Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,447,556 times

Advertisements

Let me break this down in the most intricate way possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You are rude!
First off, no, I'm not. Never once have I said anything to degrade you personally.

Quote:
What's ignorant about the fact that there are people who have been successful in life without a college education? I gave 2 well known examples. Sure, not everyone can be Steve Jobs or Marc Zuckerburg, that doesn't mean those without a college education are poor or unhappy in life.
This is what we call an anomaly. In statistical analysis, you have to account for said anomalies. Yes, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerburg are highly successful college drop outs. No one is trying to disprove that. But if you look at much of society, the intellectual leaders of this world have extensive amounts of education. Also, I never said that by not having a college education that you were destined for misery and financial destitution. There are plenty of non-college degreed successful people in society. That was never the point anyone was trying to make. I was trying to explain the value I saw in a college education. It was you that instigated this entire back and forth by trying to degrade the value of said education. Why would you do that? I can think of nothing else other than just another insecure individual trying justify their life decisions by denigrating the value of a particular thing they did not achieve or do well at.

Quote:
You can have a great job, high earnings, educated up the wazoo, and be the most miserable person on earth.
Yeah, and you can also be ignorant and poor and rely on welfare for subsistence. It goes both ways. Then again, as the saying goes, ignorance is bliss.

Quote:
And education doesn't make anyone intelligent.
Well that's ironic, because it wouldn't be called an education if you're not getting anything from it. That would be considered a wasted opportunity.

Quote:
George Bush went to Harvard and that man could barely get a sentence out!
George Bush flubbed a few lines. You're saying you've never gotten tongue tied in your entire life? I'm not even a fan of the guy and I'll give him that much. Besides, I doubt you've ever met the man to know whether he's intelligent or not. There are plenty of brilliant people who have speech impediments or severe social awkwardness for that matter that come across as unintelligent on the surface. The idea that you'd criticize such an individual indicates to me that you are shallow and judgmental towards those that are different than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,409,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
Let me give you an example...a management position opens up and there are 2 candidates. One has worked for the company for 8 years, no management experience, no degree. The other has 20 years experience in management with another company, and a degree. The reason the job may be given to candidate #1 is that it will lessen her commute. That's just not right.
Of course that's not right, unless there are some very company-specific processes or knowledge that the outside candidate would not have. Or, perhaps, the 20 year + paper candidate was a bad interview, or did not make the hiring manager belive they could get the job done? If the commute was the only reason, then that's a little shady.

I have worked for employers in the past that ONLY promoted from within. It worked for them, and really emphasized a results-based dynamic - the only down side is that you see creativity drop a bit, since you have the same "coaching tree" all the way up the line.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 PM

763 posts, read 2,608,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Of course that's not right, unless there are some very company-specific processes or knowledge that the outside candidate would not have. Or, perhaps, the 20 year + paper candidate was a bad interview, or did not make the hiring manager belive they could get the job done? If the commute was the only reason, then that's a little shady.

I have worked for employers in the past that ONLY promoted from within. It worked for them, and really emphasized a results-based dynamic - the only down side is that you see creativity drop a bit, since you have the same "coaching tree" all the way up the line.
I agree with this. Lessening ones commute is about the lamest excuse I've ever heard for giving some a job or a promotion. If I had been the 20 year + paper candidate, I would have raised four He**s if I found out about that. Of course, raising four He**s probably wouldn't get me the job, but it would have screamed volumes about the integrity of this company and their promotion criteria.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,430,511 times
Quote:
Just asking...
Someone high up in a company could be a co-founder or a very early employee who earned the position with hard work. Higher education does not always equate a "higher" level job in management.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,237,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Someone high up in a company could be a co-founder or a very early employee who earned the position with hard work. Higher education does not always equate a "higher" level job in management.
Yes, I do understand that. That isn't what I'm questioning. Sometimes I think people from within who are less qualified just get the job because the company doesn't have to pay them as much.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,144,573 times
Quote:
Let me give you an example...a management position opens up and there are 2 candidates. One has worked for the company for 8 years, no management experience, no degree. The other has 20 years experience in management with another company, and a degree. The reason the job may be given to candidate #1 is that it will lessen her commute. That's just not right.
Candidate 1 works for the company 8 years. Is she buying a new house next to the office with the promotion? How would it lessen their commute, if she isn't changing companies?

Whether or not she gets the promotion, her commute is the same as the last 8 years. The commute only changes for candidate 2, if he gets hired. He will no longer be commuting to his old office.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,237,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Candidate 1 works for the company 8 years. Is she buying a new house next to the office with the promotion? How would it lessen their commute, if she isn't changing companies?

Whether or not she gets the promotion, her commute is the same as the last 8 years. The commute only changes for candidate 2, if he gets hired. He will no longer be commuting to his old office.
Candidate 1 works in one office and this job is in a different town (the town in which she lives). She drives 15 miles to work each morning.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 AM

774 posts, read 2,607,072 times
The way I moved up to the position I'm currently holding is experience.

When hiring today most employers are looking for experience over a piece of paper. Theory will only get you so far and when push comes to shove real world experience wins 99% of the time.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 AM

155 posts, read 125,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
The way I moved up to the position I'm currently holding is experience.

When hiring today most employers are looking for experience over a piece of paper. Theory will only get you so far and when push comes to shove real world experience wins 99% of the time.
Did you see that Candidate 2 has more experience than Candidate 1?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,725,608 times
Success w/o formal credentials doesn't mean a lack of education. The School of Hard Knocks provides some impressive training. So a combo &/or heavy emphasis on 2+ of these: SOHK degree + talent + perseverance +connections = impressive success
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment