Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:11 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,675,716 times

Advertisements

Just to revert from the the more negative threads in this sub forum, I thought this would add less distress. I think it would be interesting to see how skills have transformed through generations.

My father is a carpenter, and my mother is a CNA. My paternal grandparents were both tailors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 03:20 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
My parents are retired now, but my mom always had secretarial jobs & did real estate too. My dad did warehousing and heavy equipment operations. He also used to be in the army. One or maybe both grandmothers were housewives. One grandfather worked on the railroad. I really don't know what the other grandfather did.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:21 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Parents were engineer/housewife.

Grandparents were farmer/housewife and railroad engineer/housewife.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:26 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,271 times
My dad is a truck driver, and has been for the past 35 years.

My mom has held a variety of low-skill jobs. For the past 15 years or so, she's been a teacher's aide at the local school district.

Neither of them stepped foot in a college.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:47 PM

556 posts, read 946,100 times
Mom is an educator (20+ years teaching, then 10 as a school administrator, and now 3 as a district administrator), with a masters and doctorate earned later in life. Dad had a bachelors and was a banker (passed away in his 40s). He was also in the Corps of Engineers for a few years. Step-dad has a bachelors and is a software developer, after several years serving as a translator in the Army.

On one side, grandfather was an electrician by training, but was a jack of all trades in reality (handyman, mail carrier, firefighter, fire inspector). He got initial training as an electrician and in firefighting in the Coast Guard, then used his GI benefits for additional trade school. Grandmother was a secretary, trained in a school that was part of the New Deal. She quit working when she had kids, but went back to work when the youngest started school.

On the other side, grandfather was a small business man (restaurant, grocery store). No college or military training. Grandmother had a bachelors and was a teacher for several years before having children. She did not go back to work, but passed away when her youngest was four, so who knows if she would have gone back eventually.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:39 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,991 times
Father- IBM salesman / Mother- Housewife
Paternal GF- Farmer / GM- Housewife
Maternal GF- Barber / GM- Housewife

Father was first in the family to graduate from college.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:17 PM

35 posts, read 100,673 times
My father worked in Sanitation and is now retired. My mother is Administrative Assistant. My grandfather is a minister. His wife was a housewife and a pre-school teacher before that.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:28 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
Grandparents were farmers. My dad became a private detective for Pinkertons when he retired from the Air Force. After that he got into the entertainment business and worked as an entertainment broker in Hollywood. He sold blocks of tickets for major shows to big businesses. He handled everything from the Opera to the Beatles. I got to see the Beatles at Hollywood Bowl in the front row.

My mother first worked as a secretary at Pinkertons, where she met my Dad, and then got into the music industry, where I started working. At one time there were three generations of us working in the record business.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:59 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,874 times
My dad was an electronics engineer, my mom a laboratory technician.
My dad's parents ran a grocery store, my moms parents father worked in a steel mill and later they opened a small store.

I'm a power loafer.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,303 times
Maternal Grandfather - worked on the railroad
Maternal Grandmother - housewife
Paternal Grandfather - coal miner
Paternal Grandmother - housewife
Father - CHAMPUS at Blue Cross
Mother - housewife, secretary in the local school system, secretary at Olan Mills, then Walmart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment