Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 04:22 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,492,870 times

Advertisements

Is this thread about underestimating certain jobs or bashing humanities degrees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 04:26 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,286,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post
LOL @ thinking guy having a Mercedes means that guy's rich. I'm carless so obviously I must be poor, right?
Really.

I hope the OP actually talked to the guy and didn't make a judgement based on the type of car he drove.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Well, it's a 2013 mercedes. While I drive a company car, my personal car is an old clunky chevy malibu. I can't imagine myself buying a mercedes anytime soon, and I make... more than the average in my profession.

Still, the fact that my janitor could afford a 2013 mercedes proves that the job isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
I can't understand this logic.

Do you know how he got the car? He could have inherited it. I could be his mother's/sister's/wife's/brother's.

Come on, now.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Of course most people are missing the point.

The point is it pains me to see so many kids getting conned by schools and professors in thinking a degree in art, art history, english, philosophy, etc. will get them like $70k/year straight out of college. Every single person I've ever known to have an art degree always ended up working a minimum wage job.

Regarding the janitor, people focused on the material possession part of my posts. But that's not the main point. The main point is the janitor seems perfectly happy to me. He drives a nice car and uses a nice phone. He jokes around with us in the office. He walks around with style. Last time he was in the office with me around, he talked about his wife and kids. That's a hell of a better life, it seems, than all these art majors that ended up in their parents' basements unemployed for years after college before getting a job at walmart or star bucks.

But whatever. If people want to continue focusing on the wrong part of my posts, go right ahead. No point in talking to dense people.
Sweetie,

How do you know the janitor doesn't have a degree?

You need to learn how to make an argument and stop making assumptions. We aren't the dense ones.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:33 PM

174 posts, read 333,152 times
I respect all professions, but find it hard to believe that a janitor can truly afford a Mercedes. It could be true in this case alone, I doubt the vast majority of janitors in this world can afford a car like that.

I suspect this janitor has alternative earning streams (a side business, investing in stocks), or he's being supported by someone else (eg. a rich family member or wife who has earning power). Based on his janitorial job alone, I really have my doubts.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:35 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,720,063 times
You can thank mass media for imprinting such shallow views on others.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:38 PM

303 posts, read 396,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Is this thread about underestimating certain jobs or bashing humanities degrees?
...you know the deal.

My boyfriend actually has a Mercedes and a blue collar job - he inherited the former from his rich uncle, but it doesn't stop his boss from taking the credit.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:47 PM

90 posts, read 123,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
The twisted logic on this board makes my head spin sometimes.

If you are really that curious about janitor salaries, a Google search would give you the answer in a few seconds.

Janitor Salary Information | Best Jobs | US News Careers

The best paid janitors make about $38K per year. The median salary is $22K.
How dare you insert actual facts into this discussion!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Sweetie,

How do you know the janitor doesn't have a degree?
Not to mention, how does she know the car is a 2013 model?
Auto designs don't change from year to year like they did a couple generations ago.
Maybe she asked him? "What year is that damn Mercedes??"

This is what's known as a BS OP. The janitor does not drive a 2013 Mercedes.

Probably doesn't drive a Mercedes at all. Also, janitor is not a profession

Old 03-01-2014, 07:46 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,038,540 times
Quote:
People here keeps missing the point. But whatever...
Yep. I had to quit reading after this post because every post was, "yeah but". Your point was not lost on everyone, just a vocal few.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:49 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,038,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respondent View Post
How dare you insert actual facts into this discussion!!

Not to mention, how does she know the car is a 2013 model?
Auto designs don't change from year to year like they did a couple generations ago.
Maybe she asked him? "What year is that damn Mercedes??"

This is what's known as a BS OP. The janitor does not drive a 2013 Mercedes.

Probably doesn't drive a Mercedes at all. Also, janitor is not a profession
Just because you didn't understand it doesn't mean you have to berate the OP. She is a regular contributor on the forums with a solid reputation of contributing to the community. I doubt very much that she is making it up. To have a guy with 47 feedback make those allegations is just wrong son. Sit down and learn some respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment