Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:10 PM

442 posts, read 588,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
My husband is disabled and selling on Ebay for 15 years, he makes anywhere from 5 to 15 thousand a month before expenses.
I won't say what he sells but buys broken, has learned how to fix and when he ships them, they look/work like new.
I wish I could tell you but then you would be his competition. People all over the world buy from him, I have asked if he gets scammed, he said only a few times.
That's great And it's good to keep that to yourself. Hope it keeps going well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 05:17 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,805,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
^^^ So you are making $40,000.00 forty thousand a month after your fees and cost of goods?
What are you his financial advisor and accountant or something? Jeebus..give the guy a break. FWIW the stories of profit are like anything else you have to put a lot of work into it and even then you might not be successful. It's about as far from a get rich quick scheme as you can get. As many have said it's a lot harder as a seller now.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 11-21-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Many times their buyers lie about not receiving the product, and ebay refunds them.

Only time that has happened to me in the last 5 years is overseas. When you do online postage it automatically includes deliver confirmation domestically. Endicia you can easily and pretty cheaply cover yourself insurance wise internationally.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:53 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,691,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
no im not a millioniair nor did i claim to be. you lack a basic understanding of business. just because i do 200k in sales doens't mean i make 200k a month. i make 8-10 percent margins after paypal/ebay fees and figuring in cost of product. then i also have additional fees such as packaging materials, advertising, etc. add to that paypal holds a quarter of my profits from every sale so over the course of 90 days i have over 150k tied up. im skating by im not rich, to be honest i really cant even pay myself for what i do because of the paypal holds but eventually ill hit a mark where paypal just holds an escrow amount and doesnt take all my profits
no need to be a dick i was just asking a question

Old 11-22-2013, 02:08 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,328,487 times
My personal experience and only my personal opinion is I can probably make more money picking up dog poop! But then I don't have a endless supply of whatever it is these people sell that makes so much money nor do I have the money to purchase large amounts of items to sell. I'm just one of the little guys and ebay is killing us!.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:17 PM

And I have to laugh at ebays "feedback"--happy face--sad face etc. I thought that went out with kindergarten. Oh, but I forget what the mentality is with many we are working with here so it probably fits fine. Now we take lots of pictures and spend more time then most with our descriptions--I am through--and then one of those very special persons with a reputation of 6 gives me a red--unhappy face--because the item packaging looked bad. Really, well not only was that pointed out in the description, the title and in several of the many pictures the guy isn't happy so he gives us a red....You know I can understand not being able to read by some up there but pictures--really--can't they see either?? And yes, they still get a full refund because we are honest people. Yep, it's a real kick working on ebay!

Old 11-22-2013, 02:35 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,978,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
no need to be a dick i was just asking a question
He wasn't. I think the way you posted the question sounded ironic, as if you did not believe his figures.

Sales mean nothing. What matters is the margins. I understood he was making around 200k a year, and the way it sounds I think he even makes less than that since after that post said his margins are 8% and he didn't include some costs(not sure why he didn't include those costs) Remember also, he still has to pay taxes out of that money.

Selling online is not easy and the margins can be very low. Sources can dry up, competitors might get figure a way to buy products at half the prices you buy them and leave you with a bunch of useless inventory. Inventory expires, consumer taste changes quickly. Low margins are today's reality even for retail stores, Amazon itself has very low margins for the products they sell themselves. Walmart has ridiculous margins. I have heard figures like 3%, so if you sell a million dollars but your margins are only 3% you are not really a millionaire, you are just making $30k Before taxes.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 11-22-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,691,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
He wasn't. I think the way you posted the question sounded ironic, as if you did not believe his figures.

Sales mean nothing. What matters is the margins. I understood he was making around 200k a year, and the way it sounds I think he even makes less than that since after that post said his margins are 8% and he didn't include some costs(not sure why he didn't include those costs) Remember also, he still has to pay taxes out of that money.

Selling online is not easy and the margins can be very low. Sources can dry up, competitors might get figure a way to buy products at half the prices you buy them and leave you with a bunch of useless inventory. Inventory expires, consumer taste changes quickly. Low margins are today's reality even for retail stores, Amazon itself has very low margins for the products they sell themselves. Walmart has ridiculous margins. I have heard figures like 3%, so if you sell a million dollars but your margins are only 3% you are not really a millionaire, you are just making $30k Before taxes.

I sell online I KNOW. I was just asking. He said he makes 200k as if it was gross profit. Thats why I asked

Old 11-23-2013, 12:33 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,978,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I sell online I KNOW. I was just asking. He said he makes 200k as if it was gross profit. Thats why I asked
No he did not. Maybe you sell online and possibly make more money than him but in the business world sales is just what you get paid for your product or services. I understand it can be confusing for the average person as most people expect to hear about profits, but the poster was very clear in his wording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
i do between 200k and 250k a month in sales. i have an incredible niche though, not many niches like that where its high priced products with repeat buyers. even with my recent success however there's problems. paypal recently put a reserve on my account so 25% of my sales are held, my profits are only about 10% so essentially im losing 15% on everything i sell. i dont have a ton of cash so at some point im gonna wind up with possibly upwards of 200k in holds and no money to buy product. i recently foudn a new supplier with cheaper prices and raised my ebay prices without taking too bad a hit in sales so looks like ill make it. the trouble with ebay is your business is in someone else's hands. with your own website its on you but with ebay your at the mercy of their policy changes and things like that. the goal of an ebay business should be to drive customers to your personal website where you dont pay ebay fees while still staying profitable on ebay

Old 11-23-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
And I have to laugh at ebays "feedback"--happy face--sad face etc. I thought that went out with kindergarten. Oh, but I forget what the mentality is with many we are working with here so it probably fits fine. Now we take lots of pictures and spend more time then most with our descriptions--I am through--and then one of those very special persons with a reputation of 6 gives me a red--unhappy face--because the item packaging looked bad. Really, well not only was that pointed out in the description, the title and in several of the many pictures the guy isn't happy so he gives us a red....You know I can understand not being able to read by some up there but pictures--really--can't they see either?? And yes, they still get a full refund because we are honest people. Yep, it's a real kick working on ebay!
I am very sorry--I did not mean the mentality of the people we are dealing with here on C-D--please forgive me if it was taken that way--I meant the people we deal with on ebay--not all of course but it only takes a few to ruin the batch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment