Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you are a salaried, exempt employee, why do you choose to work more than 40 hours per week regula
I fear that I will be fired from my job if I don't work long enough hours 28 30.77%
I expect that eventually, my long hours will pay off with a promotion, and/or a salary that is more fair given my hours 14 15.38%
I love my job more than anything else, so I want to spend as much time doing it 6 6.59%
I just feel that it is the "right" thing to do 14 15.38%
I am having marital problems, and/or problems with children or other relatives, and want to avoid dealing with family life 1 1.10%
I want to avoid doing housework, and working longer hours encourages my spouse to do more housework, and/or hire somebody to do it 2 2.20%
Other (Please Post) 26 28.57%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 10:57 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,328,523 times

Advertisements

Why cant an employee use an attorney? Sure they can.

And what is Obama going to raise to be 50k exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 11:05 AM

29,848 posts, read 24,947,456 times
Your time is worth less, and to make up for it, the companies are allowing people to work more hours. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to work more hours.

Everyone has a choice, so knock the pity party crap off. When you are ready to grow spine and fight for what is perceived as yours, you might get it.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:08 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,996,038 times
Indirectly companies kind of are though.. I have had bosses tell me, to justify paying you salary you are REQUIRED to work extra hours.

And if you refuse, you won't last long in today's private sector. They got line of 100 people just waiting to take your job. And companies don't give a **** about turnover rates, low employee morale, low worker disengagement.

Upper management only cares about the bottom line, and a crew underneath making them happy and look good. Thats all that matters. The employees come LAST On the list.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Indirectly companies kind of are though.. I have had bosses tell me, to justify paying you salary you are REQUIRED to work extra hours.

And if you refuse, you won't last long in today's private sector. They got line of 100 people just waiting to take your job. And companies don't give a **** about turnover rates, low employee morale, low worker disengagement.

Upper management only cares about the bottom line, and a crew underneath making them happy and look good. Thats all that matters. The employees come LAST On the list.
Yes, because I don't work in the private sector

Like I said, you are free to choose to work for these people, if that's the mentality you would like to perpetuate.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:33 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,996,038 times
In an employer's market (which is what we have today), the employees don't have that much bargaining power or leverage. Employer's know this too so they exploit it to no end. Its not like back in the day when you could leave an employer and later that day have a nice new job lined up with good paying benjamins.

The power is completely gone from the employee's hand. Sure you can leave, then spend the next few years looking for a good paying job and in the meantime have to make ends meet working at some dead end job somewhere until you find something good.

If only it was so easy to just bounce and find an as good or better paying job with benefits, I would have been gone a LONG time ago.

Thats not even to mention, so many employees just keep the interviewees on a string playing mind games and dragging them along in the hiring process for MONTHS.

There are more candidates than there are job openings now. Until things switch where there plentiful job openings and the boomers start retiring (and the companies don't just do away with the positions and just throw the responsibilities onto someone already there, were gonna be at the mercy of the employer

Old 01-24-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
In an employer's market (which is what we have today), the employees don't have that much bargaining power or leverage. Employer's know this too so they exploit it to no end. Its not like back in the day when you could leave an employer and later that day have a nice new job lined up with good paying benjamins.

The power is completely gone from the employee's hand. Sure you can leave, then spend the next few years looking for a good paying job and in the meantime have to make ends meet working at some dead end job somewhere until you find something good.

If only it was so easy to just bounce and find an as good or better paying job with benefits, I would have been gone a LONG time ago.

Thats not even to mention, so many employees just keep the interviewees on a string playing mind games and dragging them along in the hiring process for MONTHS.

There are more candidates than there are job openings now. Until things switch where there plentiful job openings and the boomers start retiring (and the companies don't just do away with the positions and just throw the responsibilities onto someone already there, were gonna be at the mercy of the employer
And how many jobs have you applied for lately?

Old 01-24-2016, 12:06 PM

9,011 posts, read 13,854,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
You're kidding, right?
In a way i am.

Here is the kicker.....i bet those salaried employees are not telling you about their 20 hour workweeks where they get paid full time for part time hours.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:08 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,116,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
As an exempt employee, you are paid to "get the job" done...
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
That is just an excuse. An employer can and should hire more employees if getting the job done requires employees to work long hours as a lifestyle. Again, I am not talking about occasionally putting in long hours just before a deadline, or for an emergency, or when a coworker is unable to work for whatever reason.
It's not an excuse, it's called reality. Companies are forcing their employees to do more with less. When someone gets fired or laid off, the rest of the employees have to pick up the slack. They're not going to hire someone else if they can get everyone else to work an extra 5-10 hrs per week unpaid because they're on salary.

That's what being salaried means, it means you are paid for your work, NOT for your time. If you could get all your work done in 30 hours a week, you'd have a pretty easy job. But most companies are out to maximize their profit... which means that they'll get rid of some people and suddenly to get all your work done, you are working 9-10 hours a day doing all your old work, plus a share of the work from the employees who are gone.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:28 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,058,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
There really is no such thing as not getting paid overtime for anything over 40 hours.

This is NOT occurring in the Usa,or at least i hope so.

Where do you people live?

Some of you are really getting abused.
Unfortunately, it is legal if you are a "professional".

Old 01-24-2016, 12:30 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,058,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Well MIT guy, I work at a place that is affiliated with MIT and there are some hourly positions here. I can assure you they are most definitely professional positions.
I have a Masters degree from MIT, but I do not work for MIT. So how is your post relevant to me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment