Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,801,857 times

Advertisements

I beleive we as a society have put so much emphasis on status and moneymaking then on what kind of individual you have become. This is the reason I think most people dread thier workplaces. You might as well put a fishing string with a dollar tied to the bottom of it above a lake of Americans in quicksand to demonstrate what our society has become. I think people are afraid of not being what society calls 'successful' and money is our main motivator for most of the work we consider doing. How many people have you heard that say they hate their jobs? How many of those people stay because it's good money? How many people go to college in hopes of landing a great paying career one day? How many people are truly doing what they really love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,613,335 times
I enjoy my job. (CNC machining) The money is good... It's interesting. Something new every day. When I was in 4th grade did I say "I want to run CNC machines when I grow up!" ?

No... But I've always had an interest in computers so this work is right up my alley.

I can honestly say that I do not dread going to work. I look forward to it. I'm far from miserable at work. I did change jobs a month ago... But it wasn't because of the work I do.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 PM

200 posts, read 484,092 times
Actually, it's not that they stay for the money, it's that the money is what keeps them out of those high credit card bills they got themselves into because they listened to all those ads saying they NEED this and they NEED that, when in fact the need was actually a WANT.

And most people don't hate their workplaces. They're too zombied out to know it. This entire country has gone into automatic mode.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,720,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I can honestly say that I do not dread going to work. I look forward to it. I'm far from miserable at work.
Same goes for me. I enjoy what I do and I work in a great environment with great co-workers.

The fact that I can make a comfortable living while doing something I enjoy is a bonus. I'm not one to chase after status, but it is nice at least being in a position where I can afford the things I do enjoy and I am not living paycheck-to-paycheck.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 AM

30,402 posts, read 23,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I beleive we as a society have put so much emphasis on status and moneymaking then on what kind of individual you have become. This is the reason I think most people dread thier workplaces. You might as well put a fishing string with a dollar tied to the bottom of it above a lake of Americans in quicksand to demonstrate what our society has become. I think people are afraid of not being what society calls 'successful' and money is our main motivator for most of the work we consider doing. How many people have you heard that say they hate their jobs? How many of those people stay because it's good money? How many people go to college in hopes of landing a great paying career one day? How many people are truly doing what they really love?
First, I am very thankful to have full time employment after too long without so when I have a rough day, I try to remember that.

Second, this is NOT my ideal job, it's what I have now until I can find a way to make money working from home. (LEGIT, not some scam.)

Third, I do not work to impress others with what I have nor do I think I need everything. I have a few things I want, the rest IS necessity: shelter, food, heat...that sort of thing. That is why I work, so that I can have what I need and the little that I want, it would be nice to have one or two of them, as well.

The only way I would scramble around in quick sand for a dollar is if I really NEEDED that dollar. I have been there in my life, in the past, where a dollar was a lot to me...heck, I still count every dollar.

It's not because I'm stuck to some idea that I have to be successful, it's because I want to be able to live in a decent place, (notice I did not say, 'nice'), have food, water, heat and can care for my pets.

Ultimately? I'd like to have a boat load of money so I can open an animal sanctuary. Saving animals from unnecessary death IS being successful to me. I don't find that a negative.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:35 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,852,776 times
I NEVER had a job which didn't afford me the opportunity to learn something. Yes, there have been a few jobs over many years which were simply bad, bad bad and I didn't stay at them very long. But at all of them I learned something so those experiences were never a waste - in my eyes anyway.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:23 PM

29,910 posts, read 25,033,728 times
I genuinely enjoy my job and work. I decided early on I wasn't too concerned about money when it came to a career. I wanted something that would pay the bills, but most importantly, something I would be happy doing long term. We spend 8+ hours a day at work. Why spend that much time doing something you don't enjoy? To me, if you can get paid doing what you love, you're about as rich as it gets, even if you're not bankrolling the $$$. To that end, I am happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I enjoy my job. (CNC machining) The money is good... It's interesting. Something new every day. When I was in 4th grade did I say "I want to run CNC machines when I grow up!" ?

No... But I've always had an interest in computers so this work is right up my alley.

I can honestly say that I do not dread going to work. I look forward to it. I'm far from miserable at work. I did change jobs a month ago... But it wasn't because of the work I do.
To give you an idea of where our society is at... I took votech classes in HS in manufacturing technology. Loved running bridgeports and lathes, so I decided to go into machining. My parents were horrified, and did everything possible to talk me into pursuing "professional" work. My school counselors said I was too smart to throw my life away doing lowly manufacturing work. I'm glad that I didn't listen to any of them. I never had a day in 4 years where I dreaded going into work. The level of satisfaction and pride felt when completing challenging work is hard to find in many other professions. My work holds physical value and worth. Not many professions afford what this one offers. But society doesn't see this profession for what it is.

As an aside... I started out running manual machines. That was the most fun I've ever really had on the job. CNC machines are interesting and all, but to me, they take a lot of the fun out of machining. I get a little tickle when we get one off jobs, or we need fixtures made and I get to show the CNC guys how they did it back in the "good ol days". Someday, I might decide to explore machining in the mining industry. Most of that work is done on old, rickety manual machines, just my cup of tea

Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,946,778 times
For the most part, I really enjoy my job (Finance/IT field). I'm self-driven and get to use my brain, and I feel that I am compensated fairly. I also work for a wonderful non-profit organization, and that helps. The corporate world isn't really for me.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,449,512 times
There are certainly times I do not like my job due to the hours required or high stress periods, but for the most part it's alright. There is a lot of flexibility with it. I just spoke to my manager about moving back closer to family and working in an ad hoc office out of my parents' house for the interim. My manager was totally on board with it because she knows that I'm a good worker. They take decent care of us, relative to what I have heard about other companies. Every year they fly us in to the HQ office and celebrate with a kickoff into the new year. Tons of free food, beverages, and swag. I am paid decently for the most part. I don't make bank, but for someone in their mid-20s, I'd say I'm doing alright. Considering I made about $15k less only 4.5 years ago, yeah, I'd say I'm doing alright.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,336,521 times
The only job I ever had that I loved was also one of the lowest-paying. I was a shipping and utlities operator in the 70's and was the first female hired. I did my job very well (had higher production than all the guys . . . maybe because I was the only one who wasn't a stoner). I worked alone, needed little supervision, was in shape, and I LOVED that job. But six months later management decided that it was time to promote me to a totally different position and that was a mistake. I still miss that little job to this day.

I just ended 21 years of employment with a job that I despised most of the time. But it's employer notorious for bad management, and most of the older workers hang in there just for the benefits, as I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment