Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,128,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
I agree 100% and, although this is a conversation for another thread, I believe what separates college graduates and those with pure work experience is simply your logic and critical thinking skills. Unfortunately, besides working at restaurants and retail, its tough to get a corporate job. I know I have tried numerous times to land a part-time job in a corporate environment, willing to take anything including forgoing pay if needed.

Despite this I got rejection after rejection, even for jobs where I was the only applicant. I should be grateful that I have a job once I graduate but it doesn't start till June and I feel woefully unprepared (even through its a development program).
When did you start focusing on the corporate job? Did you wait until your senior year? Did you look for projects or internships after your 2nd year? It seems that the people that have the hardest time wait until their last semester, before building out their career or contacting mentors and alumni for advice. Even after graduation, many people do not bother asking for advice from alumni that graduated 2-3 years earlier and are working their dream jobs.

Getting a corporate job was not difficult for me. I just followed the advice of mentors that were already in corporate. One of my mentors was a retired SVP or treasury officer at some TBTF bank. It's been about 5 years though, since I spoke to her.

Last edited by move4ward; 01-21-2013 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 03:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
It's real simple. They get the job done well. They have in them what it takes.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadstar View Post
Maybe they started at a company when they were very young and proved themselves with hard work and experience, back in the day employees didnt look at big ass diplomas as they do today,
This is very true. A great guy I work with knows this one complex job inside out, he has done it forever. He knows everyone connected with this job, he started 30 years ago with a high school degree.

Same job....now requires a Bachelor's degree in Business or Accounting.

He supervises people with more education than him.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 PM

632 posts, read 1,181,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
When did you start focusing on the corporate job? Did you wait until your senior year? Did you look for projects or internships after your 2nd year? It seems that the people that have the hardest time wait until their last semester, before building out their career or contacting mentors and alumni for advice. Even after graduation, many people do not bother asking for advice from alumni that graduated 2-3 years earlier and are working their dream jobs.

Getting a corporate job was not difficult for me. I just followed the advice of mentors that were already in corporate. One of my mentors was a retired SVP or treasury officer at some TBTF bank. It's been about 5 years though, since I spoke to her.
I started around my Sophomore year. The weird part about it was that I had interview opportunities come to me without applying at the school I attend (corporations such as JP Morgan Chase for example).

However, as I progressed through my coursework and gained more experience working in retail, at our family business, and on-campus jobs, I received fewer and fewer opportunities.

I suspect my low GPA was probably a major factor. I had a 3.5/4.0 as a double major in Supply Chain Mgmt. and Finance. Not sure through...

Old 01-21-2013, 04:52 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,849,003 times
Quote:
I suspect my low GPA was probably a major factor. I had a 3.5/4.0 as a double major in Supply Chain Mgmt. and Finance. Not sure through...
A 3.5 is NOT a low GPA by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
It's certainly nothing to brag about.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM

632 posts, read 1,181,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I understand that but, it feels average at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're right. However, it seems to me that you have certain companies where GPA is a major deal breaker and companies like the one I will be with who look at you holistically and not just your grades. I understand that my GPA is not stellar but I feel its unfair to have a number define who I am.

My 3.5 doesn't even begin to tell the story of all those nights I stayed up to study, about all the friends I shut out to focus on school, how it wrecked my social life (somewhat), how even at work I would pull out scraps of paper and work problems out or even study with my textbook during downtime.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,128,451 times
Quote:
I started around my Sophomore year. The weird part about it was that I had interview opportunities come to me without applying at the school I attend (corporations such as JP Morgan Chase for example).

However, as I progressed through my coursework and gained more experience working in retail, at our family business, and on-campus jobs, I received fewer and fewer opportunities.

I am a little confused. Were you involved in corporate projects and internships after sophomore year and worked in retail? While an internship allows you to gain corporate experience, but a retail job or campus job does not.

If you did not do an internship, it is more difficult to get a job after graduation.

The situation can still be remedied by getting more information from the alumni at potential employers. Then, you can do a better job researching than just googling the company like other candidates.

Who is the hiring manager for the XYZ dept?
Is he a jerk or a cool boss?
What's keeping him up at night?
What is senior management chewing him out about?
Great. I have some ideas on how to address that problem.
I'll kill that interview. Thanks.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:46 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,849,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A 3.5 means split 50/50 Bs and As, or a "90" average.

If we are talking a 3.5 with an English or Political Science degree, then you are right. That is nothing to brag about.

Finance & Supply Chain Management isn't exactly the easiest route to take in college. A 3.5 with that course of study is impressive.

Like I've said before though, your GPA ONLY matters to get your foot in the door at that first professional job. After that, unless you plan on going to grad school later on, it becomes as irrelevant as your high school GPA. Beyond entry level, employers care about experience, not whether you goofed off during calculus class 10 years ago.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I understand that but, it feels average at best.

You're right. However, it seems to me that you have certain companies where GPA is a major deal breaker and companies like the one I will be with who look at you holistically and not just your grades. I understand that my GPA is not stellar but I feel its unfair to have a number define who I am.

My 3.5 doesn't even begin to tell the story of all those nights I stayed up to study, about all the friends I shut out to focus on school, how it wrecked my social life (somewhat), how even at work I would pull out scraps of paper and work problems out or even study with my textbook during downtime.
How hard you work is better shown by where you studies rather than your GPA. If you went to University of Houston you probably didn't work as hard as someone who went to Rice. There's certainly more to assessing a student than GPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment