Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspeedbullet View Post
if you really want to work for IT, find a popular company that wont outsource jobs like city,federal or state jobs
It might vary in cities and states, but the federal government most certainly outsources IT jobs. The state and city governments aren't doing much innovative work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 09:12 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azspeedbullet View Post
if you really want to work for IT, find a popular company that wont outsource jobs like city,federal or state jobs
If you can even get in at all......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It might vary in cities and states, but the federal government most certainly outsources IT jobs. The state and city governments aren't doing much innovative work.
Yeap, last I heard they were cutting these jobs

I work in IT and like many others said its very broad. Helpdesk always has a need for people, Other than that I agree with what's been said.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
If you can even get in at all......

Yeap, last I heard they were cutting these jobs

I work in IT and like many others said its very broad. Helpdesk always has a need for people, Other than that I agree with what's been said.
Why sad about it? The outsourcing by the federal government is a good thing. Government should not be bogged down with keeping IT staff trained.

Helpdesk is very easily outsourced as well.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:56 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Hi everyone, I'm almost 30 and thinking about a career change. I'm interested in technology and computers, so I've been thinking a lot about going into the IT field. I'm not really sure where to start, though. There are some quality IT programs around the area at the community colleges. The thing I want to get a degree in an area that is expanding and not likely to be outsourced or off-shored. Could some helpful people around here point me in the right direction please? Thank you.
You can write a negative nancy story for any career, and the truth is ... I HAVE seen one for every vocation here on CD.

I have several friends who work in IT and they do OK to very well. They don't seem to have any more trouble finding jobs than anybody else, less actually because there's so many jobs around.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:50 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
If you use the forum search function, you You will see a complaint about several fields from manufacturing, marketing, truck driving, fast food, retail, real estate, finance, accounting, public education, private schools, special ed teaching, call center rep, clerical, shipping, cartography, nursing, psychology, art, waiter, hotel front desk, maid, etc.

What's your current career? Is it worse than IT?

Last edited by move4ward; 12-02-2012 at 04:10 AM..

Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
By the way, if you already have an undergrad in a different field, you do not need to go back to school for IT.

People have changed to IT careers with degrees in liberal arts without having to go back to school.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:12 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Yes, even IBM is sending these jobs overseas. Salaries in India and Mexico are increasing, so the current offshoring hotspot is now someplace in Africa, from what I hear.

Be very careful, changing careers.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
With cloud and virtualization, outsourcing is certainly an option a lot of organizations are considering. That said, outsourcing and offshoring aren't the same thing.

Specifically speaking to the OPs interests (Networking/security), which is where I am. Those areas certainly aren't what they were in the 90's. But a lot of the notion from back then are still being inaccurately echo'd today. The bottom line is that many of those jobs (sys admin, network engineers, security administrators etc) no longer pay as well as it once did. But at the same time, I think technology does provide a lot more avenues for one to get involved with. in the 1990s, you didn't really have a security engineer, a SAN architect, a virtualization engineer, data loss analyst etc.... most were part of the sys admin's roles. And a number of these roles didn't even exist as the technology wasn't the same.

So yea, I suspect down the road, there will be more opportunities as the technology will create them. At the same time, some of the current roles will be obsolete. They key is how one diversifies themselves to stay on top of the market.

The operational type of jobs (network, systems, security) are more experience centric than academic centric. This isn't to say you dont' need certifications or training. But they should be used to support your experience, not substitute for it. So if you really want to get into the field, you need to keep that in mind. Going to school for a few semesters or getting a CCNA certificate isn't likely going to help if you don't have some type of experience to back that up too. Especially if the person you will be competing against for that job has real experience under their belt.

So the key here is how do you get in? And that is the golden question. I started by working at a mom/pop shop building computers. But that was in 1995...things aren't quite the same now. Most of the engineers I manage now did some type of helpdesk at some point. On of my best Penetration tester was a NOC/SOC technician for two years... basically looking at network and security monitors on 3rd shift. The key is that while they worked, they also did a lot of homework on the side - either at home, or tried to sponge off of more experienced people.

just my .02.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
You missed the boat on IT. I got into it in the mid 90's, I would not recommend anyone do it now.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,977 times
Don't do IT, it seems 90 percent of the jobs are contract and many are very low paying and you get no benefits or paid days off! The new way for Corp America to get around giving the little guy another penny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment