Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:56 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,243,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
So something else is a factor and it would make sense to find out what it is.
This is a good point, especially given that black women are more educated than black men and make up over 60% of all black college graduates--and the number of black women attending or going back to college is increasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 10:12 AM

1,922 posts, read 4,001,040 times
Really? I think it depends on being somewhat realistic in terms of your job search. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices. I moved from NJ to Chicago for a job, by myself and I'm a young black woman.

Experience was great, but now it's time to get back to NJ.

I've had interviews all week in terms of finding employment back home in the NYC/NJ area.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:16 AM

894 posts, read 1,055,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Basically, the GOP hates everything good for America. That's why they wage war on the government, USPS, and unions. Minorities have always been respresented in larger quantities in the public sector or unionized manufacturing jobs. The Republicans (deemed the party of old, rich white men) want to cut, cut, cut. This disproportionately affects who?
Ah yes, once again it's all white people's fault. So your saying we should keep unnecessary government jobs just for the sake of employing minorities? The USPS loses billions every year because they're going broke paying out pensions to retired workers, that's not the fault of white Republicans. Stop with the entitlement mentality, nobody owes you a job.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:57 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,921,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
This is a good point, especially given that black women are more educated than black men and make up over 60% of all black college graduates--and the number of black women attending or going back to college is increasing.
Yes, but;

- Is it relevant education?
- Other factors; there is more to obtaining a job than just education, if it was that simple, we would not have the unemployed/under employed college graduate problem we have, for all demographic groups.
- Mobility factors in the ability and willingness to relocate for a job.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, but;

- Is it relevant education?
- Other factors; there is more to obtaining a job than just education, if it was that simple, we would not have the unemployed/under employed college graduate problem we have, for all demographic groups.
- Mobility factors in the ability and willingness to relocate for a job.
One of my friends has an MBA. She's black and she can't find job. I know another black woman with a masters in IT who couldn't find a job. I've also known black women with JD's who can't find work.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:32 AM

I'm also wondering if this is a location thing as well. I wonder if this is across the country or more of an issue in specific regions.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:47 AM

12,200 posts, read 8,590,200 times
I find the data hard to believe. There are a lot of well-qualified Black women around. And around here, at least, it seems that people are sensitive to hiring women of color. Is this really true?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:55 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,456,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
One of my friends has an MBA. She's black and she can't find job. I know another black woman with a masters in IT who couldn't find a job. I've also known black women with JD's who can't find work.
I know people of ALL colors who have degrees and cant find jobs, theyre called millenials. Having a degree is 10% of the battle of landing a career. Too many people don't realize this. BTW the job placement rate for someone with a JD is something like 50%. So bad example there.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:58 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,456,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Basically, the GOP hates everything good for America. That's why they wage war on the government, USPS, and unions. Minorities have always been respresented in larger quantities in the public sector or unionized manufacturing jobs. The Republicans (deemed the party of old, rich white men) want to cut, cut, cut. This disproportionately affects who?
No the GDP holds the opinion that Americans shouldn't be taxed to pay for a massive, incompetent, wasteful, pitiful excuse for a government. Tell me why I should give over my paycheck to a government that spends MORE than they take in? The can obviously do without my money if they have to print money out of thin air to keep up with their spending. Read about the core beliefs of Conservatism, its about personal responsibility and keeping the size of the government down so that we don't have to be taxed to death like many other Nations.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:18 PM

22,060 posts, read 25,415,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
No the GDP holds the opinion that Americans shouldn't be taxed to pay for a massive, incompetent, wasteful, pitiful excuse for a government.
No, they really don't, I'm assuming you mean GOP.

Quote:
Tell me why I should give over my paycheck to a government that spends MORE than they take in? The can obviously do without my money if they have to print money out of thin air to keep up with their spending.
Good question. But getting back to your first point, remember the 2009 deficit? You know, the biggest one ever? Remember who signed that budget? Bush. CATO attributes only $140 million of the $1.4 trillion dollar deficit to Obama since he signed some additional appropriations into law that further increased the 2009 deficit above Bush's eyepopper.

Quote:
Read about the core beliefs of Conservatism, its about personal responsibility and keeping the size of the government down so that we don't have to be taxed to death like many other Nations.
[/quote]

Yes, unfortunately the "GDP" fails completely at it. Conservatism is mostly dead in America. It had a brief moment where it looked like it might be coming back, and then the Tea Party got distracted and basically became Christian Right 2.0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment