Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:23 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,873,942 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't give most of my coworkers one extra second of my time, let alone spend a Christmas Party with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 02:19 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,830,903 times
Just start letting people know that there's a family obligation that you can't get out of, so you'll only be able to be at the party for a short time. Then show up, make sure the bosses see you (so you look like a team player), smile and be pleasant, and then after 30-45 minutes, leave. If you get there in the beginning, you'll avoid most of the drunkeness by leaving early, and everyone will already know that you have to leave early, and may commend you for coming to the party for any time at all, given your family obligations and all.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:24 PM

763 posts, read 2,611,787 times
I worked with a woman who flatly refused to participate in ANY company function -- regardless of what it was. Our manager would give the support staff handmade gifts for Admin's week and she would either throw it in the trash, leave it in the kitchen for someone to take home or give it to someone else at the office. Never went to any type of birthday party, retirement party, Christmas party -- nothing. Her reason: it wasn't in her job description that it was company policy to attend various functions, so therefore, she chose not to participate. Extreme, yes, but I kind of agree with the reasoning behind it.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:56 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,866,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
I worked with a woman who flatly refused to participate in ANY company function -- regardless of what it was. Our manager would give the support staff handmade gifts for Admin's week and she would either throw it in the trash, leave it in the kitchen for someone to take home or give it to someone else at the office. Never went to any type of birthday party, retirement party, Christmas party -- nothing. Her reason: it wasn't in her job description that it was company policy to attend various functions, so therefore, she chose not to participate. Extreme, yes, but I kind of agree with the reasoning behind it.
Good for her. I love no-nonsense, go to work to work types of people. It's too bad there are so few of them in the workplace.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:13 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,797,710 times
I used to attend my company functions a very long time ago but when i got sick of being mistreated and used to give other workers rides to and from these events i stopped going altogether. i also now use that excuse(its not in my job description) when i normally would not. furthermore the upper eschelons of my company really dont think highly of me and i just do not want to be around them. they make me uncomfortable. they are grandiose and talk behind my back

and i am going to be treated for cancer any day now so i am probably going to be tired and have side effects. it is on a Sunday and i work on Sunday. that Sunday will be just too long for me to have to work then go home get dressed and attend when i don't know how i am going to be feeling aside from all the other drama...

Old 11-30-2013, 03:15 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,797,710 times
and anyway we have to pay for these events if we choose to go. it used to be free but if we said we were gonna go and didn't we would be charged $40. now we have to pay if we go. its silly. i don't feel that its R&R at all

Old 11-30-2013, 03:26 PM

763 posts, read 2,611,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Good for her. I love no-nonsense, go to work to work types of people. It's too bad there are so few of them in the workplace.
Yep, they've been replaced by the Brownie Brown-Nosers.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:56 PM

671 posts, read 858,906 times
It is a necessary evil. I HATE things like this so much.

But there is nothing that we can do....

Try to make the best of it.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:36 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,102,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
It is a necessary evil. I HATE things like this so much.

But there is nothing that we can do....

Try to make the best of it.
I disagree. I just tell everyone I hate parties and I am not going. Honest. Simple. Effective.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:37 PM

19,985 posts, read 30,392,392 times
go, have some free food and free drinks,,

bring your i-phone,,,,,you can easily black-male someone with the right pic or video,,,,or if its one of your bosses, those may get you some leverage...

you gotta think positive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment