that certain factors can make a very legthy commute an issue (general traffic, weather, etc.). You mentioned a receptionist position - that is the frontline of any office and a position where being in on time is critical. And for a candidate to have a very legthy commute, it is a valid concern to take into consideration.

Quote:
Again, this is valid. Especially in this economy where some people are looking for anything, there is a very good chance that someone overqualified for the position, and willing to take a significant paycut from their previous position is quite likely to continue looking for a more appropriate position and bounce as soon as they find it. Some people do have valid reasons for taking a step back - I know several colleagues who have gone into management positions, decided it wasn't for them, and wanted to step back to a non-management position. Perfectly valid, but the reason(s) one wants to move to a position they seem overqualified for needs to be made rather explicit. Hiring someone too overqualified who wants the position just because they need a job will likely boite the company in the behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment