Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you are a salaried, exempt employee, why do you choose to work more than 40 hours per week regula
I fear that I will be fired from my job if I don't work long enough hours 28 30.77%
I expect that eventually, my long hours will pay off with a promotion, and/or a salary that is more fair given my hours 14 15.38%
I love my job more than anything else, so I want to spend as much time doing it 6 6.59%
I just feel that it is the "right" thing to do 14 15.38%
I am having marital problems, and/or problems with children or other relatives, and want to avoid dealing with family life 1 1.10%
I want to avoid doing housework, and working longer hours encourages my spouse to do more housework, and/or hire somebody to do it 2 2.20%
Other (Please Post) 26 28.57%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 02:05 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,359,380 times

Advertisements

I voted "other" for the simple reason that there is no way I could have all work done and prepared for the next day putting in only 40 a week. At 50/week I can keep my head above water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 09:00 PM

7,667 posts, read 4,653,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Anyone can get their work done in a reasonable amount of time. They just need to come up with a process to simplify everything so things can get done quicker.
Well said, House Stark...ready to become the King's Hand?

Old 02-05-2016, 09:08 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,672,555 times
Usually I don't work more than 40. However, during month-end close week (I work in finance), some days I exceed 8 hours so I can close the books. I work 37.5 hours all the other weeks so it balances out.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:44 PM

638 posts, read 531,671 times
50 hours a week is the easiest way for me to make six figures reliably. I'm not a lawyer so working on a salary makes me far more than hourly. If I did not make this much I would take an hourly rate. I might be able to swing that when my kids get a bit older.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:45 PM

638 posts, read 531,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Anyone can get their work done in a reasonable amount of time. They just need to come up with a process to simplify everything so things can get done quicker.
But if you want a promotion you need to take on more whenever you get near 35 hours a week. So you can eventually retire.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:56 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,505,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
This poll is for exempt, salaried employees who choose to work significantly more than 40 hours per week as a lifestyle, but are not paid extra for those hours. Before you answer, let me explain who this poll is not intended for:

1. Not intended for people who are paid overtime for working more than 40 hours per week, since it is obvious that money is a motivator there. This poll is for people who are not paid for overtime.

2. This poll is not intended for people who generally work 40 hours per week, but occasionally work extra in order to meet an especially tight deadline, to deal with an emergency, or to cover for a coworker who is sick or on vacation. That is all generally expected of professional employees. This is intended for the people who, as a lifestyle, always work significantly more than 40 hours per week, regardless of workload. The people who consider their start time to be something earlier than what is in the company handbook; the people who consider their end time to be something later than what is in the company handbook; the people who consider Saturdays and/or Sundays to be working days; the people who choose to work on holidays listed as days off in the company handbook.

3. This poll is not intended for people who work about 45 or so hours per week. I'm thinking more of the people who work significantly more.

4. This poll is not intended for people who work long hours but for fewer than 12 months per year.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what options people choose here. I included "Other" since there may be other options that I haven't thought of yet. Be sure to post your thoughts here. Thanks!
I have no idea why I did it. I choose other. I was not appreciated or paid. I guess it is my work ethic. All they do is add more responsibilities to my duties. I am not learning what I need so I decided to stop. I have been running out at 5. I actually set my alarm to remind myself. I have been doing pretty well with it. People say things but I ignore them. Unfortunately, I had to stay yesterday to almost 7 because I was trained on yet something else. I could not get out of it. I will be leaving prompting at 5 today. Screw them.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:23 AM

5,909 posts, read 4,458,144 times
Why? Because professional, salaried jobs aren't measured by hours. It's measured by production and getting the job done. 40 hours is a meaningless number to someone in this type of career/job.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,769 posts, read 81,689,431 times
Not all exempt people have to work more than 40 hours. For me it would be rare. A manager with a good staff should not have to work long hours, and fortunately we are not one of those employers that takes advantage of exempt employees to get free work done. I did work over 40 some when I had a person gone on maternity leave while in the process of implementing a new system, but that was only for a few months 5 years ago. Since then I have for the most part been able to leave early to make up for staying late the day before for some meeting or urgent problem. As a manager, no one including my boss is watching me come and go, the work is getting done and I get great reviews. I do expect to have some extra hours in the near future with two openings to fill, considering the hiring and training process, but a few months every 5 years isn't bad.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:34 AM

134 posts, read 103,414 times
Because they have piled on so many responsibilities and different job roles to our simple jobs. I would have never applied to this job to do the roles they have us doing now. E.g. I applied to sell "tea pots", not design tea pots, train tea pot salespeople, paint tea pots, teach people how to make tea, discover new methods to harvest tea leaves, and invent new tea flavors and drive trucks carrying tea to stores. Yet, they refuse to hire people who are trained to do these things.

We get graded on completion of our jobs and publicly ranked against each other every week. Simply ridiculous. If we don't complete according to arbitrary goals they have set, we get a crappy rating and/termination at the end of the year. Our sales are hard date driven also, so there is no room to not complete

Did I mention we are required to be on the road all day! So, when do you do all of these other things plus paperwork, expense reports, etc? According to our boss...on the weekend! So, during peak times this 37.5 hr a week job is 60+, 7 days a week.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:13 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,943,881 times
Coming in to a salaried job with an hourly mindset will lead to disappointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment