Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 10:34 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Young people who are reading these boards, keep in mind that college isn't for everybody. My janitor is doing way way way better than all of my friends who got an art degree combined.
I agree! Some people aren't cut out for anything but vo-tech, and when did that start to become unpopular/phased out?

Do we not need welders, mechanics, nurses aides, etc... anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
I get your point and I agree with it. A bachelors is not the only option to be have a gratifying career and make good money.
I know guys in the mines around here that are making 80K a year, with nothing more than a HS diploma or even a GED and the mine cert classes training.

There is NO WAY a BA in Art History will get you that kind of monetary cushion in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawhitham View Post
I don't think the car you own shows how much money you have BUT I do understand your sentiment.

I know bar tenders who work full time and make more money than any RN - even specialized nurses that I know here in the bay area who work 3-5 12 hour shifts a week. But, sometimes it's not about the money and it's the fact that some people prefer helping people rather than getting them drunk for your entire life.
I'm guessing you've never been a bar tender?

It's a bit more than slinging drinks; well if you want to be successful anyway.

Haven't you ever heard the saying "a bar tender is the best kind of therapist"?

As a bartender, you not only mix/serve drinks, you are the party ringmaster of ceremonies, a comedian, sounding board, therapist, best friend, and abuse taker, just to name a few.

I'm not saying that tending bar is more noble or important than an RN, it's not, my point was that bar tending isn't just about getting people drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 10:40 PM

303 posts, read 396,251 times
People with fancy cars and not-so-high paying jobs live with their parents far more often than you'd think. They also have breadwinner spouses and relatives willing to engage in "shadow" financing for them so they can have shiny things.

"Some people aren't cut out for anything but vo-tech, and when did that start to become unpopular/phased out?"

Probably around the same time that the idea that "some people aren't cut out for anything but vo-tech" became popular.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:26 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
When I was 18, I rebelled against my parents, dropped out of college and went to work as a janitor. I made $7/hour, no benefits, and went home every day feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. No Mercedes either.

One thing that was really memorable to me was that my coworkers who were in their 40's looked much, much older. All of the men had been to jail at least once, except for one man who was deaf.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:01 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
I'm working out of my field office today. The custodian just came and he is cleaning right now. He drives a Mercedes.

I keep telling people. No job is beneath us. And there are plenty of jobs that pay extremely well even though they have the stigma of having a low social status.

Young people who are reading these boards, keep in mind that college isn't for everybody. My janitor is doing way way way better than all of my friends who got an art degree combined.
Yep owning a Mercedes means you got it made:LOL.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:34 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Our lovely custodian was once married to a pro baseball player. She is a joy, does an amazing job and seems very content with life. I agree. Don't underestimate anyone!

Old 03-01-2014, 04:16 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,817 times
Quote:
Well, it's a 2013 mercedes. While I drive a company car, my personal car is an old clunky chevy malibu. I can't imagine myself buying a mercedes anytime soon, and I make... more than the average in my profession.

Still, the fact that my janitor could afford a 2013 mercedes proves that the job isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
It doesn't prove anything at all! Thread closed!!

Old 03-01-2014, 05:42 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
I guess a car is a visible status symbol. You can live in the best neighborhood but that doesn't show. And a custodian can't dress nice. Incidentally I understand the custodians in NYC public schools are paid very well.http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...120023614.html

Last edited by pvande55; 03-01-2014 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: Add link

Old 03-01-2014, 06:56 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,597 times
Wife told the director of operations if he wantd a new Mercedes he would have to find a part time job to pay for it. Meet your new janitor.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:03 AM

13 posts, read 24,640 times
This is the borrowing era. Typically the people who don't have money are the ones going out and buying the Mercedes. Those with money, have money because they are good at keeping it.

I went through a phase in college where I was working three well-paying part time jobs, and college and rent were covered. I was the idiot driving new BMW and Mercedes instead of saving and I was FAR from wealthy. Anyone with a co-signer or a decent credit history can lease a new Mercedes or BMW for <$350/MO.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:14 AM

417 posts, read 867,272 times
Good for him, probably a C class 2013 you pick those up for around 20-30k depending on miles and condition and engine...If you are making 40k or so and have low bills sure he could swing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment