Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 04:30 PM

358 posts, read 1,057,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I was just wondering: how are people who cannot find work in the current economy, and/or may have been laid off and cannot find a job to replace the one that was lost, able to make ends meet financially?

For example: even though they may not have a job, they still have to have a roof over their heads, be able to put food on the table, pay for energy and heating costs, etc. But with no active job salary coming in, how are they able to do it, on a practical and everyday basis? Do they stay and/or live with family members who can help asssit them financially, for as long as they are out of work? Also, what about those who have no living relatives? I can see how practical measures like food stamps can assist them with the need for getting food, but even with that, how are those out of work able to keep up on an apartment or mortgage payment, for instance?
Food banks and assistance from my church helped me get through my unemployment. If I didn't have that kind or amount of assistance, that period of my life would have been much more stressful and depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 04:31 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
You lose all your savings, pawn or sell anything you can, pay only the essential bills, eat less food, never go anywhere, give up cable and the internet, cut your own hair, shop for clothes at Good Will, eat a lot of Ramen and Swanson dinners, go without health and dental care, never eat out in a sit down restaurant, pray your car holds up or doesn't get re-possessed, and go to job interviews feeling like if you get hired you will have won the lottery.
Stress never ends and depression sets in as a permanent state of mind.
''Friends'' and family abandon you and people treat you like a loser who is to blame for how your life has gone in the proverbial toilet.
You never carry cash and you check your bank account daily to see how many bucks you have left before you go to the dollar store for milk.
Pretty soon you feel like an outcast and you no longer shop for pleasure or can tolerate being around those who are not like you, i.e., unemployed.
Your values change, you trust nothing as permanent in the economy, and you thank God that when you were evicted that one good person helped keep you with a roof over your head.
My biggest thrill now? The day I pay the rent. This means I can rest easy for a bit until the next 30 days go by as today I have a job and tomorrow I might not.
Then it starts all over again...

Old 09-21-2013, 04:32 PM

358 posts, read 1,057,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I hear gangs of libertarians sour the countryside screaming "parasites!" hunting for unemployed people that they can cook and eat.
Geez, do they think it's a zombie apocalypse? Hopefully there aren't any in my state.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Isn't there good news out on the unemployment rates?

Where I live it's still higher than the rest of the country and I don't know of anyone who can't find a job.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:24 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
I really like Dave Ramsey's plan, and trying to do it myself. It basically goes like this:

1. Build up a quick emergency fund of 1K-5K in savings for unexpected expenses
2. Save and put all extra money into paying off debts asap
3. Save up at least 6 months of living expenses for an emergency fund.

Course in today's climate, I'm not so sure I would even feel comfortable with just 6 months. A year's salary is more like it.
What about people who don't make enough to save much (if anything), even when they ARE employed? I make what's considered a good salary in any other part of the country, but here in the Bay Area as a single person, it just barely covers my monthly expenses. Luckily I have other means of support, if it were needed, but saving a year's worth of salary? Not gonna happen anytime soon.

When I was laid off in 2010, I received unemployment benefits that would have lasted two years (I got a new job in 8 months). It was only about 1/2 of what I had previously made, but gave me just enough to pay rent and a few other expenses @ $1900/mo. So I guess that's how some people make it, at least in the short run... of course, this is only possible if you didn't QUIT or get FIRED.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:27 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorjason View Post
Geez, do they think it's a zombie apocalypse? Hopefully there aren't any in my state.
LOL... yes, the zombie libertarians are coming to get you!!!! Better put out some weed to distract them.

(I'm basically a libertarian myself, for the record)

Old 09-21-2013, 06:34 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Isn't there good news out on the unemployment rates?

Where I live it's still higher than the rest of the country and I don't know of anyone who can't find a job.
I believe our state's rate was unchanged, but our area's rate went up .2. I don't recall what the national rate is.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:53 AM

190 posts, read 190,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Quite a bit.

You're evidently projecting. How embarrassing for you.
what do you mean projecting

Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Most are doing the best they can with government and private aid. If and when this dries up, civil unrest will ensue, and many on the margins will die.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:13 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5ply10 View Post
what do you mean projecting
Psychological projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment