Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:31 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,498,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Still, the fact that my janitor could afford a 2013 mercedes proves that the job isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
The twisted logic on this board makes my head spin sometimes.

If you are really that curious about janitor salaries, a Google search would give you the answer in a few seconds.

Janitor Salary Information | Best Jobs | US News Careers

The best paid janitors make about $38K per year. The median salary is $22K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 09:29 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times
Sometimes people can get things by simply knowing how to shop.

I used to work at a work clothing company but they had other lines for various uniforms of companies (airlines, rail, restaurants etc). Most of what they sell is actually rented. In the past they sold more to customers and actually had a small store that closed a long time ago.

Anyway I received a flier a month ago about how they were kinda bringing back the store part time. Now I knew for awhile they used to sell clothing to a discounter which has since closed up shop. Needless to say I could picture some pent up volume waiting to be sold. I was right. I bought a blazer for $3 and a two piece suit for $6. Yes I had to have the suit hemmed but even with that I easily saved hundreds.

I'll also say since electronics constantly drop in price if there is an insurance claim for whatever reason people get upgrades. If you have a 720p hdtv from 2006 and have an electrical surge chance are they don't make that same set so the claim will be for the amount paid to be spent today. Computers can be the same but that's more about the data.

Plenty of people buy things used. I have a laptop that years ago went for $3500. I paid maybe 10% of that. It was so far ahead that it's normal specs now but the build quality of this is higher.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
Or he could be selling illegal stuff on the side... or he could have a sugar mama... or he could have inherited a sum of money... or it might have been a gift... or he might have won it... Why not ask him? Bet you'll get a friendlier response than you did here!!

Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Or he could be selling illegal stuff on the side... or he could have a sugar mama... or he could have inherited a sum of money... or it might have been a gift... or he might have won it... Why not ask him? Bet you'll get a friendlier response than you did here!!
I actually don't care that much about how friendly responses are here. If people continue to think an art/art history degree is better than learning a trade, they can continue to do so. Starbucks and walmart always need more heavily debted BA holders.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:59 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,487,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I'm working out of my field office today. The custodian just came and he is cleaning right now. He drives a Mercedes.

I keep telling people. No job is beneath us. And there are plenty of jobs that pay extremely well even though they have the stigma of having a low social status.

Young people who are reading these boards, keep in mind that college isn't for everybody. My janitor is doing way way way better than all of my friends who got an art degree combined.
That is so true. I think blue collar workers are the ones who fare much better in the long run. I've met a few that own multiple homes and are receiving big pensions and 401ks.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:34 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittelschmirz View Post
Its like paying a motel maid the same and as tool and die maker.

Where are these tool and die makers? I know a few machinists but they are becoming rare in this country. You must mean the Mexican tool and die makers.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:31 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Look up what Janitors earn. Here is a list by the BLS of every single type of job you can think if, and the median wage for that job.

May 2012 National Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

Janitors do not make the type of money, to buy a year old Mercedes or even to lease it.

What you don't know is what the total household income is per year.

1: Does he have a trust fund, etc., that gives him a high income in addition to working as a janitor?

2: If he is married what kind of income does his wife have. It is possible he is married to a top surgeon etc?

3: Did he hit the lottery, and just wants to keep working?

4: Etc., etc., etc.

As Paul Harvey used to say, now for the rest of the story.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:20 PM

n/a posts
I'd rather have a good job and no car than live as a janitor and have a Mercedes.

Of course, I'd be willing to be a janitor...or drive a Mercedes....I'm just saying a good car isn't enough to do something I don't want to do. Janitorial work, or whatever else.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:55 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
The OP really hates art.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:19 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
The OP really hates art.
Well, no. I came from a long line of artists, actually. My dad is a pianist. I passed that to me. I'm quite a musician myself. While I was in college, I spent many evenings playing in a jazz group at cafes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment