Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:37 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,238,594 times

Advertisements

A CEO's job is to run a clean company, it is no greater of value than the job of the Janitor, because his/her job is to maintain a clean facility and work environment.
A company can function without the CEO, and we see it time and time again, when they jump ship and cash out. but a job cannot function without a Janitor, nor can a business enterprise function without janitorial work being done.

Most companies don't need a CEO, they have a company President, Directors and Managers, and Supervisors, all broken down making divisions productive, they are the ones who do the work and make the system function. CEO only purpose is to insure the brokers and traders can over trade and over value the stock while the CEO over-leverages the company and sell of its components, all so the brokers and traders, lawyers and bankers can profit, and a pittance is given to the actual stock holders, if they can get it before the stock goes bust. The CEO is the most worthless entity within the Company Structure, when it comes to concerns of the Actual Company Operations and Performance in sales and production. Company Presidents Ran companies and built up the best industry in the world which made America Strong, Every since they came up with the label of CEO, companies which existed for decades, vanished. When the concept of MBA came along, product quality vanished, and product size shrank. Workers got stripped and ripped. These two titles serve nothing but the promotion of over-zealous activity of spike and crash games of traders, brokers, bankers and attorneys.

Why society has this twisted view, is because people are duped by the suit and tie, its why the suit and tie can rip people off, steal their pension, loot the company and walk through the doors being non suspect, while they dismantle and destroy the business.

More people have been made bankrupt by the suits and tie wearing people, than anyone has ever had any wrong done to them by a janitorial person.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 02-28-2014 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 05:57 PM

25,667 posts, read 17,436,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
How do you know he isn't just financing or leasing it? He could've won the car. Somebody else could've bought it for him.

You don't really know if he can afford it. You're just assuming.
Exactly. He may come from a family with assets and needs to work because of the health care it provides.
He may be single and willing to spend everything he has for cars and electronics.
His wife may work for the government....

The OP should run his own life to the best of his ability. If he wants to work toward owning his own Mercedes some day, then go for it. It is all available to most of us. Actually, it is all available to all of us who have the gift of physical health and mental capacity.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,579,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
the point of this thread: Let me use material possessions and amount of money to prove that this janitor is doing better than my so-called "friends" with art degrees, who are not nearly as happy or fulfilled as said janitor because they do not have his stuff?

Did I read that right?
Well, no. Material possession isn't the point. Nice try, though.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:27 PM

592 posts, read 804,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Well, no. Material possession isn't the point. Nice try, though.
Most people are missing the point you're trying to make. Material possessions do not equal wealth, however a janitor who appears to be living a nice quality of life defies the typical ideal of someone with a job like that. Regardless of how he got it, I would be happy to see a janitor driving a nice car like that. Maybe they work hard, and are very good with their money.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:45 PM

858 posts, read 1,813,964 times
I get your point and I agree with it. A bachelors is not the only option to be have a gratifying career and make good money.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:45 PM

313 posts, read 498,364 times
I don't think the car you own shows how much money you have BUT I do understand your sentiment.

I know bar tenders who work full time and make more money than any RN - even specialized nurses that I know here in the bay area who work 3-5 12 hour shifts a week. But, sometimes it's not about the money and it's the fact that some people prefer helping people rather than getting them drunk for your entire life.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:52 PM

29,887 posts, read 25,028,314 times
Plenty of blue collar workplaces are filled with high end vehicles. Hard to tell if the workers have overextended themselves financially, or if they really are paid well. OTOH, I know several high paid white collar workers who drive rather bland and boring vehicles. They are happier with the money in their investment/bank account.

Hehe, one of my friends graduated college with about 24K in debt. First thing he did when he found a ($17/hr) job was sign on the dotted line for a brand new 40K mustang with all the bells and whistles. Sure, people can buy nice cars, but it says nothing about their financial standing. I'm much happier driving my 12 YO old, 80K mile Buick. Get's me where I need to go, never has any problems, and offers plenty of room. Maybe nice cars really do equate to happiness, but I have a hard time believing that.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:38 PM

7,942 posts, read 7,860,229 times
Owning a car isn't exactly a sign of wealth. If someone is really wealthy they don't own a car...people go to them, not the other way around!

Besides half the population of the country lives in cities and having one while living in a city doesn't make that much sense cost wise. Sure a luxury car can be nice but as a potential investment it drops in value like a rock. For utility it still fails because someone can just take a bus, taxi or train. The era of the used car salesman with the checkerboard pants bragging about how many women you'll get with some Old's 88 are long gone.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
Most people are missing the point you're trying to make. Material possessions do not equal wealth, however a janitor who appears to be living a nice quality of life defies the typical ideal of someone with a job like that. Regardless of how he got it, I would be happy to see a janitor driving a nice car like that. Maybe they work hard, and are very good with their money.
Of course most people are missing the point.

The point is it pains me to see so many kids getting conned by schools and professors in thinking a degree in art, art history, english, philosophy, etc. will get them like $70k/year straight out of college. Every single person I've ever known to have an art degree always ended up working a minimum wage job.

Regarding the janitor, people focused on the material possession part of my posts. But that's not the main point. The main point is the janitor seems perfectly happy to me. He drives a nice car and uses a nice phone. He jokes around with us in the office. He walks around with style. Last time he was in the office with me around, he talked about his wife and kids. That's a hell of a better life, it seems, than all these art majors that ended up in their parents' basements unemployed for years after college before getting a job at walmart or star bucks.

But whatever. If people want to continue focusing on the wrong part of my posts, go right ahead. No point in talking to dense people.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Plenty of blue collar workplaces are filled with high end vehicles. Hard to tell if the workers have overextended themselves financially, or if they really are paid well. OTOH, I know several high paid white collar workers who drive rather bland and boring vehicles. They are happier with the money in their investment/bank account.

Hehe, one of my friends graduated college with about 24K in debt. First thing he did when he found a ($17/hr) job was sign on the dotted line for a brand new 40K mustang with all the bells and whistles. Sure, people can buy nice cars, but it says nothing about their financial standing. I'm much happier driving my 12 YO old, 80K mile Buick. Get's me where I need to go, never has any problems, and offers plenty of room. Maybe nice cars really do equate to happiness, but I have a hard time believing that.

I know that plenty of blue collar work places are filled with high end cars. I'm an engineer. My personal vehicle is a malibu with 120k miles on it. Half the laborers and foremen who work under me drive way better cars than I do. I make a lot more than they do, and before I started driving the company car they always asked me why didn't I buy a better car. I kept telling them I'm not a car person. Couldn't care less what I'm driving. I have different priorities than what car I'm driving.

That said, the point I've been trying to make, and people have been missing, is that I'm not saying the janitor is a wealthy man. How in the world did people even get that from my posts? Where did I say the janitor is a wealthy man? I said he drives a mercedes, which seems to make him happy enough. He cleans our offices while smiling and joking around with us. We have a few guys that love tech, and the janitor when he comes around always talks with them about the latest gadgets. I've heard him talk about his wife and kids, and how they're applying for college. He seems perfectly happy to me, which contradicts the stigma that society has put on janitorial work.

Every single art BA person I've ever known ended up in walmart, star bucks, call centers, etc. which also contradicts how society views people with college degrees. I know a couple philosophy phd's who drive taxi cabs for a living.

The path to happiness in life isn't always a college degree. In my case, it happens to be. But it doesn't have to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment