Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:37 AM

20,947 posts, read 19,107,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I worked a job for only six weeks then my husband passed and for reasons I decided to leave my job. I was given to T shirts to wear to work, but, the job won't mail my last paycheck for me until I return my t shirts. I'm happy to return the t shirts, but, I'm 300 miles away handling some of my husbands final affairs and I could use my final check. I find this odd that two lousy T shirts and they won't mail me my last $300 check! Is this seem normal? I guess I shouldn't be surprised since we didn't even have warm water and had to buy our own toilet paper...
Sorry for your loss.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:05 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,733,583 times
Just to clear up some things since some people are getting very nasty. I did not live with my husband we had been apart for exactly one year on the day he died. He was a chronic alcoholic and had become violent and verbally physcially abusive. It was a horrible thing to see a brilliant, kind person taken down by this disease. He lost our house, his health, our pets all of his friends and few family he had left. He finally drank himself to death alone in a dirty apartment and his body wasn't found for days until September 3. I am his sole survivor and I needed to go up to the white mountains of NH where he wished to be buried to get his headstone set up and scatter his ashes. This was more important to me than returning to T shirts that they they never even told me I needed to return until I was already in the White Mountains. I hope this clears all the questions up of why I'm such a horrible person and all.......

Old 09-22-2014, 06:17 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,780,192 times
...I just got a headache reading these posts. Did ANYONE comprehend what the OP explained at all? Or was this this the usual dogpile?

From what I gathered, she was away from the shirts. Her husband may have suddenly passed due to the situation she explained so she didn't have time to ship the shirts back to the job.

An employer can't withhold a check that long.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:19 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,733,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
...I just got a headache reading these posts. Did ANYONE comprehend what the OP explained at all? Or was this this the usual dogpile?

From what I gathered, she was away from the shirts. Her husband may have suddenly passed due to the situation she explained so she didn't have time to ship the shirts back to the job.

Thank you!

Old 09-22-2014, 07:48 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,299,742 times
I always thought that an employer could not withold an entire paycheck - but they could deduct the amount owed from your last check.

OP, have you called them and spoken with them since your last post? I'm sure that you are busy....but you found the time to post here.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:55 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,091,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I always thought that an employer could not withold an entire paycheck - but they could deduct the amount owed from your last check.

OP, have you called them and spoken with them since your last post? I'm sure that you are busy....but you found the time to post here.
An employer can not withhold any of the paycheck. If the former employee gives written permission, than the amount can be deducted.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:20 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,709,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post

Typical dogpile on the op. It's particularly disgusting when posters only post to slap someones hand because they feel they're superior and brighter than everyone else.

I still say my suggestion of calling the owner of the company or the company president will get this resolved in short order.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,419,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Typical dogpile on the op. It's particularly disgusting when posters only post to slap someones hand because they feel they're superior and brighter than everyone else.

I still say my suggestion of calling the owner of the company or the company president will get this resolved in short order.
I do sympathize with the OP, but there's only so much that can be done when she's 300 miles from the shirts.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:43 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,648,666 times
Surely there is someone in the same town as the shirts who could go over to your place, get the shirts and mail them, or drive them over to your former workplace. In the time you have spent monitoring this forum and responding to all the messages, you could have worked this out by now.

What town do you live in? Maybe one of us could do it for you.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:47 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,709,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I do sympathize with the OP, but there's only so much that can be done when she's 300 miles from the shirts.

Yes, that is the factor the op cannot change. So what can the op change? The person she is dealing with, because that person has no compassion or common sense. Time to bump it up to someone who should have those qualities and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment