Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
$100,000 as a waiter? I find that really hard to believe.
Yes.

Emmer's minimum-wage fallout: Who makes $100,000 as a waiter or bartender? | MinnPost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 09:41 AM

456 posts, read 1,170,294 times
You would have to make $50/hour every hour. That is not only improbable, but if you actually believe that article, I feel sorry for you.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:45 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Do you have a desire to work with young kids?

Since you were considering Montessori for your child, have you thought about Montessori teacher education for yourself? The program costs vary so you'd have to research it but maybe becoming an AMI or AMS certified teacher is an option for you to explore.

Just throwing that out there. When my kids were younger and I found myself in a place where I needed money, and couldn't homeschool them, but I still wanted to provide them with a good early foundation and be involved in their early education, I ended up working for a private school in exchange for tuition. Now, with two kids I didn't have much of a paycheck after, but you only have one. Plus, I was not an official teacher. I worked first as a janitor, basically, then later on as the afterschool program provider and occasional substitute. If I'd had qualifications to work there in a more professional capacity, even just working with the 3 year old group, I would have made enough to cover their tuition and have a small but decent paycheck as well.

I was still able to be near, I knew all of the staff and faculty very well, and I was able to remain very involved in their education and not have to worry about paying sitters or paying for tuition for that matter.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:10 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
You would have to make $50/hour every hour. That is not only improbable, but if you actually believe that article, I feel sorry for you.
A college roommate made close to that as a waiter 30 years ago, but it was a high end restaurant in NYC (per person tab in hundreds in 80s), and his father was their main attorney. They would never have hired him otherwise. Today, such a restaurant surely has all staff earning $50+/hr, but not for 40 hours per week.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
There was a time when you could live a decent life being a waiter. Yes, even in NYC. My parents bought a house in Bergen county in the early 80s by waiting tables.

And yeh, and whole lot of writers work as waiters until they finished their book.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
There was a time when you could live a decent life being a waiter. Yes, even in NYC. My parents bought a house in Bergen county in the early 80s by waiting tables.

And yeh, and whole lot of writers work as waiters until they finished their book.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:47 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Teachers and food service waiters both have to stand on their feet and often deal with disrespectful, immature customers. Food service pays better or the same, but has more flexible hours and worse benefits. Teachers can also be more creative at times and have the personal satisfaction, tho rarely, of making a difference in someone's life. But you can impact society favorably in many ways that don't have to come from your profession. I think you should do what makes sense for your life and what you are most likely to enjoy. I know I would rather do a waiter job than be a teacher because of the personal freedom and less disappointment in students and their parents.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
First I have to comment how funny it struck me that you want to teach apparently in the public school system but that is not good enough for your son???
Who would care for your child while you were working?
Secondly I live in a resort area and servers can make BIG bucks IN season but definitely not on a year around basis.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,941 times
Quote:
$100,000 as a waiter? I find that really hard to believe.
It was in the movie "Blues Brothers"

Old 03-03-2013, 11:45 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
First I have to comment how funny it struck me that you want to teach apparently in the public school system but that is not good enough for your son???
Who would care for your child while you were working?
Secondly I live in a resort area and servers can make BIG bucks IN season but definitely not on a year around basis.
TONS of public school teachers have their kids in private school. When I worked at my children's previous school (private), many of the parents were public school teachers.

My kids now go to a public charter school and many of the teachers there have their kids either in different public schools, other charter schools, or private schools. I think there is one teacher at my kids' school who actually has her kid there with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment