Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:20 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,132 times

Advertisements

There is a big glut of new grad nurses who cannot find jobs in their field. If you have a steady gig in this economy, I think it would be unwise to give it up for an extremely saturated field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 07:32 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,132 times
Also, I say this with gentleness but why the hell do you think you are cut out for nursing if you can't stand the sight of blood or other body fluids? I am in nursing school and have more than two years of healthcare experience and I guarantee you that poop and blood and vomit cannot be avoided.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Nursing? Well, I have not done nursing, but I have done emergency services in general. You are correct that it is never boring and always changing, .
Not true.
I find it mind-numbing now...

Old 11-22-2013, 08:25 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not true.
I find it mind-numbing now...
What are you doing that you find boring?

Old 11-22-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
What are you doing that you find boring?
ER doc.

But the truth is that if you're really good at what you do, it will tend to get boring.
This applies to almost anything.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:39 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,492 times
Quote:
ER doc.

But the truth is that if you're really good at what you do, it will tend to get boring.
Ah well I must've sucked I see what you mean though, it is true that you will deal with 95% bull and 5% s hits the fan. Are you in a smaller town? I have worked in both small town and large city and have to admit yes there are really slow moments in the small town, but the city (very dense population) was always busy.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Ah well I must've sucked I see what you mean though, it is true that you will deal with 95% bull and 5% s hits the fan. Are you in a smaller town? I have worked in both small town and large city and have to admit yes there are really slow moments in the small town, but the city (very dense population) was always busy.
Nope.
4 different trauma centers (3 level 1s), stroke center, chest pain center...all the big stuff.

It's not about it being bull (though it often is). It's just that after a few thousand patients, nothing is new or challenging or anything. It's basically different versions of the same thing over and over.

But like I said...do you really want a doctor who is challenged by what they do? Or someone who is like, "Yeah, seen this a thousand times and can totally handle it"?

I keep doing what I do because I am really freakin' good at it. And I care about my patients. But the satisfaction of having a stimulating, intellectually challenging career...not so much. I just know that about me. Once I get good at something, it bores the pants off me. It can be anything.

Not everyone is like that, and I know many people who find it stimulating to see all the gore or whatever other business. Believe me when I tell you it's a whole different feeling when you are ultimately responsible for the life or death of that guy, though. It's different than just kind of watching it or helping.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:57 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,492 times
Quote:
ER doc.

Youre an ER doc and find it boring? Jeesh. Youd hate my job then.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Youre an ER doc and find it boring? Jeesh. Youd hate my job then.
Probably. I hear about people's office desk jobs and I don't know how y'all do it.

I've done that kind of stuff before and every day was like torture.

It's just repetition. Anything like that will get boring.

The point of my bringing this up is because I don't think you should look for fulfillment/entertainment in your job...you may eventually get disappointed.
You should find the fulfillment in a job well done and a service to your community/clients, etc. Otherwise you'd just be job hopping forever.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
There's repetition in virtually anything and everything. There's no way to avoid it, and in truth, some people actually prefer things that way ( the chance to daydream, little to worry about, etc). I do agree with the OP when comparing accounting with nursing. I doubt that I could ever get excited about accounting, regardless of the type..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment