Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 03:57 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,998,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you aren't given the opportunity then you need to make an opportunity.

100% of the people who are now working had 0% experience at one time.

Many of us started working "beer money" jobs in college. It's a start.
I'm trying. Its so very hard though, especially in Finance. - In regards to making an opportunity.

I've had those "beer" jobs, but Finance HR recruiters do not care about those at all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM

29,958 posts, read 25,085,073 times
Inexperienced is a key indicator to the employer that you probably won't be as productive as an experienced worker. Profit margins in many lines of work have fallen, and so to have wages. Everything is very cut throat and employers are demanding the bet quality worker they can get for their buck. What used to be a good entry level wage can now fetch an experienced worker in many cases. At any rate, to make money on your time, the boss will need you to produce more to cover your wages/taxes. Inexperienced workers are just far less likely to be a worthwhile investment in this environment.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:18 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,998,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Inexperienced is a key indicator to the employer that you probably won't be as productive as an experienced worker. Profit margins in many lines of work have fallen, and so to have wages. Everything is very cut throat and employers are demanding the bet quality worker they can get for their buck. What used to be a good entry level wage can now fetch an experienced worker in many cases. At any rate, to make money on your time, the boss will need you to produce more to cover your wages/taxes. Inexperienced workers are just far less likely to be a worthwhile investment in this environment.
It just doesn't make any sense Andy...so what exactly are the unexperienced to do? I know you can learn on your own, but what else?

Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM

29,958 posts, read 25,085,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
It just doesn't make any sense Andy...so what exactly are the unexperienced to do? I know you can learn on your own, but what else?
Intern, express willingness to start at a low rate of pay, express a strong interest in the type of job your are seeking. Employers will offer some entry level positions to young folks without experience. The difference today is there are few opportunities, and they aren't wasting them on people who aren't serious about bringing themselves up to snuff. Lots of people are just looking for a job. It's the people who want a career, and are willing to work their tail off to get the chance that are getting those opportunities. That takes some serious persuasion and effort on the part of the candidate.

Couple years ago I wanted to get back into my current profession. Couldn't find anyone willing to hire me in my area because it had been awhile since I did the work, and there were too many experienced people floating around. What I did was called/e-mailed employers across the country and talked to anyone that would listen. Explained that I was willing to drive/fly/whatever to meet them on my own dime. I assume this showed interest and motivation on my part, and it did not take long to find some takers. They knew I wouldn't be as productive as their older experienced guys, but I believe it shows some heart to be willing to go the extra mile(s).

Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM

266 posts, read 403,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
and if a person is over age 20, has little or no job experience, they will extremely struggle to even get hired for an entry-level, minimum-wage job in retail, fast-food, restaurant, customer-service, entry-level nowadays means entry-level pay, not entry-level experience, the most common reason people say the reason why employers are reluctant to hire inexperienced people, is because training costs time and money, but yet someone who i want to high school with, who claims she is a recruiter, hiring-manager for her company, she said "it's not because hiring-managers, recruiters are lazy to train inexperienced people, it's just that job experience shows a hiring-manager, job-recruiter that you have held a job in good standings"

is that a better reason as to why employers deem the inexperienced unemployable?
While it may be another true reason, I don't believe it's a better reason. That can't be true because nearly every college graduate has held some type of job before, whether it be a work study position on campus, waiting tables, or even summer jobs. But that doesn't get you anywhere either. It also matters to employers what kind of job it was, therefore negating the idea that they just want to see you are capable of holding a job. Also, the fact that someone put the time into completing college is supposed to show that they are smart, trainable, and dedicated. Does that count for nothing, then? (that question is directed to the imaginary hiring manager I am directing my anger toward )

Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,610,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
While it may be another true reason, I don't believe it's a better reason. That can't be true because nearly every college graduate has held some type of job before, whether it be a work study position on campus, waiting tables, or even summer jobs. But that doesn't get you anywhere either. It also matters to employers what kind of job it was, therefore negating the idea that they just want to see you are capable of holding a job. Also, the fact that someone put the time into completing college is supposed to show that they are smart, trainable, and dedicated. Does that count for nothing, then? (that question is directed to the imaginary hiring manager I am directing my anger toward )
and thats why employers won't hire someone who didn't finish college? because a person who does not finish college, they think they will be a person who does not finish what they start?

Old 11-26-2012, 07:40 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,428,668 times
If it makes you feel better. I've applied for jobs stating "on the job training" and I still didn't get the job for inexperience, even though I'm almost done going to school for the same type of field. I thought school counts for some experience, which should be enough for "on the job training". Not really. Its really frustrating out there. I'm going to look into volunteering since I can afford to do that while I'm still in school and haev some financial aide to cover me. after school is over, I won't be able to afford it.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,686,743 times
it's a catch 22, yes. just fake it until you make it...

it's not that it makes you unemployable, it's just that it makes others 'more employable'.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:38 PM

25 posts, read 29,256 times
I can definitely relate to the question in bold because companies that were recruiting at my university this past fall for entry level Accounting/Finance positions were only looking for new grads with relevant experience. Since I worked in a completely unrelated field to put myself through school debt free, I was consistently told that I didn't have the relevant experience that they were looking for. It says a lot that I got this feedback for entry level jobs where companies were specifically looking to hire upcoming college graduates. I've come to the determination that in order to get that initial experience you either have to have a connection to someone in the company you want to work for or have done a relevant internship while in school and hope that it leads to a full-time offer. Anyone not in either of these categories doesn't stand a chance it today's job market.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:39 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,089,822 times
Years ago when I was unemployed and looking I found a couple jobs doing almost exactly what I had been doing for years(administration/accounting field), the job descriptions were almost identical, I was told I was not qualified ... WHY ? My degree was the wrong kind. So, lets NOT take someone that can jump in running so we can spend months training someone fresh out of college.

The degree subject was basically irrelevant to the job anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment