Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,159,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
She is calling. She is keeping the recruiters updated. It is the job of the recruiters to get the references and to forward them to my friend. When the references do not call, the recruiters blow it off. And, she is not really supposed to contact the candidates without getting the ok from the recruiters, as she is supposed to stay out of the hiring process.

But the recruiters make money based on the people they have on the job/working, so they sort of don't care about the new ones UNTIL there are references. So, she is told to call them, but doesn't get a lot of support in the office for changing the process or more fully involving the recruiters, as they do not want to take additional time following up with the applicants.
I thought former employers didn't give references anymore? Only dates of employment?

My last employer only gives dates of employment and ONLY online. Potential employers must go on a certain website to access this information. All managers are FORBIDDEN to give personal references. It became a real problem when new employers wanted real references, so non-managerial co-workers would secretly give each other references.

Anyway, couldn't your friend ask applicants for CURRENT references??? It seems like the system in her company is not working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,410,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Huh? You said yourself she was reading these. That message was to her, not you. Apart from the defensive comment.
LOL

My bad. I am so caught up in trying to read her texts, post like she is here and give the info that she is giving that I sort of forgot that she would have read the post, and in fact did as she called me to tell me a couple of things to put, so yes...you were talking to here and I am a bad go between.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I thought former employers didn't give references anymore? Only dates of employment?

My last employer only gives dates of employment and ONLY online. Potential employers must go on a certain website to access this information. All managers are FORBIDDEN to give personal references. It became a real problem when new employers wanted real references, so non-managerial co-workers would secretly give each other references.

Anyway, couldn't your friend ask applicants for CURRENT references??? It seems like the system in her company is not working.
The recruiters do say they need to be supervisor references and need to be from current or previous supervisors within the last 2 years. The candiates know this.

But this is never followed and that is one of her frustrations, she will call and talk to someone who worked with the person, in 2001. Which also wastes her time.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,691,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
To the OP. I don't really know why you got so defensive - I was just giving my opinion that work is about an end product, and not just an action. If I were in your friend's shoes, I would just change the process.

Look, obviously it is important to the business to staff these positions right? Take some ownership of the aspect you control and change this bottleneck. Otherwise, you're just spinning wheels and - really - not doing anything. If you're not doing anything at work, then you're not doing your job.

Step 1. Call the references. Leave an upbeat message outlining what you're looking for from the contact, let them know you need a return call within 48 hours to complete this process and employ the person they're providing a reference for. If you have an email address as well, send a message to the same effect. Make a second attempt the following day. Document both contacts. If 48 hours passes without a return call, notify the recruiter that their applicant is not qualified, as they do not have valid references. Document this as well via email. In this email, notify the recruiter that you are contacting the applicant to get updated contact info for their references. Give the applicant one opportunity to provide updated information. Repeat the process.

Step 2. You now have a documented trail of contacts and attempted contacts. You will have one of two outcomes, valid references or invalid references. Notify the recruiter of your finding and move the file on to the appropriate department (HR for hiring or the recruiter as a "dead" file).

You have now created a guarantee that you will move a file in 96 hours maximum and clearly deliniated how the process works. Once you start bouncing applicants back to recruiters as unfit for hire, I bet they start contributing to the issue by ensuring that the references provided are quality contacts.

Just my .02, but I'm willing to bet that your boss will appreciate the action you've taken to speed the process up, while you have created a timing that will establish a finished work product.
Well it sounds like the OP's friend is already doing this. The emails/phone calls already provide documentation.

I agree they should update the boss in writing that they're not hearing back from these people.

The problem seems to be(and the OP said it was a problem) is many of these applicants don't seem to know any better that you don't list people as references that you have not spoken to and who agreed that yes in fact they will be your reference.

Someone who gets a call out of the blue about a former employee/coworker who is in the wind and they haven't spoken to will most likely blow it off...which seems to be happening.

They also don't seem to know to contact their references after having an interview and informing them to expect an phone call/email and how they would appreciate it if the reference would get back to the company ASAP.

It shouldn't have to be done, but some people need to be "prompted" since common sense seems to be going out of style. Maybe these applicants need to be advised to make sure references are people you keep in contact with and are expecting our call.

It is a sign of the times.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:50 PM

I think so. She and I have been texting back and forth and have decided that on Monday she is going to speak to all the recruiters, likely via email, and tell them that she would appreciate it if, now that there are 2 new people she is supporeting, that they stress in the reference request that they only supply references they are in contact with and have been contacted to tell them that she will be calling. She thinks the recruiters are going to say that this will cause a delay in them getting their references to the recruiters. Hipefully the comeback that it will give a better return on the references and make it more timely, will get us somewhere...

Old 01-13-2013, 01:00 AM

200 posts, read 483,828 times
Why is everyone scared to speak up? What's up with that?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:27 AM

What does scared to speak up have to do with anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment