Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you are a salaried, exempt employee, why do you choose to work more than 40 hours per week regula
I fear that I will be fired from my job if I don't work long enough hours 28 30.77%
I expect that eventually, my long hours will pay off with a promotion, and/or a salary that is more fair given my hours 14 15.38%
I love my job more than anything else, so I want to spend as much time doing it 6 6.59%
I just feel that it is the "right" thing to do 14 15.38%
I am having marital problems, and/or problems with children or other relatives, and want to avoid dealing with family life 1 1.10%
I want to avoid doing housework, and working longer hours encourages my spouse to do more housework, and/or hire somebody to do it 2 2.20%
Other (Please Post) 26 28.57%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 04:48 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,076,154 times

Advertisements

This poll is for exempt, salaried employees who choose to work significantly more than 40 hours per week as a lifestyle, but are not paid extra for those hours. Before you answer, let me explain who this poll is not intended for:

1. Not intended for people who are paid overtime for working more than 40 hours per week, since it is obvious that money is a motivator there. This poll is for people who are not paid for overtime.

2. This poll is not intended for people who generally work 40 hours per week, but occasionally work extra in order to meet an especially tight deadline, to deal with an emergency, or to cover for a coworker who is sick or on vacation. That is all generally expected of professional employees. This is intended for the people who, as a lifestyle, always work significantly more than 40 hours per week, regardless of workload. The people who consider their start time to be something earlier than what is in the company handbook; the people who consider their end time to be something later than what is in the company handbook; the people who consider Saturdays and/or Sundays to be working days; the people who choose to work on holidays listed as days off in the company handbook.

3. This poll is not intended for people who work about 45 or so hours per week. I'm thinking more of the people who work significantly more.

4. This poll is not intended for people who work long hours but for fewer than 12 months per year.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what options people choose here. I included "Other" since there may be other options that I haven't thought of yet. Be sure to post your thoughts here. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 04:56 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,334,093 times
Currently I get overtime...but at my past job in didn't. There were weeks I worked more and it was typically because work had to be done, I wanted to look good in front of the higher ups and I thought it might help me with my career.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Currently I get overtime...but at my past job in didn't. There were weeks I worked more and it was typically because work had to be done, I wanted to look good in front of the higher ups and I thought it might help me with my career.
In your case, you can select the 2nd option in the poll, since you are thinking that working long hours will look good and might help your career.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:51 PM

23,667 posts, read 24,224,719 times
As an exempt employee, you are paid to "get the job" done...

Old 01-23-2016, 06:28 PM

684 posts, read 716,543 times
This poll is not for me, because I insist that every hour of my overtime is billable and must be paid with in the same payroll cycle it is incurred. I do not work for less then $60/h, that's 120.

Now, since we got that out of the way, I actually love my job ! What can I help you with today ?

Old 01-23-2016, 06:36 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,577,842 times
so... you exclude everyone but the people that you deem to be "abused" by working more than 40 hours?

If exempted, you are paid for your work.... not time.. like nov5th said

Sounds like you are upset that some people are classified as "exempted" but not paid more... Get a new job if you feel that way?

Old 01-23-2016, 06:37 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,009,337 times
Usually, there is NO CHOICE. You're expected by the employer to work over 40 hours/week.. And if you don't you're done come cost cutting time. They will replace you fast. Ive seen it happen alot over the last 10 years

Old 01-23-2016, 06:39 PM

789 posts, read 1,995,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post

This ^^^^^! I regularly work lots of overtime. My position demands it. I knew that going in. But I enjoy my job, I believe that my company values me (supported by frequent raises and promotions), and I pride myself on getting the job done. That being said, I worked my way up by being the employee that was always the last one to leave and could be counted on to take on as much work as they could pile on and get it done no matter what it took. It paid off.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
That is just an excuse. An employer can and should hire more employees if getting the job done requires employees to work long hours as a lifestyle. Again, I am not talking about occasionally putting in long hours just before a deadline, or for an emergency, or when a coworker is unable to work for whatever reason.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Usually, there is NO CHOICE. You're expected by the employer to work over 40 hours/week.. And if you don't you're done come cost cutting time. They will replace you fast. Ive seen it happen alot over the last 10 years
So, in other words you are worried about being fired if you don't comply. So choose the first option in the poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment