Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 02:28 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the proper forum to post this thread.

Anyway, I am a part time ebay seller, ebay business is a side business which generates pretty good income for me. Several years ago, I could be able to make anywhere between $2000 - $5000 / month, but now, I list the same amount of stuff and can only be able to generate $1000 - $2500/month. It still is considered to be pretty good income for a side business. Plus, I only need to work 2 hours a day, 4 days a week. I don't need to rely on this business to pay bills, thanks God.

What have you been your experience selling on ebay? Do you think it is still worth it? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 02:31 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,107 times
I think etsy has given ebay some competition.

What do you sell to make that much? I'm building my own website soon and am wondering if I should just sell my stuff on a commercial website. Don't want the competition though.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:43 PM

I don't think what I sell really matters. What really matters is that I list so many stuff a day (100 a day) and my price is always so dirt cheap.

I know a lady who sells antique on ebay. She only lists 5 - 7 items a day, and she makes way more money than I do. I cannot be able to find such profitable product, unfortunately.

I used to have a website selling lingerie and prom dresses. I don't think I can compete with other professional sellers. So I decided to stick with Ebay. So far so good.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I think etsy has given ebay some competition.

What do you sell to make that much? I'm building my own website soon and am wondering if I should just sell my stuff on a commercial website. Don't want the competition though.
Maybe a little bit off topic, I wonder that if you take promotion into consideration. It perhaps takes a lot of money to promote your web business. Selling online is so difficult now..

Old 11-17-2013, 02:48 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,775,483 times
I basically liquidated my remaining store inventory on Ebay, averaged 4-5K per month gross, and managed to net a good profit. Today, I wouldn't do it, too expensive, the net profit just is not there for the small lister.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I basically liquidated my remaining store inventory on Ebay, averaged 4-5K per month gross, and managed to net a good profit. Today, I wouldn't do it, too expensive, the net profit just is not there for the small lister.
Yeah, this has been my experience too, unfortunately.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:26 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
I used to sell books. The problem is that there'd be large sellers that would undercut me to the point where there's no way I could make a profit.
Say I have a book at $9.99. They have theirs at $8.99 ok fine I take 10% off. But because this seller has such volume they don't charge for shipping. I can't do that and if I tried it would not be worth my time.

Having said this I sold a bit on Amazon as well. Amazon can sell things faster but there's less money due to higher commissions.

If you are looking to get rid of things and make something it might be ok but I think it's too much of a hassle to try to make it something beyond small.

Ebay has half which can be good for somethings. A long time ago I tried to sell off a leather jacket but lost money on the posting. Sometimes when something doesn't sell there's really no recourse other than lowering the price. I've seen pricewars on books which can be funny but sad at the same time.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I used to sell books. The problem is that there'd be large sellers that would undercut me to the point where there's no way I could make a profit.
Say I have a book at $9.99. They have theirs at $8.99 ok fine I take 10% off. But because this seller has such volume they don't charge for shipping. I can't do that and if I tried it would not be worth my time.

Having said this I sold a bit on Amazon as well. Amazon can sell things faster but there's less money due to higher commissions.

If you are looking to get rid of things and make something it might be ok but I think it's too much of a hassle to try to make it something beyond small.

Ebay has half which can be good for somethings. A long time ago I tried to sell off a leather jacket but lost money on the posting. Sometimes when something doesn't sell there's really no recourse other than lowering the price. I've seen pricewars on books which can be funny but sad at the same time.
Not to mention that there are a lot of seller from China who sell stuff dirt cheap and they also offer free shipping. I can never be able to figure out exactly how can these seller afford that. But oh well.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:05 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,298,352 times
I Tune a very specific year of GM fuel injection, so I use E-bay for exposure. The fees and rules in recent years have gotten ridiculous, but I usually only have one auction at a time so my phone will ring. If I sell a $200 chip Ebay and PayPal get $26 of my transaction. They won't let me link my website anymore, and I can't even link pictures from my webspace. I really admire those of you that make good money, but I know you earn it too!

Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,581 times
I was a power-seller in high school, believe it or not. Made a nice buck while in school and taking standardized tests These days, it has deteriorated - just as you wrote. Between massive eBay fees, PayPal fees, and buyers who abuse the buyer protection, it's the last place I turn to to sell. eBay isn't what it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment