Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:21 PM

29,839 posts, read 24,942,627 times

Advertisements

My father was an engineer. When the economy in Michigan took a dive, he went through about 4 years of unemployment. He made tons of money though so he considered it semi retirement. He went back to work a couple years ago and now services commercial and industrial refrigeration units. He seems to like it enough, even though he's not making near what he used to. He enjoys the lack of stress, the company vehicle, etc. My mother works as a medical assistant. She actually makes pretty decent money for a rather low paying profession.

One of my grandfathers was a mold maker. He got into the profession after serving in WW2. Started as an apprentice and worked his way up to foreman over the years and made great money. He retired at 55 and died at 89. In the end, without my grandmother working, there was about 1.2 million left to his children. That should give everyone an idea of what skilled mold makers earned back in the "good ol days".

My other grandfather served in the marines during the Korean war. After leaving the service, he bounced around a bit. He worked in a heat treating plant for awhile, but eventually started working for a school district. Much the same as my other grandfather, he climbed the ranks. Eventually, he became the district superintendent for the buses. His wife worked for General Motors for about 30 years. Both received great pensions and lived very comfortably.

Ahh... The good ol days. When you didn't need to invest thousands to climb the ranks. You just needed a brain and a work ethic. And even then, a work ethic could keep the refrigerator stuffed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,111,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

Ahh... The good ol days. When you didn't need to invest thousands to climb the ranks. You just needed a brain and a work ethic. And even then, a work ethic could keep the refrigerator stuffed
There's a big difference between being a baby boomer and a Gen Xer.

From what I have seen, educated and/or semi-competent baby boomers were provided with enough jobs and pensions to live out at least a comfortable life.

But the baby boomers are hurting, people who are in their 50s right now. I've seen so many people in their 50s who have no job, no retirement, no house, and no spouse. They have grown kids themselves and yet need to live with their own parents. So, three generations under one roof. Sometimes the little one is the breadwinner. Kind of sad.

And it wasn't really even about climbing the ranks. Posters here have cited examples of their parents being run of the mill, non management employees, which was good enough back then.

With these new generations, there's going to be a lot of people depending on their kids to take care of them for many years. I'd like to see posters go up to them and ask them if 75K is enough to 'live'?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 PM

59 posts, read 98,715 times
Paternal Grandfather - dropped out of HS to support his family working as a butcher. He fought in the Battle of Okinawa in WW2 as a Naval Amphibious Warrior and then became an insurance salesman in NY until he retired in his 50's, after owning his own home and putting four kids through college. (He had no education past 10th grade)

Paternal Grandmother - homemaker of four children and later a preschool teacher. (Graduated HS)

Maternal Grandfather - worked for Pan American Airlines and was killed when Fight 1-10 went down in Ireland in April of 1948.

Maternal Grandmother - graduated HS at sixteen and became a Registered Nurse. Worked as a school nurse until she was 75 years old.

Father - Masters Degree in Psychology - worked as very successful business owner until January 2007 when he sold the business due to the recession.

Mother - B.S. in nursing - always worked part time as a nurse.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:54 PM

213 posts, read 698,490 times
FATHER - Retired Auto Worker - Current Q/A Consultant
MOTHER - Engineer 25 years (no college degree!)

PATERNAL
GRANDFATHER - Ex Marine - Retired Cop
GREAT GRANDFATHER - Fire Chief

GRANDMOTHER - Housewife (never had a driver's license!)
GREAT GRANDMOTHER - Housewife (never had a driver's license!)

MATERNAL
GRANDFATHER - Various factory jobs
GREAT GRANDFATHER - ?

GRANDMOTHER - Housewife
GREAT GRAND MOTHER - ?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:00 PM

29,839 posts, read 24,942,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
There's a big difference between being a baby boomer and a Gen Xer.

From what I have seen, educated and/or semi-competent baby boomers were provided with enough jobs and pensions to live out at least a comfortable life.

But the baby boomers are hurting, people who are in their 50s right now. I've seen so many people in their 50s who have no job, no retirement, no house, and no spouse. They have grown kids themselves and yet need to live with their own parents. So, three generations under one roof. Sometimes the little one is the breadwinner. Kind of sad.

And it wasn't really even about climbing the ranks. Posters here have cited examples of their parents being run of the mill, non management employees, which was good enough back then.

With these new generations, there's going to be a lot of people depending on their kids to take care of them for many years. I'd like to see posters go up to them and ask them if 75K is enough to 'live'?
I see much the same thing. It doesn't seem to be putting a damper on our lust for consumption because all the stores are packed. Heck, people are still driving nice, newish looking cars. I think one of the big differences today is people don't save up for major purchases like before. Credit cards became popular under Reagan due to lax restrictions and reform. Basically added fuel to the keeping up with the Jonses syndrome. As our economic foundation continued to slide, credit has basically filled in the gaps that existed when the money really wasn't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
MOTHER - Engineer 25 years (no college degree!)
Same with my dad. Pretty much why he no longer works as an engineer! I have worked with several engineers still working who have no degrees though.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,316,164 times
My father was a Electronics Engineer, his father worked at a roof shingle factory, his mother stayed home. My mother mostly stayed home with 9 kids but also taught oil painting classes. Her father owned a grocery store, her mother stayed home but worked their farm.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:20 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,254,137 times
Smile Occupations

Parents:
(Father) - College Graduate - Managed then owned country clubs; became self employed
(Mother) - College Graduate/MBA - Dietician - Got married - SAHM

Maternal Grandparents:
(Grandfather) - Owner of Hardware Store
(Grandmother) - SAHM

Paternal Grandparents:
(Grandfather) - College Graduate - RH Donnelly - Ad Man; then formed his own ad agency
(Grandmother) - SAHM

I am a baby boomer but remember, there is an 18 year range. I'm in the middle to end but not too many people I know were lucky enough to have pensions, however, if you worked in government or teaching, that would have been a good choice. I was fortunate to get a 401K at one place but mostly, I've been self employed (not complaining).

Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 PM

21,886 posts, read 25,195,050 times
mother - Clinical laboratory scientist
father - Pharmacist
maternal grandfather - carpenter, after his heart attack taught carpentry/metal working and active in the union.
maternal grandmother - myriad of jobs, mostly clerical in offices, librarian.
maternal step grandmother - pianist, taught music in elementary school and then piano lessons in retirement.
paternal grandfather - heavy equipment mechanic. Worked on tanks as a civilian contractor, later worked on mine equipment mostly the uranium mines.
paternal grandmother - homemaker.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:56 PM

595 posts, read 2,704,227 times
Mom - CNA and then worked at Nursing homes as an Activities Director.
Dad - works at Harris Corp dealing with their alarm systems.
Maternal Grandma - was a SAHM for many years and then worked at a phone company.
Maternal Grandfather - was in the Navy for four years then worked at the LIRR and two other jobs doing I don't what. (they had 7 kids)
Paternal Grandfather - Tried his hand at being a pop singer in the early 50's and then after that worked at Northrup Grumman in Procurement.
Paternal Grandma - worked at Record Co making Records.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:44 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,975,450 times
Mother - Housewife, she didn't even have a driver's license
Father - worked in the mill

Paternal Grandfather - Farmer
Paternal Grandmother - housewife (when you use the term housewife for a farmer's wife that is a misnomer, lots of hard work)

Maternal Grandfather - Medical Doctor
Maternal Grandmother - Farmer (yes she & the 8 children plowed, planted & harvested and always had a beautiful flower garden and plenty of food)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment