Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,931,850 times

Advertisements

I can't believe that people actually believe we even have affirmative action for most jobs. And that it was actually helpful for black women.

Honestly, because of the sentiments displayed in this very thread, I did not add a picture to my LinkedIn profile until just a year ago. I've been on LinkedIn for over a decade, but there is still plenty of stereotyping of black women and i did not want to potentially impact my first professional impressions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 10:19 PM

9,017 posts, read 13,864,216 times
Black women and black men unemployment rates are equal it seems from the info in the OP.
It also seems maybe black men "took" the jobs from black women?

Old 09-18-2014, 11:15 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,646,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
This is spot on. It may not be as blatant as high school but work is definitely cliquey. Also I imagine public sector work is cliquey as well. Not everyone would want a government job (not saying there is anything wrong with them.) There are people in my college circle who probably wouldn't be caught dead working a government job.
LOL. As a former HR manager in the private sector, we would not have been caught dead in a public sector job. We considered it as people who couldn't cut it in the competitive, dog eat dog, private sector went to get jobs. Of course, the public sector is now the new GM retirees. Good benefits, good pensions, can't be fired and didn't work near as hard as we did......boy, did we mess up. lol.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:31 PM

303 posts, read 396,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I can't believe that people actually believe we even have affirmative action for most jobs. And that it was actually helpful for black women.

Honestly, because of the sentiments displayed in this very thread, I did not add a picture to my LinkedIn profile until just a year ago. I've been on LinkedIn for over a decade, but there is still plenty of stereotyping of black women and i did not want to potentially impact my first professional impressions.
I still haven't added a photo to my LinkedIn - my name is racially ambiguous, and I definitely need the interview practice.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:32 PM

31,963 posts, read 27,110,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
LOL. As a former HR manager in the private sector, we would not have been caught dead in a public sector job. We considered it as people who couldn't cut it in the competitive, dog eat dog, private sector went to get jobs. Of course, the public sector is now the new GM retirees. Good benefits, good pensions, can't be fired and didn't work near as hard as we did......boy, did we mess up. lol.
Public sector pensions are not the sacred cow they once were for many state and municipal workers. Cannot speak for everywhere but here in NYS and a few other areas one knows of at least new hires are often put on a different "Tier" for pension benefits. They will thus contribute more, have a higher retirement age for full benefits, and other changes which equal they will be getting less than "older" workers.

State and local governments are waking up to the fact they cannot keep handing out generous pensions. This is true when many of the local rate payers have nothing nearly equaling. That plus contributions are eating into budgets.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena777 View Post
I still haven't added a photo to my LinkedIn - my name is racially ambiguous, and I definitely need the interview practice.
I don't know if there is a correlation, but i started a new job a few weeks ago, a hear after starting my last. And i got way more respjnses this time. No clue if it the economy, picture or a more obvious job title this time around.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:54 AM

69 posts, read 67,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena777 View Post
Quote:

I realize networking and gaining professional contacts is becoming an increasingly vital element in obtaining a job, or even an interview nowadays, and I see LinkedIn as being an excellent resource to do so. I will be creating a profile soon and never thought of this as being an issue, but reading each of your responses has me a bit worried. Would you recommend not including a profile picture, although my name isn't the most racially ambiguous and may be an indication of my ethnicity anyway?

I will add though that in MY experience I don't feel my race has been a hindrance to me every landing a job, and in fact in the past four years I've landed 5/6 jobs I've interviewed for. (And made it to 3rd round interview of the one I didn't get).

That's not to say I disagree with your statement about stereotypes, in fact, I absolutely do agree that there are still many harmful stereotypes against us black women, and you're right you never know if it'll potentially harm us in the hiring process which is a shame.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFishBigPond View Post
I realize networking and gaining professional contacts is becoming an increasingly vital element in obtaining a job, or even an interview nowadays, and I see LinkedIn as being an excellent resource to do so. I will be creating a profile soon and never thought of this as being an issue, but reading each of your responses has me a bit worried. Would you recommend not including a profile picture, although my name isn't the most racially ambiguous and may be an indication of my ethnicity anyway?

I will add though that in MY experience I don't feel my race has been a hindrance to me every landing a job, and in fact in the past four years I've landed 5/6 jobs I've interviewed for. (And made it to 3rd round interview of the one I didn't get).

That's not to say I disagree with your statement about stereotypes, in fact, I absolutely do agree that there are still many harmful stereotypes against us black women, and you're right you never know if it'll potentially harm us in the hiring process which is a shame.
Definitely create a profile! Like right now.

I work in tech and it is pretty cliquey. It was probably worse when I was younger (in terms of stereotyping) locally, now there are different problems.

My feeling is when I was a junior employee (and tough competition who had better experience) with limited experience I needed to minimize all red flags. Now that I am more experienced that shines through and people are more likely to be over it. I have always had a high conversion rate when I get the interview. Getting past the front door is the hard part.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:48 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,210,018 times
Quote:

The primary beneficiary of AA is white women

Old 09-19-2014, 10:16 AM

8,446 posts, read 4,764,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Basically, the GOP hates everything good for America. That's why they wage war on the government, USPS, and unions. Minorities have always been respresented in larger quantities in the public sector or unionized manufacturing jobs. The Republicans (deemed the party of old, rich white men) want to cut, cut, cut. This disproportionately affects who?
Quit bogarting, man. The rule is puff puff pass, not puff puff puff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment