Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:10 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,458,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Are you a nurse? How many people who go into nursing or other medical fields say to themselves, "I don't mind blood, gore, and poop, and I want to help people"?

Probably very few. In fact if someone says he's into blood and poop, I wouldn't want him for my nurse! Gross.

It's something everyone has to learn to deal with. You don't go into a hospital and get a job as a medical assistant or NA because you enjoy changing bed pans and shaving people's legs. You do it because it's a part of your job that you have to learn to deal with in a professional way. That's what becoming a nurse or a physician or a PA or MA is all about: becoming a professional who can smoothly, easily execute all sorts of tasks ranging from gross yucky stuff to just holding someone's hand and listening to their complaints.

I think the OP is being realistic. Go for it, OP. Don't listen to the naysayers--I mean, listen, but don't let it stop you from pursuing a career.

I think there's a big difference between being grossed out by body fluids and learning to deal with it. It's not that I'm INTO blood and poop, but it's never bothered me. I'm already steps ahead if I don't have to 'learn to deal' with being around those things on a regular basis. There are definitely people out there who will never be comfortable with someone else's poop.

All we're saying is the OP should take steps to ensure this is something she will be able to handle before she invests time and money into the degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 09:48 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,608,628 times
Quote:
Are you a nurse? How many people who go into nursing or other medical fields say to themselves, "I don't mind blood, gore, and poop, and I want to help people"?

What's interesting is that I have found that usually one thing will get you.

Like blood pretty much bothers no one I know. But I know nurses who cannot stand the sputum. That thick, chunky sputum you suction out of pneumonia patients. Hurl. I don't care about that. Some people don't like vomit. Some people don't like the "code browns." And no one LIKES any of it, but I mean, they truly have a hard time dealing with it. Or the butt pus smell.

Mine is feet smell. I don't care about anything else. I will sit there with no mask or none of that menthol crap under my nose for a stage 5 decub with pseudomonas, no problem...but people's stinky feet...man, that is TOUGH.

So being bothered by something or another is pretty common in the medical field.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:14 AM

25,775 posts, read 17,532,308 times
Quote:
I am incredible bored with my accounting job. Time to go into nursing?
Yes. Begin your new journey tomorrow.

But don't forget your financial responsibility to yourself and those around you.

I'm retired. In my working life I was a sailor, an electronics technician, an auto mechanic, a salesman, businessman, a corporate executive, a business owner, and a truck driver, and almost in that order.

I wouldn't change it. Not one bit. I hope when you reach the end of your working life you feel the same way.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:30 AM

595 posts, read 2,710,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What's interesting is that I have found that usually one thing will get you.

Like blood pretty much bothers no one I know. But I know nurses who cannot stand the sputum. That thick, chunky sputum you suction out of pneumonia patients. Hurl. I don't care about that. Some people don't like vomit. Some people don't like the "code browns." And no one LIKES any of it, but I mean, they truly have a hard time dealing with it. Or the butt pus smell.

Mine is feet smell. I don't care about anything else. I will sit there with no mask or none of that menthol crap under my nose for a stage 5 decub with pseudomonas, no problem...but people's stinky feet...man, that is TOUGH.

So being bothered by something or another is pretty common in the medical field.
I ultimately discarded pursuing nursing because of poop. I can't do it. Hated changing diapers with both kids so dealing with Adult feces was an absolute no go. So no nursing for me for specifically that reason, LOL. There was no "learning to deal" with it.

Give me chunky calculus with full on halitosis and perio breath and I'm fine...but, poop? H*ll naw....

Old 11-23-2013, 10:40 AM

6,759 posts, read 6,015,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
I ultimately discarded pursuing nursing because of poop. I can't do it. Hated changing diapers with both kids so dealing with Adult feces was an absolute no go. So no nursing for me for specifically that reason, LOL. There was no "learning to deal" with it.

Give me chunky calculus with full on halitosis and perio breath and I'm fine...but, poop? H*ll naw....
Funny, with me raising a kid cured me of poop-o-phobia. Now when I encounter pissy or poopy underwear, it's just part of the job.

How did we get on this subject anyway?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:02 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,821,954 times
Default A TEMPORARY glut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
There is a big glut of new grad nurses who cannot find jobs in their field. If you have a steady gig in this economy, I think it would be unwise to give it up for an extremely saturated field.
My brother just started nursing school so I've been interested in the topic. Google "nursing shortage" and you''ll find a lot of info. Yes, there is a TEMPORARY glut in the nursing field. Why? Because of the recession, a lot of nurses haven't taken their retirement on schedule, maybe because a spouse lost their job or whatever.
When I was working in HR three years ago there was a documented shortage of 300,000 nursing positions. Three years from now those positions will be back. Do your research before your write off a lucrative profession like nursing. And good luck whatever you end up doing..

Old 11-23-2013, 01:03 PM

188 posts, read 664,793 times
LOL I've been a nurse forever and have no problem with sputum, poop, blood, urine, gangrene, or even stinky feet.. I'll even change a colostomy bag.. But ANYTHING with crawling bugs (ie maggots) will have me out the door and driving home. :P

Old 11-23-2013, 03:58 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,142,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
My brother just started nursing school so I've been interested in the topic. Google "nursing shortage" and you''ll find a lot of info. Yes, there is a TEMPORARY glut in the nursing field. Why? Because of the recession, a lot of nurses haven't taken their retirement on schedule, maybe because a spouse lost their job or whatever.
When I was working in HR three years ago there was a documented shortage of 300,000 nursing positions. Three years from now those positions will be back. Do your research before your write off a lucrative profession like nursing. And good luck whatever you end up doing..
Excuse you, but I'm IN the field. I am working on my BSN and have two years of healthcare experience. The field is very saturated, and there is no "nursing shortage." I would suggest you visit allnurses.com before parroting what you've "heard" for unreputable sites. There, you will find MANY new grads who have a hard time finding jobs, many going unemployed for over a year. Also, in some places like California, the unemployment rate for new grad is about 46%.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:59 PM

134 posts, read 253,821 times
thanks for your response, it's nice to get perspective from someone who is a cpa. I think you're right about someone with an accounting degree settling for a private sector position. At this point, I figured since I kind of screwed up the first time around, the best way for me to get into a public accounting position would be for me to go back for a masters in accounting since most of those firms seem to do their recruiting for entry level positions on campuses. But when I really think about it, I'm just not passionate about accounting enough to spend time pursuing another accounting degree taking basically the same classes I took as an undergrad. I've thought of all sorts of options... teaching at the university or high school level, or applying to other local cpa firms, i was also considering an actuarial program. But I'm not sure those jobs are all that different from what I do now. I'm not a great public speaker and tend to be a shy person. I also feel this makes it more difficult for someone like me to go up the ladder in an accounting career. I hate that I feel like I haven't really put my accounting degree to use and I feel like I'm jumping ship too soon. I keep wondering if I should keep trying different accounting jobs, maybe in another industry or government or whatever but it's still accounting and I really don't think it's what I want to do this for the rest of my career.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:03 PM

134 posts, read 253,821 times
Quote:

Probably very few. In fact if someone says he's into blood and poop, I wouldn't want him for my nurse! Gross.

It's something everyone has to learn to deal with. You don't go into a hospital and get a job as a medical assistant or NA because you enjoy changing bed pans and shaving people's legs. You do it because it's a part of your job that you have to learn to deal with in a professional way. That's what becoming a nurse or a physician or a PA or MA is all about: becoming a professional who can smoothly, easily execute all sorts of tasks ranging from gross yucky stuff to just holding someone's hand and listening to their complaints.

I think the OP is being realistic. Go for it, OP. Don't listen to the naysayers--I mean, listen, but don't let it stop you from pursuing a career.
thanks blister peanuts. A few people jumped at me for mentioning that but I thought most people found other people's bodily fluids kinda gross. But I do realize those become part of your job if you're in health care and you just learn to deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment