Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:31 PM

207 posts, read 536,083 times

Advertisements

I just want to vent and i want people perspective.
I am 27, dropped out of college because I completely suck at school. I dealt with a learning disability my whole life. I still live with my parents by saving for a house and helping them out with bills because they are old and are living on social security.
My brother talked me into being a correctional officer. It's a low facility non violent place. Sometimes i just hate it becuz i have to work in the heat and have to deal with inmates. Most of all i luv about this job is my time off and great benefits and I can retire here with in 27 years and don't ever have to work becuz I always put alot of money into my 401K and they match whatever I got. My mom told me I have it made and that I can go some place else and it will be the same stress. and that people my age that have college degrees can't find a job. ( I am a hermit and i like it like that, I only have 1 friend) I have known people who have graduated and they are in huge debt and living place to place. And they get jealous becuz I work 5 days and off five days and I can take alot of time off of vocation and sick and still get paid. *knock on wood* My new supervisors don't harass us they just help us out. In our job a supervisor cannot just walk in and just fire you for no reason only the Warden but only she/he cannot fire you for no reason.
I try so hard to look at the good side. And on my days off I enjoy my times with my family. But then again I look at people from high school where they are toally successful making the big money.

I have a plan by going back to walmart and and going to school at night hoping to God that they will work around my schedule if I am working full time

What would you do? Would suck this job up for 27 years or go back to school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 11:45 PM

29,843 posts, read 24,947,456 times
It sounds like you have a very stable job that offers good benefits. The pay is probably somewhere in the 35K a year range. Really, that's pretty middle of the road, and nothing to scoff at. Since your living with your parents, you should be able to save and invest quite comfortably. I know many people who would say you have it made. Personally, I would be happy with a job like that given your situation.

Look, your always going to have people that are doing better than you. And then your going to have people that really aren't doing better but driving nicer cars, living in luxurious houses, etc. Who cares? What you need to focus on is doing what is right FOR YOU. If you feel college will open new doors and provide a better living, than go for it. You going to be stuck living with your parents for another 4 (probably more) years though.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:10 AM

754 posts, read 1,924,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It sounds like you have a very stable job that offers good benefits. The pay is probably somewhere in the 35K a year range. Really, that's pretty middle of the road, and nothing to scoff at. Since your living with your parents, you should be able to save and invest quite comfortably. I know many people who would say you have it made. Personally, I would be happy with a job like that given your situation.

Look, your always going to have people that are doing better than you. And then your going to have people that really aren't doing better but driving nicer cars, living in luxurious houses, etc. Who cares? What you need to focus on is doing what is right FOR YOU. If you feel college will open new doors and provide a better living, than go for it. You going to be stuck living with your parents for another 4 (probably more) years though.
Great advice. As you are still living with your parents the risk you are taking by going back to school are minimal because if you can't find a job once you graduate, you aren't going to lose everything. So, this decision is really up to you.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:27 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,703,066 times
If you decide to go back to school, have a career in mind....don't just go for no reason since you admit you are not a great student. Consider your personality in deciding other things you may do professionally. Do you think you might like to be a police officer? Since you are now familiar with the penal system, perhaps that might be a logical step going forward. Glad to see that you are able to take a balanced view of your job and that you appreciate the benefits of having a stable job where supervisors can't take arbitrary actions against staff. Many places your supervisors can be quite abusive without anyone overseeing it. Having to deal with inmates must be very difficult at times. I completely understand you wanting something else. I think you should think about what else to do, but don't quit unless you have a solid plan. Good you are saving money! Don't buy a house unless you are absolutely certain you have a steady source of income.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:48 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,372,595 times
Don't quit your day job....just yet. I'd first address your learning disability, you didn't say if it's dyslexia or something else. If you can find a school/counslor/tutor to help you with it and give you tools to over come the disability it will help you when/if you decide to go back to school.

I was fortunate to be diagnosed with dyslexia when in college and I was given tools to help and now have no problems with it.

As another poster said, you need to decide WHAT you want to do for a career and make sure there will be a future with said career. If your not sure, take a class or two to get your feet wet before you commit, college is expensive and there are plenty of grads out there right now that'd give their eye teeth for your job.

What ever you decide good luck.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:43 PM

531 posts, read 1,178,141 times
I would suggest you to keep your current job and maybe take a few night classes if you really want to go back to school. Maybe your current job will also provide tuition reimbursement?

Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,070,841 times
I think you are in a good situation, but I understand why you want to give school another try. I started out at a nearby state school, but didn't do well. I ended up taking a few classes at a community college to bring my GPA up then transferred to another school out of state. Transferring was the best thing I ever did. I took all my classes at night and graduated with a degree. During the day I worked as a secretary/typist to make money.

If I were you I'd keep your job as long as possible. It sounds like a pretty good scenario. If you do go back to school make sure they know about your learning disability.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,556,361 times
Keep your job, enroll in a community college, and get a tutor or academic coach that has experience in working with people with learning disabilities. This person will help you figure out what you learning style is, help you will your subjects, and will help you figure out what your strenths are, which will help you in deciding the best career. One thing that you can do at this moment is to forever stop saying "I suck at school." replace it with "I enjoy learning" or "I am becoming a better student every day."

Old 07-31-2011, 05:42 PM

207 posts, read 536,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBunny View Post
I would suggest you to keep your current job and maybe take a few night classes if you really want to go back to school. Maybe your current job will also provide tuition reimbursement?
They do but I work nightshift and its hard to get on days. After when inmates go to bed, i usually read but not that much becuz i can't concentrate. I use to take medcine in high school to help me concentrate I was taking Adderall at the time, and a co-worker of time told me i should go back and take classes online. But the problem is i was denied a loan and finacial aide becuz i scored low on the pratice test and i don't know where to find a tutor. Before I dropped out of community college i went to the tutoring and they completely sucked, and my mom hired an old tutor she sucked and i kept failing so i dropped out. Whats the point of going to school if you suck at it. I want to be a special Ed teacher. And Ehh

Old 07-31-2011, 07:09 PM

29,843 posts, read 24,947,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
They do but I work nightshift and its hard to get on days. After when inmates go to bed, i usually read but not that much becuz i can't concentrate. I use to take medcine in high school to help me concentrate I was taking Adderall at the time, and a co-worker of time told me i should go back and take classes online. But the problem is i was denied a loan and finacial aide becuz i scored low on the pratice test and i don't know where to find a tutor. Before I dropped out of community college i went to the tutoring and they completely sucked, and my mom hired an old tutor she sucked and i kept failing so i dropped out. Whats the point of going to school if you suck at it. I want to be a special Ed teacher. And Ehh
Dude, you sound a bit scattered and all over the place. Before investing a dime in further education, you need a sound plan unless you want to blow through piles of money just to drop out again. If you legitimately can't learn, you need to concur that battle first, otherwise college would be a huge waste. Aside from that, you would loose a comfortable job that pays a livable wage. Those kinds of jobs don't grow on trees son!

You wanna go and work for walmart while you go to school? What happens if you drop out? Your stuck at walmart for life unless you can get shown the door to another respectable job. And the fact is, most jobs that pay decent are going to require you to learn, which you state is your weakness. Consider your disposition and your options very carefully... Do not decide on an impulsive whim. The stakes are higher than you seem to appreciate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment