Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:46 PM

414 posts, read 1,020,692 times

Advertisements

We're having a dept potluck for my grad program. The food "theme" is, no joke, non-colorful and bland (welcome to MN!). Needless to say, I'm bringing spicy, colorful mango salsa. I've got no one I need to impress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 09:16 PM

64 posts, read 116,450 times
I really feel like it is part of your job to go. It is only only night a year and it is definitely ok to leave early. Only consider not going if you have another job lined up and will be quitting shortly. If you can get away with it take some time off during the week before to do Christmas shopping during work hours, and then count the party as time worked.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:35 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,099,330 times
We have a mandatory potluck lunch during normal working hours.

So, no booze or anything out of the ordinary.

We have a major disconnect between management & labor, so it's somewhat awkward sitting next to some folks during chowtime.

Thank goodness that it's only an hour.......

Old 11-30-2013, 07:44 AM

212 posts, read 335,813 times
I've actually had good experiences at these events. Having the chance to speak to folks outside of the business setting has built some interesting friendships. You can learn a lot about your colleagues over a nice meal.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:49 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,430,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post
How do you feel about going to the Christmas Party being around Phony co-workers?

I'm not perfect but i'm pretty much a for real person. There's some co-workers that barely speak or want to be around you, which I don't have a problem with, my problem is.
One day out of the 365 days in the year at the Christmas Party, these same people are in your face laughing & trying to have a conversation with you.

Don't let them have some alcoholic beverage in there system, they are really going to be all up in your face!

Normally our Christmas Party is on a Saturday.

Here's the Shocker, come Monday morning back to work, these same fake co-workers return to being well, fake.

By me being genuine, a few times, I didn't want to attend the party simply because of experiencing this type of thing.

This year our party is on December 14th Again i'm thinking long & hard whether or not, I want to go.

Some of you have dealt with this at work & know exactly where i'm coming from.

Bottom line, do you suck it up and go on to the Christmas Party?
At my last job, I worked at an auto shop and I went to both Christmas parties my 2 years there. They weren't phony at all. Had a blast. In fact I could be more myself at that job than my current job, in an office.

I would still go to a Christmas party now, if/when we have one.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:36 AM

989 posts, read 1,878,655 times
I go every year, and do the predictable. Show up and have a plate of food. One glass of wine and not a another drop. Hang out for an hour, and exchange phony small talk with some people whom I could not care less about nor would I even want to engage. It's part of the game. I know it sounds shallow, but many people in the workforce can be shallow about a much to do about nothing event like an office party.

Don't give them a reason to say you're not a team player or antisocial blah blah blah. Some of these jerks have a lot of influence, and could be influential in what is put on your year end review. Yea, I know... many of us have to do things at times, which we don't want to do, but that's life.

Last edited by izannimda; 11-30-2013 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-30-2013, 09:46 AM

18 posts, read 233,936 times
Christmas parties are the best. Huge BBQ, music, coolers of beer.

We always have such a great time.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:42 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,196,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
It is just part of the game.

Suck it up and don't expect them to be your friends.

Just be glad you do have a job, so many Americans don't this season.
^^^ That and try to leave early.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:05 PM

5,135 posts, read 4,492,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
We're having a dept potluck for my grad program. The food "theme" is, no joke, non-colorful and bland (welcome to MN!). Needless to say, I'm bringing spicy, colorful mango salsa. I've got no one I need to impress.

What is the point of being passive-aggressive with them?

Old 11-30-2013, 01:16 PM

231 posts, read 391,233 times
My company party is next Saturday. I always bring the widow of one of the founders of the company. She is 92 and in a wheelchair. Those of us who have worked here for more than 10 years remember her husband fondly.

We arrive at 6:30 and leave by 8:30. Too tiring for her to stay out late. About 8:30 is when the music starts, and the younger employees hit the dance floor. I have heard that by 10:00 PM is when the effects of all the free alcohol being to take their toll.

Go early, make an appearance, thank the company executives, and get out gracefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment