Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,727,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mharroun View Post
I love these these IT haters. Your biggest issues is your age... There is a lot of agisem in the IT field, once you hit your mid 30's your expected to move more towards a management/leadership roll .

As for the outsourcing issue... that one always makes me laugh. Good software engineers are worth their weight in gold in the eyes of recruiters. I am a Lead Software Engineer and I get spammed with recruiters and potential opportunities. Last year when I did my job search a single agency sent me on ~10 job interviews in a week... at one point I had 2 phone and 3 in person interviews in one day. Im 27 have ~5 years experience... I get ~5 weeks PTO and make six figures. I have similar stories from unix admins and DBA's. If your good a what you do you will NEVER be out of work.
I would agree most of what you said, though outsourcing is still concern at any level. Also, IT employment depends greatly on where you live. Certain cities are much better than others. Another downside to IT is that is soul killer. My IT related job has nearly killed me and has likely taken years off of my life. While the money is excellent, you often don't have much of a life to enjoy it.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment