Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 05:38 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I want to know what people sell to make thousands per month but it sure as hell isn't clothes.
Find a niche within your area of expertise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 04:51 PM

241 posts, read 223,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I am so glad I saw this thread. I have always had good luck in buying with ebay and have considered selling on it as I am a pack rat and need to clean out. Don't think so. I think Craigslist is the way to go. Not as much exposure but less hassle.

I wish more sellers and buyers would post on this thread.
What are the major differences between Craig'sList and Ebay?

Old 02-15-2016, 05:15 PM

241 posts, read 223,483 times
Also, (I didn't read all the posts in this thread) what is it like selling on Etsy?

Old 02-15-2016, 05:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timemachineman View Post
What are the major differences between Craig'sList and Ebay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timemachineman View Post
Also, (I didn't read all the posts in this thread) what is it like selling on Etsy?
Craigslist doesn't allow you to offer to take Paypal and mail something. You'll get flagged. So you have to deal with people calling and maybe coming and maybe buying and maybe not buying. Meeting them somewhere other than your home is a good idea, and of course they may not show up and there you are with whatever you wanted to sell.

Ebay is so huge now it's really hard to make a profit and it's hard for buyers to find your stuff. You need to be sure your titles are very descriptive, using terms buyers will use to search for it. But, there are sellers selling stuff so cheap I have no idea how they make a profit after the Ebay and Paypal fees. I used to sell on Ebay and gave up years ago.

Etsy has a very bad search feature. I've sold things on Etsy, but it's hard for buyers to find you. There aren't enough categories and sub-categories. So, you need to try and make your title the perfect combination of terms your buyer will use, and then you're maybe and maybe not at the bottom of the list, hoping buyers will find you. Unless you're selling something unique enough - or you pay for their advertising to place you at the top. And there are Etsy fees.

Plus, Etsy won't let you just sell anything. You can sell craft supplies, vintage items (over 20 years old) or hand-made items, basically. You aren't allowed to buy some item in bulk that's not over 20 years old, and sell it on Etsy - unless it's craft supplies.

I gave up on all of them, honestly. I think people who have regular yard sales are the smart ones - but then you still have to deal with theft. Or the flea markets. And you have to have somewhere to store your stuff.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:10 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Not sure if this is the proper forum to post this thread.

Anyway, I am a part time ebay seller, ebay business is a side business which generates pretty good income for me. Several years ago, I could be able to make anywhere between $2000 - $5000 / month, but now, I list the same amount of stuff and can only be able to generate $1000 - $2500/month. It still is considered to be pretty good income for a side business. Plus, I only need to work 2 hours a day, 4 days a week. I don't need to rely on this business to pay bills, thanks God.

What have you been your experience selling on ebay? Do you think it is still worth it? Thank you.
Due to my living conditions, I'd be doing that instead of slaving away for some of the corps....There's hundreds of retirees who'd be able to relax and retire fully if they had the same going on.

i'd go after that like a stallion after a mare....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment