Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 04:13 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,601,864 times

Advertisements

My paternal grandfather was a sea captain, a brick and stone mason, a soldier and a farmer. Then he spent 10 years cutting giant fir and spruce trees and with a crew, splitting them into long bridge beams with double-ended saws.

My paternal grandmother was a horse trainer and appeared at rodeos shooting pistols and throwing knives and hatchets while riding. She appeared twice as a guest performer in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. She was 6 feet tall, weighed 165 lbs, and was as tough and mean as a cobra.

My maternal grandfather built a general store and trading-post on a freight-hauling road in a small, Eastern Oregon settlement and was the first postmaster there.

My maternal grandmother was a master seamstress, gourmet cook and candy-maker. She supervised the commercial candy-making at a large store in a bigger city, where my mother worked for several years after high school. It was a real joy for a small boy to visit her house during the holiday season.

All four of them came to this state on the Oregon Trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 11:32 PM

21,878 posts, read 25,195,050 times
Maternal
Grandmother 1 (biological) - Girlfriday, secretarial, cleaning lady, babysitter, in-home care.
Grandmother 2 - Secretarial, piano instructor
Grandfather - Carpenter, union coordinator and college professor after his heart attack

Paternal
Grandfather- roughneck, diesel mechanic, welder
Grandmother - crazy alcoholic.

Mom, clinical laboratory scientist; dad, pharmacist.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-22-2016 at 11:44 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 02:49 PM

997 posts, read 711,596 times
Mom: Housewife/Waitress (Grade 10, GED)
Dad: Sleeping Car Porter (Grade 7)

Maternal G Parents:
Grandpa: Laborer (could not read or write)
Grandma: Domestic Maid

Paternal G Parents:
Grandpa: Bad Alcoholic
Grandma: Domestic Kitchen

I'm Black. My people did the best they could.

Me: Bachelors in Nursing and Masters in Business Administration

Old 09-25-2016, 03:39 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,797,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Just to revert from the the more negative threads in this sub forum, I thought this would add less distress. I think it would be interesting to see how skills have transformed through generations.

My father is a carpenter, and my mother is a CNA. My paternal grandparents were both tailors.
My Father and Mother worked for Tektronix. Mom worked there for 30+ years.

Grandmother was a housekeeper.

Aunt (A direct sibling of my Mother) worked for 40 years with WU...

Old 09-25-2016, 08:36 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,980,196 times
My mother was a teacher and my father was a lawyer.

I'm not sure what my grandparents jobs were. I think my grandmother on my mother's side worked in a sweater factory and my grandfather on that side worked building submarines for at least a while.

On my father's side I think his father may have owned some kind of warehouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment