Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 06:09 AM

4,584 posts, read 12,394,509 times

Advertisements

My paternal GF was an inventor and started up a shop to build and repair generators and electric motors in SoCal the shop grew and his two adult sons my uncle and father started up another shop in Portland, OR. All were self taught electricians and at one time my father was president of EASA, Electrical Apparatus Service Association. My older brother was in the industry also until he retired. Interestingly, they all had some form of dyslexia and myself and my brothers and cousins all have a form of it...runs strong in our family, however we all went to college and graduated.

My maternal GF was allegedly a carpenter, but I never met him and he was never talked about nor have I ever seen a photo of him. My mother rarely worked and was more of a gold digger, she was my father's 2nd wife and never worked during their marriage. She was born and raised in this country but her English skills were very poor, I don't know if she ever finished HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 06:14 AM

1,574 posts, read 3,304,980 times
Mom - nurse (diploma RN)
Her dad: bookkeeper (2-year business school), career with Frigidaire/GM
Her mom: worked clerical at Frigidaire (until she married).

Dad: PhD materials scientist (career USAF)
His dad: Tool & Die maker (apprenticed at Studebaker, eventually owned his own shop)
His mom: beautician (until she married)

Old 12-24-2013, 07:15 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,177,802 times
Maternal Grandfather - Worked in Family lumber yard
Maternal Grandmother - Worked as a secretary at our local college
Paternal Grandfather - Electrician
Paternal Grandmother - I believe she was a housewife 90% of her life
Mother - Housewife, now CNA after her divorce
Father - Currently a COO and consultant in healthcare administration

Old 12-24-2013, 07:38 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,284,112 times
Father -- Fourth grade education, shop foreman in manufacturing industry. Had to leave school when his father died in
workplace accident, in order to work and support family. Was also professional singer and boxer.
Mother -- 10th grade, Clerical and retail sales.
Maternal grandfather -- Immigrant, shipyard labor land later site superintendent at quarry.
Paternal grandfather -- Drayman, small business owner, horse-drawn heavy transport.
Grandmothers only housewives.
All above now deceased.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:43 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,604,716 times
Mom: Has had jobs in McDonalds, machine operator in manufacturing, home care for the elderly and currently wall mart.

Dad: worked for the state doing maintenance when I was very young but was pensioned off due to an accident when he was in his early 40's.

Step dad: Auto mechanic, Machine Operator in manufacturing and currently I think on disability due to mental illness.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:11 AM

16,824 posts, read 17,811,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Father was an electrician and mother worked for United Catholic Conference helping refugees relocate and adjust to life in the US.

Mother's father worked for the government (I believe it was NOAA) and her mother worked for Washington Area Transit Authority as a secretary.

Father's father was an elevator engineer and worked on most of the federal government buildings. His mother was a house wife but also an artist.
Maybe you are very young but NOAA formed in the 70s.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:53 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,459,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Just to revert from the the more negative threads in this sub forum, I thought this would add less distress. I think it would be interesting to see how skills have transformed through generations.

My father is a carpenter, and my mother is a CNA. My paternal grandparents were both tailors.

My grandfather worked as a truck trucker for Nabisco and my grandma was a stay at home mom. Years later they both were school bus drivers.

My mom did house cleaning/pet sitting and my dad worked at Smith and Wesson in the factory.

Myself - very different. I work at a law firm as the work flow coordinator. (basically a back up for my supervisor)

Old 12-24-2013, 08:59 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,132,852 times
one grandpa a cop grandma stayat home mom. other grandpa worked in a factory grandma stay at home mom

Old 12-24-2013, 09:05 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 553,961 times
Mom is a nurse.
Mom's mom was a schoolteacher, I believe and mom's dad was a civil servant and lawyer.
Dad is an accountant by training but hasn't worked in it.
Dad's mom was a housewife and dad's dad was a soldier.
Mom's family is the more accomplished one overall.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:45 PM

659 posts, read 944,010 times
Dad job-hopped a lot. Opened tons of businesses and made bank, but he had a problem finishing as my mom put it. My dad can take any business from the ground up and make millions, but he cannot for some strange reason "keep the engine going". He'd lose interest or lose his momentum, and then he's on to another business venture. Maybe he had a really short attention span?

My step-dad is a Painter. Pre-Recession he was making lots of money painting mansions up in Scottsdale and other areas. He showed me Sylvester Stalone's house (one of many I guess) before it was being built and what walls to paint. He does business with celebrities and rich people including Christina Aguilera. Business dried up after the Recession (he was a one-man company), he was forced to retire for awhile because he contracted Tuberculosis. Once in awhile he'd get painting requests from family, churches (his father used to paint churches back in Romania as well), and other small businesses, but it's not enough of an income. His tuberculosis cleared up and he's raring to go back to work but doesn't want to work for another boss especially ones with no union. Before we moved to AZ, he'd paint buildings like the Empire State building and World Trade Center with his colleagues (he was part of union). Sadly his colleagues died during 9/11 :/ They were called in to paint the WTC and then the plane crashed and rest is history.

My mother is a travel agent for a multi-billion dollar international agency. In NYC she worked for the corporate industry like Nike, Reebok, Rolex, car dealerships, etc. She was the go-to person when people called her agency (mostly CEOs or Administrative Assistants) to book flights for really important people to other countries for business. In AZ, the company (same company) sets their eyes in the entertainment industry. I always liked it when my mom was like, "I just got off the phone with Vin Deisel, he booked his vacation", or "I talked to Penelope Cruz today, she's very sweet and down to earth", or "I booked the Jonas Brothers' hotel rooms under their pseudonyms" or "Britney Spears called".... etc. she not only books celebrities, but also Broadway, movie directors, and videogame companies like Electronic Arts for example.

My grandmother was mostly a housewife and later on in life until my grandfather's death, she worked as a tailor, seamstress and fur coat maker.

My grandfather worked with grandma. They both worked in a NYC basement in our apartment complex for years making high end fur coats, jackets, and sweaters. When people stopped wearing fur coats or even the fake ones, their business dried up. I still have the fur coats that I wore when I was little -- my hope is to give them to my daughter some day. My mother still has one or two coats herself. These are remnants of what my grandpa made not only in his business but for us.

My grandmother on my dad's side was bedridden for 20 years until her death, I think she was a housewife before that. I have no idea.

My grandfather on dad's side.... no idea. Ever since I was little, grandpa or my dad never mentioned what his father did for a living. So it's a mystery much like his side of the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment