Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,233,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I asked if her results showed that she was making the appropriate efforts.
Well, no. That's not what you asked at all.

Quote:

Am I right? Does this actually show that she IS doing her job? There is no way to force someone to answer a phone call or return a message, all she can do is follow up in a timely manner.

Opinions?

These were the only questions you asked. Let me answer them, one by one.

Am I right? - No

Does this actually show that she IS doing her job? - Well, yes. She is making the calls as outlined in her job description. But she is not showing any initiative to solve the issue of a flawed process.

Opinions? Wow. You specifically asked for opinions and then berated me because you didn't like mine. If you don't want to hear all opinions, don't post the question to a public forum.

(
Quote:
This time I am posting for my friend. I keep telling her to get an account, but she is terrified that she will get caught...so here I am.
By the way, how in the world can someone get "caught" on an anonymous message forum? If it's the details of the story, they will recognize her anyway, regardless of who the poster is.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 06:01 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,423,082 times
Thank you for continually proving my statements about your motivation.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don;t she how can be held accountable if someone is not responding. One of my references didn't respond at all and I was asked did I want to use another person so the process could be completed.

So maybe she can do that with the applicants who have people who did not respond back.
She is calling. She is keeping the recruiters updated. It is the job of the recruiters to get the references and to forward them to my friend. When the references do not call, the recruiters blow it off. And, she is not really supposed to contact the candidates without getting the ok from the recruiters, as she is supposed to stay out of the hiring process.

But the recruiters make money based on the people they have on the job/working, so they sort of don't care about the new ones UNTIL there are references. So, she is told to call them, but doesn't get a lot of support in the office for changing the process or more fully involving the recruiters, as they do not want to take additional time following up with the applicants.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you for continually proving my statements about your motivation.
You are most certainly welcome. While you may believe I am getting my "kicks" from "attacking people anonymously", I am more excited to prove you right, of course. Let me know when I can be of assistance in the future.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:39 PM

And thanks for admitting that you are getting your weekend fun by attacking people.

If you don't think you admitted this...reread the thread. If you still miss it, try reading it aloud.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 PM

sarcasm.........usually lost on the ignorant.

Last edited by spencgr; 01-12-2013 at 07:05 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 08:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,729,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Opinion? Results are more important than effort.

Sounds like she's trying, but not very good at her job.
How is she not doing her job? The problem today(I have seen it on this board) is many people don't mention to their "references" that they are interviewing and ask these people is it OK to use you as reference.

Once you know you're looking for a new job.

Here is how it used to work, someone interviews for a job, as soon as the interview is over they contact their reference(who has already agreed to be a reference) either through a phone call or an email and say "I just had an interview at ABC company, Judy Smith will be contacting you for a reference".

So everyone is on the same page.

Many today don't seem to know to do this. You just don't put down a name from a former boss or coworker from 3 yrs ago without contacting that person first and asking them to be your reference and that you are currently interviewing.

I would be willing to bet that in many of these cases the problem is the applicant putting down people they haven't spoken to recently and these "references" are put off by being used as references because they haven't heard from the applicant since they worked with/for them a couple of years ago.

It is all about good communication.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How is she not doing her job? The problem today(I have seen it on this board) is many people don't mention to their "references" that they are interviewing and ask these people is it OK to use you as reference.

Once you know you're looking for a new job.

Here is how it used to work, someone interviews for a job, as soon as the interview is over they contact their reference(who has already agreed to be a reference) either through a phone call or an email and say "I just had an interview at ABC company, Judy Smith will be contacting you for a reference".

So everyone is on the same page.

Many today don't seem to know to do this. You just don't put down a name from a former boss or coworker from 3 yrs ago without contacting that person first and asking them to be your reference and that you are currently interviewing.

Apparently, these people do. She has had numbers that had been disconnedted for so long they had been reassigned. People who had no clue who the person was. One noteable event, the person she was trying to contact had passed away a year previous.

I would be willing to bet that in many of these cases the problem is the applicant putting down people they haven't spoken to recently and these "references" are put off by being used as references because they haven't heard from the applicant since they worked with/for them a couple of years ago.

I said as much to her. I told her that if it comes up agian, or maybe even if it doesn't but at the next meeting, to state that the low return rate could be because the people can't be bothered to return a reference call about someone who has not bothered to call them in years.

It is all about good communication.
I just got a text from her, she read your comments and wanted me to tell you that you are correct. More than once, the person on the other end of the phone has told her that they have not heard from the person in a couple of years. RARELY if ever do they say they were expecting her to call, and frankly the ones who were expecting the call are the ones that answer their phones or return phone calls.

Suggestions on how to approach it? Her boss just keeps saying he knows references are hard and that she is not in trouble. But it is still a major source of frustration for her...as evidenced by posting and texting about it on a internet forum on a Saturday night! LOL

Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 PM

Also, because I asked, I got a little more info from her.

The applicant applies by either emailing or calling. As the jobs are short term, to even be considered for a position, the references have to check out...so it is not like the person is heavily interviewing for jobs, more they had one and tossed off some references without even having to get dressed for an interview (most interviews are over the phone). So I am sure the issue is the applicants are not contacting references.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,729,737 times
Quote:
I just got a text from her, she read your comments and wanted me to tell you that you are correct. More than once, the person on the other end of the phone has told her that they have not heard from the person in a couple of years. RARELY if ever do they say they were expecting her to call, and frankly the ones who were expecting the call are the ones that answer their phones or return phone calls.

Suggestions on how to approach it? Her boss just keeps saying he knows references are hard and that she is not in trouble. But it is still a major source of frustration for her...as evidenced by posting and texting about it on a internet forum on a Saturday night! LOL
I am not surprised. It is human nature to be a little taken aback and quite possibly offended if somone gets a call/ voice mail regarding a reference regarding a former coworker/employee that they haven't heard from in a year or more.

Their reaction may very well be "why should I bother", I haven't heard from them in 2 years and now some stranger is calling about them, they couldn't bother to contact me first and ask me directly.

Very foolish to list someone as reference without a) getting permission from the reference and b) contacting the reference giving them a heads up that a company will be calling about them.

All your friend can do is "prompt" these people(although she shouldn't have to) to make sure that their references are in fact people who are aware they are references and to let them know a phone call is coming their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment