Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,671,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
OMG...calm down. Take the add to your boss and ask what's up? Maybe you're getting an assistant.
K
Lol, no assistant....read the posts again...you will notice that I did talk to the boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,671,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
try
Internet Archive: Wayback Machine

its a time machine that goes back as far as 1999
Ahh that brings back memories. It wasn't very good at digging up any postings from my company at all. That is what I was looking for. Nice find..thanks!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 AM

373 posts, read 644,778 times
This happened to me in November. I saw the exact ad I applied to on Craigslist on a Thursday, I was "laid off" the following Tuesday. I was a few weeks shy of being there 3 months and the employer paid a large sum of money to send me to a class to be certified.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,164,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I would PERSONALLY do two different things....look for another job woudl be #1...and APPLY for your positionw with a different name and contact info, but your EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS!

#2...IF THEY HIRE YOU AS A NEW "PERSON" WITH YOUR EXACT SAME SKILLS/RESUME...I'D GET A LAWYER AND SUE THEM TO THE HILT!!!

Good luck either way....
I'm not sure why this leads you to believe there is a case for a lawsuit? First, they would never hire him as the "new person" because they would realize who he is during the interview or background screening process. Then they would fire him for lying.

But, let's assume, someone does get hired with the exact same experience and skills. That would just show that both people have the qualifications they want. It also leads me to believe that, while qualified, the current employee is likely not doing a very good job, which is why they want to get rid of him. Firing for cause (not performing your job up to expectations) is not a reason to sue.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,055,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I'm not sure why this leads you to believe there is a case for a lawsuit? First, they would never hire him as the "new person" because they would realize who he is during the interview or background screening process. Then they would fire him for lying.

But, let's assume, someone does get hired with the exact same experience and skills. That would just show that both people have the qualifications they want. It also leads me to believe that, while qualified, the current employee is likely not doing a very good job, which is why they want to get rid of him. Firing for cause (not performing your job up to expectations) is not a reason to sue.
During probation period it does't matter why and rarely does it matter after. There's only so many specific things one can sue for and the employee "not being liked" isn't one of them. Point is all they've got to say is "the employee didn't fit in as we had hoped". At will means at will in most cases or like some companies I've seen they'd just set you up to fail and wait.

With that being said, if you're getting more and more responsibility and have a gut feeling you're doing ok then I'd not obsess and take them at their word. If you'd not seen that job ad would you still be thinking you're about to be fired? Most people know when they're on the way out, they may not want to admit it to themselves but they know. Do you?
On edit: One thing you should watch for is getting yourself fired. A lot of times when somebody is looking elsewhere it is obvious to others as most mentally check out.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,120,131 times
you should apply for the job and emphasize your current qualifications, when they contact you by phone to schedule an interview you can then interrogate the hiring manager on if you would be replacing someone else and ask why they are getting rid of you, er...I mean the current employee. Maybe even put a plug in for that current employee (you) and tell them that it sounds like that employee sounds as if they are irreplacabe and it seems that no one could ever do that job as good as you, er...they can, and you feel that you could never measure up to yourself, er...them.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM

32 posts, read 46,849 times
I don't want to be a fairy of sunshine and endless light, but you are assuming the ad means you're being fired.

What if in fact you are about to be promoted?

Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,572,772 times
Is there any reason why they would want to replace you or perhaps they haven't something else in store for you at the company?

Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,428,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
This happened to me in November. I saw the exact ad I applied to on Craigslist on a Thursday, I was "laid off" the following Tuesday. I was a few weeks shy of being there 3 months and the employer paid a large sum of money to send me to a class to be certified.
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I never had that experience, but it is frustrating to have to start over again seeking work after a short stint. I wish you the best in your new job search.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:36 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,428,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Monster is horrible about "re-booting" jobs. I've had them do it three times in the past 2 years. I'll take the position down, and 3 days later it pops back up.
Sigh, it makes me wonder how often this type of stuff happens on the job boards or employer websites for that matter. For people seeking work and watching the same ads, I bet it can be very confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment