Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you are a salaried, exempt employee, why do you choose to work more than 40 hours per week regula
I fear that I will be fired from my job if I don't work long enough hours 28 30.77%
I expect that eventually, my long hours will pay off with a promotion, and/or a salary that is more fair given my hours 14 15.38%
I love my job more than anything else, so I want to spend as much time doing it 6 6.59%
I just feel that it is the "right" thing to do 14 15.38%
I am having marital problems, and/or problems with children or other relatives, and want to avoid dealing with family life 1 1.10%
I want to avoid doing housework, and working longer hours encourages my spouse to do more housework, and/or hire somebody to do it 2 2.20%
Other (Please Post) 26 28.57%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 01:33 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,041,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
That is just an excuse. An employer can and should hire more employees if getting the job done requires employees to work long hours as a lifestyle. Again, I am not talking about occasionally putting in long hours just before a deadline, or for an emergency, or when a coworker is unable to work for whatever reason.
You are quite mistaken. In many, or most, high level executive positions, and especially those involving lots of travel, you're going to periodically work far more than 40 hours. I used to routinely do 2 week international trips and put in 60 hour weeks (or 24 hour workdays if you count business travel as working 24/7). I loved it, saw more of the world than most people could dream of and was very well paid for doing so.

The people doing this kind of thing tend to be experts in something or other and not easily replaced by just "hiring more people." The choices in your poll suggest that you are very far removed from this world. But if you look at who's sitting up front on international flights you'll see a very different kind of professional.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 01-24-2016 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 01:37 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,058,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So what?

Is this what you call abuse?
Yes I do. Employers should be honest about expectations, and accept that it might require them to pay employees better, or be limited in who they can attract.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:39 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,058,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
You are quite mistaken. In many, or most, high level executive positions, and especially those involving lots of travel, you're going to periodically work far more than 40 hours. I used to routinely do 2 week international trips and put in 60 hour weeks (or 24 hour workdays if you count business travel as working 24/7). I loved it, saw more of the world than most people could dream of and was very well paid for doing so.

The people doing this kind of thing tend to be experts in something or other and not easily replaced by just "hiring more people." The choices in your poll suggest that you are very far removed from this world. But if you look at who's sitting up front on international flights you'll see a very different kind of professional.
Exactly. My problem is that employees expect rank and file "professionals" to make sacrifices similar to those high level executives that you are describing, but while giving us a barely living wage.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:40 PM

29,848 posts, read 24,953,870 times
Quote:
Yes I do. Employers should be honest about expectations, and accept that it might require them to pay employees better, or be limited in who they can attract.
So be it. Actions have consequences. If they choose to pay less, they will have to settle for whoever shows up.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:32 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,985,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
As an exempt employee, you are paid to "get the job" done...
^ That.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:49 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,950,380 times
Quote:
Exactly. My problem is that employees expect rank and file "professionals" to make sacrifices similar to those high level executives that you are describing, but while giving us a barely living wage.
Exactly what wages are you talking about?

Maybe I come from a different time but to me anyone earning less than $25/hr isn't a "professional" in my mind and they should be paid for every hour they work. You can make them night shift manager of a Burger King but just because they are a manager doesn't make them a "professional" in my mind. If all they are earning is $25/hour then they should get paid for every hour they work and that includes time and a half for anything over a 40 hour work week.

What if I offered you a salary job with the following salary, job duties, expectations and benefits?

Your weekly salary will be $1,500. Maybe not great in New York but in the rural south it's pretty good.

In addition to your weekly salary the company will pay 100% of your family health insurance cost provide you with a company car of which you will have unlimited use for both business and personal. Basically the company is providing you with a second family car at no cost to you.

Your work ours will be decided upon by you. You will come in when you want and you can leave when you want. You decide what holidays you want off and how much vacation time you wish to take.

When you accept this job we both understand there will be times when it is very slow and your hours will be down but your weekly salary is still $1,500. My experience is half the year is going to be rather on the slow side.

But there are times it is going to get hectic, at times you will be overloaded but I don't care. What you do when it is slow is bid projects and there's no way of knowing if you will get one, two or three of them and there will be times you don't get any and other times you might just get three dumped in your lap at once when you were expecting one or maybe two at most. Now you got a lot of work to do and I honestly don't care how you get it down but we have a contract to perform, you are the only one in the company that can do the work and it is your total responsibility to get it down. You can work overtime, you can come in on weekends and even take the work home but getting it done is totally your responsibility and I expect you to get it done. How? I don't care I just want it done so the company doesn't get hauled into court for non-performance.

If you don't think you can handle it then don't accept the job but if you do take it don't expect any sympathy from me when times get hectic.

So would you take the job or not?

Old 01-24-2016, 04:03 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,328,523 times
I'm just telling you there are professional jobs out there that pay hourly.

If you're so bitter get a new job. Or move to a different country. Or start your own company with your own rules.

'Going above and beyond today is RARELY rewarded'

I've noticed this as well and it seems that if you want to be promoted these days you have to ask.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:04 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,328,523 times
'Maybe I come from a different time but to me anyone earning less than $25/hr isn't a "professional" in my mind and they should be paid for every hour they work. You can make them night shift manager of a Burger King but just because they are a manager doesn't make them a "professional" in my mind. If all they are earning is $25/hour then they should get paid for every hour they work and that includes time and a half for anything over a 40 hour work week.'

What if they're a social worker with a masters degree making $20 an hour in Boston to boot? They're not a professional?

Old 01-24-2016, 04:36 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,996,038 times
Quote:

Thats a great point.. Theres a big difference between working long hours and getting highly compensated as high level upper management executives as opposed to being salaried and making FAR less in middle management positions while being expected to put the same or more hours in.

In one instance, you're being compensated well, in another you may be working for free after certain hours.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:23 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,344,169 times
I can't vote but I can answer!
"To get the work done!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment