Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 AM

39,499 posts, read 27,855,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha7 View Post
Thats called Feedback extortion. If indeed this buyer leaves You a negative You can call Ebay CS let them read buyer's message and feedback will be removed Feedback extortion policy
I always have to use a mediation third party company to have the buyer remove my feedback, that again cost $$$$

I don't think ebay is seller friendly, but then again, it is life. They just want to make money and will use every way to college money. Then again, I am not complaining, it is life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 09:22 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,823,027 times
I think it's a lot harder and less lucrative than it used to be. I was never a big seller but it seems like it has gotten much worse for sellers over the years. Still great as a buyer but hard to make any profit as a seller. It's best for old stuff you have laying around the house or garage. Big stuff is pointless people don't want to pay a lot for shipping naturally.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:50 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,134,608 times
i do between 200k and 250k a month in sales. i have an incredible niche though, not many niches like that where its high priced products with repeat buyers. even with my recent success however there's problems. paypal recently put a reserve on my account so 25% of my sales are held, my profits are only about 10% so essentially im losing 15% on everything i sell. i dont have a ton of cash so at some point im gonna wind up with possibly upwards of 200k in holds and no money to buy product. i recently foudn a new supplier with cheaper prices and raised my ebay prices without taking too bad a hit in sales so looks like ill make it. the trouble with ebay is your business is in someone else's hands. with your own website its on you but with ebay your at the mercy of their policy changes and things like that. the goal of an ebay business should be to drive customers to your personal website where you dont pay ebay fees while still staying profitable on ebay

Old 11-19-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I always have to use a mediation third party company to have the buyer remove my feedback, that again cost $$$$

I don't think ebay is seller friendly, but then again, it is life. They just want to make money and will use every way to college money. Then again, I am not complaining, it is life.
actually ebay just rolled out a program which they do remove feedback under certain circumstances. ive had unjust feedback left 3 times recently and had it removed everytime

Old 11-19-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
actually ebay just rolled out a program which they do remove feedback under certain circumstances. ive had unjust feedback left 3 times recently and had it removed everytime
I haven't received any negative feedbacks thanks God for that.
But all three negative feedbacks I received in the past, I had to go through third party company to have it removed. I think each time is $20 or something (I could be wrong. I don't remember the exact amount anymore)

I see power sellers who have 99% positive feedbacks, and they have over 6000 listings a week. I can never do that. Too time consuming.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
i do between 200k and 250k a month in sales. i have an incredible niche though, not many niches like that where its high priced products with repeat buyers. even with my recent success however there's problems. paypal recently put a reserve on my account so 25% of my sales are held, my profits are only about 10% so essentially im losing 15% on everything i sell. i dont have a ton of cash so at some point im gonna wind up with possibly upwards of 200k in holds and no money to buy product. i recently foudn a new supplier with cheaper prices and raised my ebay prices without taking too bad a hit in sales so looks like ill make it. the trouble with ebay is your business is in someone else's hands. with your own website its on you but with ebay your at the mercy of their policy changes and things like that. the goal of an ebay business should be to drive customers to your personal website where you dont pay ebay fees while still staying profitable on ebay
Yeah bolded makes a lot of sense.

Best of luck. Like other poster pointed out, everybody who sells on ebay really deserves his or her profit. Selling on ebay certainly is never easy .

Old 11-19-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I haven't received any negative feedbacks thanks God for that.
But all three negative feedbacks I received in the past, I had to go through third party company to have it removed. I think each time is $20 or something (I could be wrong. I don't remember the exact amount anymore)

I see power sellers who have 99% positive feedbacks, and they have over 6000 listings a week. I can never do that. Too time consuming.
wow im really surprsied ebay will let a third party company do that. it basically means feedback doesn't mean crap but if yoru willing to pay some extortion money you can make your badd feedback go away. kinda sounds like hte better business burea lol.

the new program is basically if someone asks you to ship to a diff address and you refuse they can't leave you bad feedback for it, if someone is mad about a delay and you shipped in timelly manner but post office took forever they will take teh feedback away. wont work for everything but basically most stuff thats not your fault that in the past you got screwed for is now no longer gonna stay.

as for the people with 6000 listings a week they are mostly drop shippers dont actually hold product. i sell a few hundred items a week and thats about as much as i think i could handle without quitting my job

Old 11-19-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah bolded makes a lot of sense.

Best of luck. Like other poster pointed out, everybody who sells on ebay really deserves his or her profit. Selling on ebay certainly is never easy .
thank you for the well wishes. yeah thats the one thing i hate about ebay, if you wanna keep good feedback you basically gotta bow to the customer and kiss ass even when your right. ebay is the only place with that big a marketplace of buyers though so i guess if you wanna take the pros you gotta take the cons wiith them

Old 11-19-2013, 05:13 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,508,667 times
My info is a bit outdated, but I was a fulltime Ebay seller about 8-9 years ago. Back then making money was easy. I would go hit yard sales and grab super cheap stuff and resell it on Ebay for big profits. I was especially fond of buying and reselling video games. I was able to often pick up games at yard sales for like 50 cents, a dollar, and would resell them on Ebay for like $10-15 easy.

Anyway, I only sell a few things here and there now, but Ebay is lame anymore. It's oversaturated, seller fees are THROUGH THE ROOF, and fraud and buyer scams run rampant. Ebay will always side with the buyer too, so aside from taking legal action on your end with an attorney, you're going to probably lose money to scammers. Seriously though, the terrible scams and buyers and are what made me leave. People never paying, people getting an item and saying it was wrong or something, it wasn't worth it anymore.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:45 PM

30,504 posts, read 23,945,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
My info is a bit outdated, but I was a fulltime Ebay seller about 8-9 years ago. Back then making money was easy. I would go hit yard sales and grab super cheap stuff and resell it on Ebay for big profits. I was especially fond of buying and reselling video games. I was able to often pick up games at yard sales for like 50 cents, a dollar, and would resell them on Ebay for like $10-15 easy.

Anyway, I only sell a few things here and there now, but Ebay is lame anymore. It's oversaturated, seller fees are THROUGH THE ROOF, and fraud and buyer scams run rampant. Ebay will always side with the buyer too, so aside from taking legal action on your end with an attorney, you're going to probably lose money to scammers. Seriously though, the terrible scams and buyers and are what made me leave. People never paying, people getting an item and saying it was wrong or something, it wasn't worth it anymore.
So where would you suggest people go to sell now? Let's say that they don't have a website following, where would they go to help them build that up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment